Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honor Fight QC #37, In Color

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited September 2016 in EggHead Forum
Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Jamey Johnson...
https://youtu.be/EYGwxf1gCC4

Stopped by my Aunt's last night to chat.  Uncle Ray passed last month from lung cancer(Pall Malls finally caught up to him), she requested at the visitation I take a pic of him to put at The Wall.  Done.  A hell of a guy man, taught me so much through the years, and is the reason I love to camp.  Good memories riding the bench in his 90s GMC before sunrise listening to old school country on our way out to a farm pond in Illinois City.  We'd nail bluegill, bass, crappie, and then fry them on shore.  His fish fry parties were legendary, using Old Mil for a wet batter. His yellow floating Rapalas that were one of his go-tos still reside in the top of my box.  Bought my camper before a proper tow vehicle, and he'd call me telling me to be ready friday night and he was pulling me out.  I'd get out money, he'd never take it, just told me to smoke him a ham.  Taught me how to hookup, backing, to cross the chains.  Broke my furnace on the camper, he fixed it.  He'd roll up with a fifth of chilled fireball at the campfire and hang with the big boys, passing it around.  Then end up puking spinach pizza all over the floor of his camper 3 hours later. My poor Aunt Arlene Lol
Accidentally bought him a case of NA Old Mil after walking in the woods all day mushroom hunting at Loud Thunder.  Was so exhausted going into the walk-in I didn't notice.  Caught hell from him about that for years!

Tons of good stuff like this through the years.

His fudge at Christmas was also legendary.  Loved the holidays and decorating his house.  We were stuffed in the back of a standing room only Christmas service at church, and had a Homer Simpson bottle opener that went, "mmmmmm beer, (sound of beer pouring) woohoo!".  He fired it off several times in his pocket, people were looking around.  We were trying so hard to hold it in.  I could go on and on guys.  He asked me to be his Guardian.  Unfortunately, it wasn't in the plans.

There will be an extra soul on board tomorrow.

Stopped by my dad's several nights ago with the boy, my dad had his photo albums out.  Gramps went through his Vietnam pics with him.  Was a special moment listening, and seeing them together.  My mom told us not to bring it up as kids.  We didn't.  Some emotions and memories are resurfacing with the Honor Flight.  My Aunt kept all of his letters he sent her with the red, white, and blue envelopes from '66, 67'.  He ended each one with SWAK.  Asked her what that meant.  Sealed with a kiss.  They are doing a surprise mail call on the return flight, he will get them, letters from us kids, grandkids, family, school kids, etc.  Just awesome.  My dad has had a handlebar since Vietnam, never has been without it since.  Even won a mustache competition recently.  It is his identity.  And is hangin on barely with chemo.  Wish I had a quarter every time I heard, "Your dad is the one with the handle bar."  The birth of Handle Bar Nick...

These guys could show Mallmann a thing or two.  My dad's Master Sgt said only Nick could cook his steak. 

Tonight was the Honor Flight Dinner, put on by Hy Vee Foods out of DSM.  They have sponsored over 10 of the 37.  This is the first Vietnam Flight.  Each flight is $88,000.  16 of the Guardians are Hy Vee employees.  They had the front blocked off for Vet parking.  

Davenport Fire and Police, local ROTC, band, choirs.  Such a cool welcome.  Here are my dad(Army), his good buddy Forest(Marines) and wife, and my two Marines/Smoke Eaters, and wife.

Supper was great.  Fall apart beef, good taters and bushes.  2 Snapple sponsors were at our table.  My dad loves Bret's Troppa Rocka.

One of the guys had someone bring a six pack in for my dad, and the rest of us at the table.  

Desert was just as good.

Really touching to hear the choir sing Battle Hymn Of The Republic, and America The Beautiful.

And lastly, branch anthems in a medley, asking each to stand for theirs.  Here are my guys standing for the Marines.

So deeply honored, and pivileged, to be with all of these men.  There will be a huge welcoming party at 2200 when they return at the airport.  Knowing this community, and it being all over the local news, it should be over 1000 strong easily.  

I have someone on standby to wire bond $.  Wish us luck.

The Good Lord has done some pretty special things, using my hands, as His.  This is in the top tier folks.  This will be one of those "take it all in" kind of days, not just a moment.  Like birth of my son, saving lives, 100 Great Iowa Nurses kind of day..TOP tier.  

The whole reason behind posting this emotional journey with you all, is that maybe one of you out there, will do the same for these men, at one of the twenty something odd hubs in the US.  THE BEST $400 I have ever spent.

Sorry to ramble guys, gearing up, and gotta hit the lights for now.

0400 will be soon.  Hope to post some pics as I am able.  Goodnight.
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments