Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whole pork shoulder (New Yourk Shoulder)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to thank Elder Ward for his wonderful instructions on the North Carolina Pork Butt. I was very impressed with the outcome and so excited about this new discovery that I want to attempt a whole pork shoulder for Superbowl Sunday, which includes the picnic shoulder and the butt connected. My butcher tells me he can get one that weighs 16-17lbs. My question is, (I am hoping that Elder Ward is reading this) Has anyone ever attempted this on the BGE and if so, could he/she (I'm from California, so I have to be politically correct) please share the results with me? [p]Thank you, all.

Comments

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Rick Windham,[p]I'm in late and yes reading your post. Thanks for all the nice things you have said. Yes I have done that much and more really you will need to do nothing different execpt this: If the pieces of meat differ in size more than a few pounds and you have but one probe mesaure the smaller one. When it is done transfer the probe to the larger one when you remove the smaller. You may find that both are done at the same time but if not let the first set for 15-20 min. then shread or pull and cover until bigger one is done. If you are using all the meat at once just mix both up and serve. I use to do the larger piece as the monitor piece but the smaller one seemed drier so I quite doing that. :)[p]Posted from soggy Camarillo, CA aaaaah winter at last.[p]Elder Ward[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Rick Windham,[p]I don't see that getting the whole shoulder, still with both pieces connected, will be any advantage - more likely the opposite would be true. The taste of the picnic will be slightly different than the butt - but once cooked and sauced you will nnot be able to tell any difference. As Elder said, they will cook differently (one has a huge bone that speeds cooking somewhat) and reach 200 at different times. Have fun with it - [p]Tim
  • I've done two large butts and a picnic together (3 pieces). The picnic yielded less (% edible meat) than the butts, cost more per pound because I couldn't get it from Sams or Costco, and had a different, but not better, texture and flavor. I prefer to do two or three butts, and won't do another picnic.

• Elder Ward,[p]Thank you very much for your quick response and feedback. I'm sure all my friends pulling for the Rams will appreciate it. I understand there's a Tennessee style of barbecuing, but I hope it's not lamb that they eat.[p]Much appreciated,
    Rick Windham

• George,[p]Thanks for your response. I'm trying the whole pork shoulder mainly for aesthetic reasons, but I agree the pork butt is the better part of the meat.[p]Rick

• Tim M,[p]Thanks for your feedback. I agree that the pork butt is probably the better part of the meat.[p]Rick