Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Center Cut Lump Charcoal

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited September 2016
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    It would be a cold day in hell before I
    A.)  bought a known Russian product
    B.)  supported Billary (ABC)
    C.)   shopped in Wally World

No connection to the thread but it is approaching a dark and stormy night- One more shot of brown water to achieve LEO.  

Don't worry Cap- it will be branded Trump Lump soon. Dude loves him some Russia. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    If it's up there with Trump steaks then "no worries".  And I'm workin on a  Trump U Russian Studies degree.  I hear the State Department is hiring  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If it's up there with Trump steaks then "no worries".  And I'm workin on a  Trump U Russian Studies degree.  I hear the State Department is hiring  ;)
    Ha ha. We live in crazy times, my friend. Every time I think it can't get more odd, I am unpleasantly surprised. It appears the ground floor is a moving target and we have sadly yet to find it. 
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    It would be a cold day in hell before I
    A.)  bought a known Russian product
    B.)  supported Billary (ABC)
    C.)   shopped in Wally World

No connection to the thread but it is approaching a dark and stormy night- One more shot of brown water to achieve LEO.  

1.  I don't know about your math, but Russia has the largest country land mass.  Lump=trees.  Land mass=tree potential.  And it's not rain forest wood like Fogo.

A.  Why discriminate against Russia?  They make some pretty decent firearms and vodka.  Not to mention they've hacked everyone else that the Chinese haven't already compromised.

B.  WTF are you talking about ABC?

C.  It's not sold at Wally World bro.

Cheers (not that you need it).
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This is the first time that I clicked on this thread. Sure wasn't what I was expecting. But in my own defense, I'm not even sure of what I was expecting. Carry on my long haired friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    4 posts in and talking mad sh!t. You will fit in just fine. 

And ABC means "Anyone But Clinton" in lousubcap's world. 

And lousubcap was the captain of the USS Louisville attack sub. He's not your bro. 
  • brentm
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yeah as a BGE owner.  I'm shocked at the quality of the posts coming from this forum. 

Go spend 20 bucks and come back and and tell us how bad the lump was.... otherwise, join the rest of those eating whatever from pictures were posted above ;).
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    brentm said:
    Yeah as a BGE owner.  I'm shocked at the quality of the posts coming from this forum. 

Go spend 20 bucks and come back and and tell us how bad the lump was.... otherwise, join the rest of those eating whatever from pictures were posted above ;).
    Well your first 5 posts have been amazing. thanks for blowing our minds. As a BGE owner and all. 
  • brentm
    Options

And lousubcap was the captain of the USS Louisville attack sub. He's not your bro. 
    Yeah, I just don't see how all of the rhetoric fits into what is a fairly straight forward conversation about lump charcoal.  Clinton?  Trump?  Eating cow dung?

I was really impressed with this particular lump and thought I'd chime in on what seemed like a straight forward conversation on the topic.  Apparently, not so much.

With all sincerity, I appreciate lousubcap's service (any anyone else that has served in our country's armed forces).  I certainly mean no disrespect with my casual comments.

But if you like to use your BGE.  Spend 20 bucks and come back and complain...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    brentm said:

Yeah, I just don't see how all of the rhetoric fits into what is a fairly straight forward conversation about lump charcoal.  Clinton?  Trump?  Eating cow dung?

I was really impressed with this particular lump and thought I'd chime in on what seemed like a straight forward conversation on the topic.  Apparently, not so much.

With all sincerity, I appreciate lousubcap's service (any anyone else that has served in our country's armed forces).  I certainly mean no disrespect with my casual comments.

He loves his eggs, but now he has a dishwasher.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    Options
    You can spend your $$ however you want -some of us apply parameters in a world of choices.  I'm always looking to hose the commies even 20+ years after we kicked them to the curb.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    brentm said:

All good man. Lump topics go south in 5 seconds on here. It's a sport. Just busting your nuts a little as it appears you can dish it and take it. All in good fun. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    brentm said:

He loves his eggs, but now he has a dishwasher.
    Cleanest briskets in town. 
  • brentm
    Options
    you guys are a trip.  carry on!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    brentm said:
    you guys are a trip.  carry on!
    Stick around. It's a good place. I laugh out loud almost every time I come on here. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited September 2016
    Options
    brentm said:
    I'm not sure what lump you use regularly, but if you get a hankering, splurge on a box.  You won't be disappointed.
    Woohoo! thanks to our 'Scanning Code of Practice' ... it scanned at 19.99 at checkout instead of the 14.99 displayed, so I ended up paying 4.99 monopoly money for the box!  Not in any hurry to try since I already have an assortment of open bags

Very impressed with its smell/appearance though, no smell, very light, good sizes.
    canuckland
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    What's the chance that Russian lump is from the Chernobyl region?  Maybe it glows in the dark as well. Easier to see when starting at night. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• brentm
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    What's the chance that Russian lump is from the Chernobyl region?  Maybe it glows in the dark as well. Easier to see when starting at night. 

• bboulier
    Options
    From my experience as a boy scout in Valentine, NE, I strongly recommend buffalo over cow chips.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I needed lump. Haven't purchased lump since last November. I decided to try the Char-Broil lump that comes in a box. It was on sale for under $11. I put 2 boxes in the cart then decided that 1 box is all I needed to see if it lived up to all that fancy writing on the box.  Got home and decided to do a NY Strip on the Mini. Used a Weber fire starter to get in going. In 5 minutes the thermometer was at 500* with just a couple of small handfuls of lump. While I only grabbed lump from the top, it was nice size pieces. It was: light, easy starting, no sparks, little to no smoke, and burned hot. For a fast cook nothing I used in the past compares to it.  

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rockwood.
    That is all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice job.  Nice post.    Every time the lump discussion comes up, I always hope someone will get @caliking fired up enough to talk about his good buddies at WG
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mikee
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Rockwood.
    That is all.

Rockwood does not compare to this. I tried Rockwood; not bad just not a great value. The Char-Broil is a couple of steps above Rockwood. Tonight was my second cook. I did not need any new lump; plenty of lump left from last night. Fired up the existing lump and was at 300* in 5-6 minutes and no smoke. At 11-12 minutes I was at 530*. Closed the vents to back down the temperature as I was just cooking sausage. My guess is tomorrow night I will need to add a 1/4 pound of lump, if that, to cook another meal. Granted, I am just cooking on Mini. The lump glows red hot on each and every piece. The reason they ship it in a heavy duty cardboard box is because of its high carbon content. If shipped in a conventional way like Rockwood and others, it would be nothing but small pieces.

Unless you have purchased it, you only have an opinion that is worthless.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Mikee said:
    YukonRon said:
    Rockwood.
    That is all.

Rockwood does not compare to this. I tried Rockwood; not bad just not a great value. The Char-Broil is a couple of steps above Rockwood. Tonight was my second cook. I did not need any new lump; plenty of lump left from last night. Fired up the existing lump and was at 300* in 5-6 minutes and no smoke. At 11-12 minutes I was at 530*. Closed the vents to back down the temperature as I was just cooking sausage. My guess is tomorrow night I will need to add a 1/4 pound of lump, if that, to cook another meal. Granted, I am just cooking on Mini. The lump glows red hot on each and every piece. The reason they ship it in a heavy duty cardboard box is because of its high carbon content. If shipped in a conventional way like Rockwood and others, it would be nothing but small pieces.

Unless you have purchased it, you only have an opinion that is worthless.

Well... I just purchased my first bags of Rockwood from Firecraft. I'll just say that I am not impressed so far.  One of the two bags was punctured and leaked charcoal dust throughout the box.  Everything else that I ordered was covered in dust.  Most of the bag is unusable small pieces.   I haven't opened the other bag yet but my hopes are not too high...

Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:  And lousubcap was the captain of the USS Louisville attack sub. He's not your bro. 
    Well, color me embarrassed.  All these years and I've been misreading his handle as "Lou's hubcap" and just shrugging it off.  :blush:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lousubcap
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Botch -  I will neither confirm or deny but I'm trying to figure out who may have created/leaked that story.  I have my suspicions as I was asked about the handle in a phone call with a forum member one time.  But that was then...

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Botch -  I will neither confirm or deny but I'm trying to figure out who may have created/leaked that story.  I have my suspicions as I was asked about the handle in a phone call with a forum member one time.  But that was then...

I think it was this guy who outed you:

lousubcap said:
    Previous life U.S. Navy-submarine force.  Served as captain of USS Louisville (SSN 724) submarine among others-young man's game and I'm well beyond that:)

• lousubcap
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the recall- as I truly made a mistake right there.  Musta been a brown water induced evening.  Edit:  That was March of 2012-no wonder I needed the search function to call myself out  ;) 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Tried it last night and love it.  Extremely light but not brittle, zero smoke (may be I didn't see any because it was dark) and virtually no sparking even with point-blank blast of Looftlighter.  I'm cheap so not sure I'd pay full price at $25 but definitely worth the $4.99 monopoly money I paid.

Lighting with Looftlighter: click here for video.

Nice red glow...
    (btw, this is canuck Thanksgiving appetizer  - Simon and Garfunkel double-skewer turkey spiedini, very neutral no smoke taste)

canuckland
  • Mikee
    Options
    I got 5 more boxes yesterday. Paid under $8 per box. My first purchase I had 2 boxes in my cart but put one back. I just wasn't sure it was going to live up to what was written on the box. The box felt half empty as well. I put one box back. One box was enough for me to come to a conclusion. The box was actually full. I now have 4 cooks with it which is why I bought more of it. It does not compare with other lump.