Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How would you prepare this?

Options
This is what's for dinner Friday Night!!!  How would you prepare it?

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sear it to 130 and enjoy!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    With a pinch of salt. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• tikigriller
    Options
    So this means, egg at like 600 right?

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Two schools of thought-spiral or unrolled.  Here's link to a thread about the cook:  Your call as to the cook-just nail your finish temp however you get there.

Ribeye Cap Steak  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    So this means, egg at like 600 right?
    That'll work just fine
  • bigbadben
    Options
    Blade tenderized. I would SV it to 135 for 2 hrs. Sear. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would do a hot tub at 110 for an hour this will get your starting internal temp around 90-100 then a good seat a couple minutes a side will get you to 125-130 and your done. I would not worry about the blade tenderizing I grind their chick roasts into burgers all the time and eat them pink with no issues. Enjoy the steaks they are really good.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    You should not eat that, it could be deadly. I will assume all risk and dispose it--no charge
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    why would someone take a blade tenderizer to a prime ribeye cap?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Lit said:
    I would do a hot tub at 110 for an hour this will get your starting internal temp around 90-100 then a good seat a couple minutes a side will get you to 125-130 and your done. I would not worry about the blade tenderizing I grind their chick roasts into burgers all the time and eat them pink with no issues. Enjoy the steaks they are really good.
    I have no idea what any of this means. Won't the chlorine from the hot tub ruin the flavor?  

Seriously, what is a hot tub?  Maybe I should have also mentioned I am very new at this so I also need easy. 

Livermore, California
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    The trendy way to grill now is to sous vide meat in a water bath before cooking. 

I dont care about that so i would SPOG the meat get the grill hot as hell and throw it on til medium rare. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My vote would be for a reverse sear - those are thick steaks...olive oil, salt pepper and a pinch of cayenne 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Lit said:
    I have no idea what any of this means. Won't the chlorine from the hot tub ruin the flavor?  

Seriously, what is a hot tub?  Maybe I should have also mentioned I am very new at this so I also need easy. 
    Put hot tap water in bowl, put steak in bag, drop bag into hot water, add hot water as needed..... hot tub
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Since you say you're new to this:

up above we are alluding to the safety of cooking blade tenderized meat. Blades push any surface bacteria into the middle of the meat. Most people don't like steak cooked to 160 degrees like the label says. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    clue is in the name: steak!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Lit said:

This comment got a good chuckle out of me.  Certainly not at you tiki.  The lingo, jargon and acronyms on this site can surely make it look like pig latin.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Hans61
    Options
    @tikigriller "hot tube" means meat in a vac seal bag or ziplock with air squeezed out, then in hot water. google sous vide. It cooks the steak evenly and doesn't over cook as long as your water temp is right. You sear the steak briefly at the end for the crust. @wardster the jargon can be like pig latin when new :-) 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    I did that exact piece from Costco...turned out great:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1189846/sunday-ribeye-cap-for-wifes-birthday/p1
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Hot tub is in between sous vide and pulling it out of the fridge and cooking it. Sous vide you would bring it up to temp then just sear for color it's already safe to eat. I'm sure you have heard people talk about leaving steaks out on the counter to get to room temp but that really doesn't work if anything it's bad because the outside surface rises in temp and the inside stays cold which is opposite of what you want to do. Using the hot tub method will get the whole steak to about the same temp all the way through but depending on the temp of your water it's only going to rise to around 100 or so internal temp so it still needs time on the grill to get that grilled and smoked flavor. You will not need to cook the steaks long just a couple minutes per side to get them to 125-130 and maybe less depending on thickness. Here is a pic of a tri tip I used a vacuum sealer but put them in a gallon bag and keep a corner clean and suck the air out and seal it. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i would do what lit said with a cap steak and shoot for 125 with that cut.  is costco now tenderizing all their steaks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    edited September 2016
    Options

Example:

I would SV in the hot tub for a couple hours.  Set up the BGEL for ID using a Woo from the CGS and PS legs down.  Ensure the RW is running at proper temp and there is no off smoke.  Then do a RS until your TP reads a couple degrees below desired temp then remove the woo and sear up.

Outsiders would think left the reservation.

Ha ha

Sorry to hijack.  The link mentioned above should steer you in the right direction.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just for the heck of it I think I would unroll one and leave 2 rolled.  Reverse sear them all, but expect the unrolled will take less time so keep an eye on it. Then see which I prefer.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    @tikigriller "hot tube" means meat in a vac seal bag or ziplock with air squeezed out, then in hot water. google sous vide. It cooks the steak evenly and doesn't over cook as long as your water temp is right. You sear the steak briefly at the end for the crust. @wardster the jargon can be like pig latin when new :-) 
    Hot tube is something different.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would start off by taking any cholesterol medicine you have prescribed to you...  =)
    Simple sous vide, I just did it for the first time last week.  Put each steak in a ziplock bag, close each bag 95%, submerge until you get to the open part, then seal it before the water gets inside. The water will "squeeze" the air out.

I used a cooler, some use a $300 appliance that keeps the temperature of the water precisely at setpoint.

It works pretty damn good in a regular beer cooler. Just season and sear it after an hour on both sides, and you're done.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Hans61
    Options
    Thanks @Lit for explaing the difference between hot tub v. SV 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Thanks all. I think I am going to push myself over the edge with all three of them and unroll one, hot tube the other one, and just cook the third one regular. One of the three has got to turn out tastey. LOL. 

Livermore, California