Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well I figured folks might talk to me if I posted a food pic. Simple invertabird

Options

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Heck yeah I'd think that will get them talking. Very tasty looking plate there. What all is inside that chicken and how do you get it to stand up like that? 
    Snellville, GA

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's a Staub chicken stand. The spire(?) is quite thin. I do them on a BGE chicken stand too but sometimes you have to cut out a bit of the backbone. Oh and the bird just had onion, celery, carrot, garlic cloves, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Holepuncher
    Options
    I thought I was watching the food network, when I saw the pictures.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Haven't you heard of spatchcock??? =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    They seem to be proud of that pan at $165. Is there some benefit to using it other than it looks awesome and it holds a chicken? 
    Snellville, GA

• Little Steven
    Options
    They seem to be proud of that pan at $165. Is there some benefit to using it other than it looks awesome and it holds a chicken? 

The pan was a gift. If you have a look at the setup it's grid on fire ring, platesetter on grid, spacers on platesetter and chicken stand with chicken legs up on the stand. The dark meat of the chicken is in the higher/hotter part of the egg whilst the breast (which is intentionally oriented away from the back of the egg which is the hotter part) is closer to the platesetter which is less hot. The idea is the dark meat cooks faster so the breast doesn't overcook. Additionally the fattier part (the rear end) renders it's fat under the skin and on to the breast. I added a picture of the cutting board to show how juicy the birdscome out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You don't cook.  Was this picture taken at @Darby_Crenshaw's?  Was there Curry? ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Got to agree with Steven on this one.  If I use a stand I invert the bird.  This is from his suggestion in the past.   It works guys!

BTW - nice meal @little Steven 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    This is a pretty desperate way to try to attract friends.  Pathetic.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Very ingenious setup. I did notice the chicken was very juicy in the photo. I may have to give this method a shot in a cheaper pan. Thanks for the info and great cook. Share more often! 
    Snellville, GA

• Little Steven
    Options
    ;)bgebrent said:
    You don't cook.  Was this picture taken at @Darby_Crenshaw's?  Was there Curry? ;)
    Still cant work the emojis for some reason. I had a magnificent veg thali for lunch and curries are a lot of work for a school night. Darby doesn't live here anymore. We split up some months ago.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Very ingenious setup. I did notice the chicken was very juicy in the photo. I may have to give this method a shot in a cheaper pan. Thanks for the info and great cook. Share more often! 
    Just a chicken stand of any kind will work. You just need to clip out a bit of the neck end of the backbone to allow it to fit. Set it in any kind of pan to collect the drippings. Just be sure to space the collector pan off the platesetter/heat barrier so the drippings don't burn.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    From the first photo I thought it was roadkill. This is going to be better than tree rats and expensive wine. Well much to my dismay as I scrolled down it appeared I was wrong. In fact someone????, cooked a chicken. I agree, I think Stike was involved and I am still looking for pictures of expensive wine in a red solo cup with ice cubes. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking grub ole buddy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    From the first photo I thought it was roadkill. This is going to be better than tree rats and expensive wine. Well much to my dismay as I scrolled down it appeared I was wrong. In fact someone????, cooked a chicken. I agree, I think Stike was involved and I am still looking for pictures of expensive wine in a red solo cup with ice cubes. 
    Who is this stike person you keep referring to?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Little Steven said:  
    If you have a look at the setup it's grid on fire ring, platesetter on grid, spacers on platesetter and chicken stand with chicken legs up on the stand. The dark meat of the chicken is in the higher/hotter part of the egg whilst the breast (which is intentionally oriented away from the back of the egg which is the hotter part) is closer to the platesetter which is less hot. The idea is the dark meat cooks faster so the breast doesn't overcook. Additionally the fattier part (the rear end) renders it's fat under the skin and on to the breast. 
    This makes perfect sense.
    Hmmm... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options
    Heck yeah I'd think that will get them talking. Very tasty looking plate there. What all is inside that chicken and how do you get it to stand up like that? 
    The one I use is no Staub but then it is only $17 - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VKYAUY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Nice cook! So I'm getting the feeling that @Little Steven and @Darby_Crenshaw are basically living versions of Magneto and Professor X respectively... is this a fair assessment? 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fine example of cooking vertebrates.  I expect no less from you.

Options
    Hell yeh.  I would take that leftover leg in that first picture of it was offered.  

Honestly, I did not know you knew how to cook something.  I think this is the first post of yours that had food in it.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I like the random order of the photos. Like one of those Stanford Binet IQ tests they give the highly intelligent kids in school, where one of the 'questions' is a series of cards with a picture of a woman making cookies or something, only they randomize the order of the pics and you are supposed to 1.) figure out that they want them in order and then you 2.) rearrange them to make the story timeline while 3.) being timed by the proctor 

What am i saying. You probably have no idea what test i am referring to

Anyway. excellent cook. A straighforward chicken is one of our favorites. Nice looking cook

(Note to the concerned. Steven is a friend of mine. Despite my burning hatred for Canadians in general, i actually like steven)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking chicken big Steve.  It is nice to see the technique in action.  I think a stand like this would work well.  It looks skinny enough to fit in the neck hole. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ThrillSeeker
    Options
    Great looking chicken big Steve.  It is nice to see the technique in action.  I think a stand like this would work well.  It looks skinny enough to fit in the neck hole. 

Ironic that you posted that....I ordered one the other day and plan on trying it this weekend.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    how do you live with the shame?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Nice cook! So I'm getting the feeling that @Little Steven and @Darby_Crenshaw are basically living versions of Magneto and Professor X respectively... is this a fair assessment? 
    @Hans61, that will just feed their egos. It's probably more accurate to think of them as the old guys on The Muppets show. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options

It looks skinny enough to fit in the neck hole. 
    you have just described steven to a 'T'.  have you met him?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Who is this stike person you keep referring to?
    I have seen this Stike person and he is somewhat human looking but much shorter than you Little Steven!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Good job LS, nice to see folks communicating with you! You ever going to come back to the Georgia Mountain Eggfest?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• mikeinccfl
    Options
    Damn! The pics made me crave roast chicken. Most excellent plate!
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL