Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

no bean chili

Does anyone have a good no bean chili recipe with cubed beef and gourd sausage for the egg?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    sltruxell said:
    Does anyone have a good no bean chili recipe with cubed beef and gourd sausage for the egg?
    There no such thing as a "good no bean chilli". It's the beans that make it good. Everything else is secondary. @Mickey would die if he knew someone was making chilli without beans ;)
    Just messing with you above my friend. Use this as your guide. You can substitute and omit ingrediants at your discretion. However, for the record, the following recipe is near perfect as is. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163322/award-winning-smoked-brisket-chili-from-salado-eggfest-after-party-2014#latest

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Oh you mean soup :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    There is never beans in chili. If it has beans, then you are making a pot of beans.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    SGH said:
    sltruxell said:
    There no such thing as a "good no bean chilli". It's the beans that make it good. Everything else is secondary. @Mickey would die if he knew someone was making chilli without beans ;)
    Just messing with you above my friend. Use this as your guide. You can substitute and omit ingrediants at your discretion. However, for the record, the following recipe is near perfect as is. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163322/award-winning-smoked-brisket-chili-from-salado-eggfest-after-party-2014#latest

FIRST: Kelly has/makes the VERY BEST chili with beans in the world!  With that statement it makes SGH almost correct in his words. One of these days I am going to drop in on him seeing he would not come to Salado. 
    BUT THE REAL TRUTH IS: A TEXAS BOWL OF RED DOES NOT HAVE BEANS. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Mickey said:
    SGH said:
    sltruxell said:

FIRST: Kelly has/makes the VERY BEST chili with beans in the world!  With that statement it makes SGH almost correct in his words. One of these days I am going to drop in on him seeing he would not come to Salado. 

Brother @Mickey you feel free to pull in here anytime that you like my friend. You will always be met with an open door and a full table.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    SGH said:
    Mickey said:
    SGH said:
    sltruxell said:

Brother @Mickey you feel free to pull in here anytime that you like my friend. You will always be met with an open door and a full table.  
    I would expect nothing less my friend. You are always welcome to Salado my friend. No fest needed....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I thought no bean chili was spaghetti sauce?  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SGH
    WeberWho said:
    I thought no bean chili was spaghetti sauce?  ;)
    We call it a turd colorant. All bean less chilli is good for is making some pretty turds. Great for Halloween.  

Status- Standing by.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    He's looking for a meat stew recipe. Everyone knows in order to be classsified a chili, there must be beans present. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Some of you must eat some really bad chili if it requires beans for flavor.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    MANIAC CHILI

its too hot for texans =) this is my yankee version of chili =)

dry peppers
    5 habaneros
    3 passilla 3 california
    3 ancho
    3 gaujillo
    3 de arbol
    remove stems.  simmer in beer 1 hour
    peppers seeds ribs and all into food processor then added to seared 3.5 pounds beef cubes

saute
    5 jalepinos
    3 seranos
    2 hungarians
    1 red bell
    1 onion
    5 cloves garlic

herbs and such
    2 tbls oregano
    3 tbls cumin
    1 tbls onion powder
    2 tbls paprika
    1 tbls salt
    2 tbls masa harina

into the mix with 2 quarts beef stock for three hours did i break any rules no darn beans, no darn tomatoes

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • My brisket is done. Cooking the chili tomorrow. Thanks for all the input. The brisket is perfect. I used the cowlick recipe.
  • sltruxell
    sltruxell Posts: 12
    edited October 2016
  • Finished product 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Wow, that looks great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Check out this link. NO beans. That site is for the break off group from CASI International Championship Chili Cook-Off, out of Terlingua, TX. They used to have a link to past winners recipes, doesn't seem so now. There are a few here.
    A bowl of red has beef, peppers, garlic, onion, oregano and cumin. Maybe some other stuff, pork even, but NO beans.