Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange??

Did a pork loin last night.  Shut her down like always - closed lower vent and put top on chimney.  Forgot about it.  Walked by it this afternoon (20 hours later) and noticed that the thermometer was reading 250 - opened it up and the fire's still going.  Has never happened before - fire always goes out and temp back to zero.  I don't have a gasket on the BGE but I haven't had one in a long time.  Any thoughts as to why it didn't shut down??

Comments

• Assuming your bottom vent is not bent, the only thing I can imagine is that your hinge is out of line and you have a gap between your dome and base.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Must have an air leak somewhere.  When I did not have a gasket it would burn off most of the lump, now with a gasket I can get a few cooks out of a load.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    edited September 2016
    ^^^ Has to be an air leak somewhere. Fire cannot survive without oxygen. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited September 2016
    can't have an on going fire let alone hot embers at any 250º for 20 hours without a sizable air leak, plus that heat had to exiting as well. Plus it wouldn't hurt to calibrate your dome thermometer for kicks and giggles.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • yljkt said:
    Air leak. 
    yep.  can't be anything else

a famous egger here has a gasketless BGE that I used for a week.  although the fire went out, i was surprised to see it took much longer than mine, and i used much more lump.

i ultimately started putting in only the amount of lump i'd need for that cook, rather than just filling it up per usual
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    My gasket is basically gone on my XL and haven't had any trouble holding a temp or extinguishing the fire.  I should replace it soon though.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    edited September 2016
    I guess I'll replace the gasket - obviously you guys are right - has to be getting air somehow - just thought it was strange that it has never happened before and there really hasn't been a change in anything (and, I keep my thermometer calibrated so that's not the issue) have to start looking for answers this weekend - thanks (just wish I had known it was going to hold 250 all night and all day - I could have stuck something on it - pork butt maybe  :D)
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Check for debris in the area that used to have the gasket.  It could be causing you to have a gap when you think it is closed.  (dont forget something could stick to the upper).
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited September 2016
    I'm starting to get this! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • reh111
    I'm not sure I understand - could you explain it in extensive and painful detail?
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016

Diagram is missing the fourth side of the triangle. Rockwood
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Look around the inside of the egg for a small and possible hidden compressed oxygen gas tank.  It could be cracked open and supplied sufficient oxygen to the fire to keep it going regardless of the vents and lid being closed.  This seems to be the most likely reason.
    Could be a dreaded crack in the base underneath out of sight as well.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • reh111
    RRP said:
    Could be a dreaded crack in the base underneath out of sight as well.
    Don't tell me that - I'll never find it which means that I'll have to buy a bigger BGE (OTOH, that's the excuse I can use with SWMBO  :)
  • reh111

Look around the inside of the egg for a small and possible hidden compressed oxygen gas tank.  It could be cracked open and supplied sufficient oxygen to the fire to keep it going regardless of the vents and lid being closed.  This seems to be the most likely reason.
    ? - I don't have a compressed oxygen gas tank - WTF are you talking about?
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Thats how I found my crack in the base. Had to have it replaced. Sorry.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    reh111 said:

? - I don't have a compressed oxygen gas tank - WTF are you talking about?
    Elves or rogue neighborhood kids could have planted it there.
    Could be the hot air from Hillary & Donald.....
    IL 
  • kl8ton

Diagram is missing the fourth side of the triangle. Rockwood

Dang it @Darby_Crenshaw, I can't seem to get the hang of this four sided triangle! 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    This post just needs repeated. For nothing else except I just spit beer laughing. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • kl8ton

My BGE O2 tank stopped working. I replaced it with a KAB smokeware tank from the ceramic grill store. Haven't looked back. 
    Grand Rapids MI