Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time For A New Gasket

My Large BGE is about 4 years old, and I've been going commando for awhile.  Actually it's worse than that - I have about a quarter of a gasket left on, bits and pieces really.  So it's hard to hold low temps.

I gather the Rutland gaskets are the best?  I think I found them on Amazon.  Not sure what kind of glue to use.  Any thoughts or comments?
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• My Large BGE is about 4 years old, and I've been going commando for awhile.  Actually it's worse than that - I have about a quarter of a gasket left on, bits and pieces really.  So it's hard to hold low temps.

I gather the Rutland gaskets are the best?  I think I found them on Amazon.  Not sure what kind of glue to use.  Any thoughts or comments?
    I dunno if they are best but I like mine. I got both of mine from Ron. I still have one in the bag as my new style factory gasket on unit #2 has actually held up for 3 years. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Send a private message to RRP - you can get it from him (maybe cheaper???)

You apply the gasket using an automotive product called Permatex Ultra Copper. You can get it from any automotive store.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2016
    >

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
     Not sure what kind of glue to use.  Any thoughts or comments?
    Use this. It will outlast the Rutland it's self. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Contact @ RRP!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • SGH
    MeTed said:
    Contact @ RRP!
    If you do, don't make any money jokes. Trust me on this one ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited September 2016
    SGH said:
    not sure about that as the Rutland gasket will withstand 2,200º and the Permatex only 700º or did you mean Rutland brand adhesive vs. Permatex?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP said:
    SGH said:
    not sure about that as the Rutland will withstand 2,200º and the Permatex only 700º.
    It also looks a little expensive.  Ron - I was thinking about the kind of glue that holds dentures in, but I don't know if that would cut it.  Have you ever tried that?
  • SGH
    edited September 2016
    RRP said:
    SGH said:
    not sure about that as the Rutland will withstand 2,200º and the Permatex only 700º.
    While that is true, the Permatex is protected by the Rutland. As such, the Rutland will have to fail before the Permatex is exposed. The Rutland takes the abuse from the dome as well as the brunt of the heat. All the while the Permatex is protected. 

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @JohnInCarolina - let's see where you land with this one.  Well played.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH said:
    MeTed said:
    Contact @ RRP!
    I've heard about that!!!
  • SGH
    RRP said:
    SGH said:
    It also looks a little expensive.  Ron - I was thinking about the kind of glue that holds dentures in, but I don't know if that would cut it.  Have you ever tried that?
    It's less than 5 bucks a tube. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited September 2016
    Heck you can catch it on sale at W-mart for 99 cents a tube. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    SGH said:
    MeTed said:
    Contact @ RRP!
    I've heard about that!!!
    He cussed me out. Kind of hurt my feelings. Y'all know how sensitive I am ;)

Status- Standing by.

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Wow. A suggestion that denture glue would hold it. And of course "no offence to Ron". This site rules....
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700

Is today Friday?

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SGH said:
    Heck you can catch it on sale at W-mart for 99 cents a tube. 
    Thanks Scottie!  I was thinking it looked more like it might be the cost of an over-priced wire basket or something.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    John, when my felt gasket needed replacing I used the Copper Gasket stuff, but used the glue itself as the gasket:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144387/permatex-copper-gasket-install-w-pics#latest

Was quite simple to do, and although I haven't cooked a pizza since (I burned myself out on pizza, badly) the gasket material has held up perfectly (I have done one clean burn, no problems).  
    A Rutland would look neater, no doubt, but for $3 I'm quite happy with what I did.   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• @Botch - dude, that is brilliant.  If all I need is a bottle of glue and don't need any of that Rutland stuff, well... giddyup!!!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Just lay a bead of superglue around the ridge of the base then shut the lid. Let it cure for an hour and you'll never have to worry about replacing a gasket again.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    HeavyG said:
    Just lay a bead of superglue around the ridge of the base then shut the lid. Let it cure for an hour and you'll never have to worry about replacing a gasket again.
    You heard it here first: No worries. Lifetime gasket. Be all end all. 
  • HeavyG said:
    Lol.  Yeah - that'll do it alright.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Amazon has the gaskets... One click buy
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    John you're like a expert angler and it didn't take long for the bait to be sniffed out. :lol:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    henapple said:
    Amazon has the gaskets... One click buy
    But has Amazon sold 22,000,000 gaskets across 73 states and even 5 foreign countries?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

• But has Amazon sold 22,000,000 gaskets across 73 states and even 5 foreign countries?
    73 states??? WTH are you talking about. Our president said there are 57 states.
  • Correction, I don't know how many states he believes there are, but he claimed he had visited 57 of them.
  • Sardonicus
    edited September 2016

If Sean Hannity and Steve Doocy had a kid together . . .
     ;) 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Just stating a fact Sardo. Pardon my microaggression.
  • Sardonicus
    edited September 2016

Bless your heart.