Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roaster recommendation & heads up price for Farm & Fleet folks

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
Last Sunday I served 18+ pounds of pulled pork from egging 9 butts. The issue has been raised here many times on reheating and serving so much pulled pork. Thankfully I was able to borrow a NESCO brand roaster. The porcelain coated pan pulls out so you can pour in water as a heat transfer agent and not a steaming agent. AMAZON sells various models but the middle of the road one I have used and liked sells for like $65. While this is a seldom used item for many of us here it might be a nice thing to buy to pass around for you big family groups, churches, organizations etc. Here is the AMAZON one I used - BUT it you are in the Farm & Fleet market in IL or the other side of the company known as Fleet & Farm in WI I see they have that same model on sell for $38.
https://www.amazon.com/Nesco-4818-14-18-Quart-Porcelain-Cookwell/dp/B003AB9CSC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1474073091&sr=8-5&keywords=nesco+roaster
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    Options
    ooooh - and when you can buy them be sure to spend the few bucks for these insert bags!!! It makes clean up nothing more than saving what you want and then pitching the bag - so NO CLEAN UP!!!
    https://www.amazon.com/PanSaver-Electric-Roaster-Liners-1-pack/dp/B002VS8BBY/ref=pd_bxgy_79_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1YMNPWGN6AEJR1MYTS1E
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice deal.  Nesco makes great stuff for a great price.  The roasters are staples for pulled pork, beans.  Their dehydrators are another good bang for the buck purchase.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Love the insert bags, never knew they exist.  Sorry Ron, didn't mean to threadjack, cheap a$$ like me got this for $8 monopoly money on CL, use it almost exclusively as SV vessel, even made a custom styrofoam lid for it.

canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Last Sunday I served 18+ pounds of pulled pork from egging 9 butts. The issue has been raised here many times on reheating and serving so much pulled pork. Thankfully I was able to borrow a NESCO brand roaster. The porcelain coated pan pulls out so you can pour in water as a heat transfer agent and not a steaming agent. AMAZON sells various models but the middle of the road one I have used and liked sells for like $65. While this is a seldom used item for many of us here it might be a nice thing to buy to pass around for you big family groups, churches, organizations etc. Here is the AMAZON one I used - BUT it you are in the Farm & Fleet market in IL or the other side of the company known as Fleet & Farm in WI I see they have that same model on sell for $38.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nesco-4818-14-18-Quart-Porcelain-Cookwell/dp/B003AB9CSC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1474073091&sr=8-5&keywords=nesco+roaster
    Btw- (Blains) Farm and Fleet & (Mills)Fleet Farm are 2 different companies. Both great customers of mine but totally separate. They are both based out of WI but have stores all
    through your area. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Nine butts yielded 18lbs of pulled pork?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Focker said:
    Nice deal.  Nesco makes great stuff for a great price.  The roasters are staples for pulled pork, beans.  Their dehydrators are another good bang for the buck purchase.
    Agree. For "the money" Nesco is a tough act to follow. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    Legume said:
    Nine butts yielded 18lbs of pulled pork?
    Yes. Starting weight for the 9 butts was 78.8 pounds. Trimmed of pretty heavy fat caps on all of them plus sloppy trimming at the slaughter house that lost 8.5 pounds so beginning weight for egging was 70.3 pounds. The second butt which was 7 pounds trimmed out was the first overnighter and that's when I discovered in the morning that my Guru had lost its mind and that butt was a total loss and got tossed. That meant I started with only 63.3 pounds instead of 70.3. Then three of the remaining 8 butts had large fist sized masses of tangled textured meat that simply was gristle and there was no way I was going to even chop up that crap!  So when all said and done I ended up with 18.5 pounds of finished hand pulled pork that I was proud to serve to the neighborhood with my name attached. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Guys! NO MORE GADGETS!
    Our home is full of it and I am not buying any more. Just got done with the fryer ....  =)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Costco has one right now in the 30 dollar range and I think it's 18 qt?
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Those roasters have had a place in our house for 40 years.  Used for the turkey at Thanksgiving.  Great item to have.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    These were staples in your mother's/grandmother's days, just ask her if you can have hers. In my and my spouses families, I've had to donate a few of them to Goodwill when they've downsized since the one I have is still going strong after all these years.