Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Iphone 7

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
Is it just me or does this recent installment seem more like the typical odd year "s" upgrade...I wonder if Apple v. Android will draw the same passion as the political threads? 
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• Hans61
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Botch said:
    Yeah, I've given up on Apple.  You can't even firebomb a Jeep with one like you can with a Samsung.  
    :tongue:
    Yeah, I've heard some of the concerns regarding their batteries inflaming, maybe it'd be a trustworthy lump starter? lol
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I have an iPhone 6 but I am planning to wait till next fall for the real ten year iPhone upgrade. I once had a Galaxy phone, no more Samstunk's for me.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Royal Oak, starter cubes
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Botch said:
    You can't even firebomb a Jeep with one like you can with a Samsung.  

That's new - it's called the "Secretary of State feature".  They just realized some people need to destroy several devices each year.

Phoenix 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Might have some language in it, but otherwise pretty safe to watch:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNPKvm17n9U
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    The iPhone 7 is very underwhelming; if many of the rumors are true the iPhone 8 should be a better offering, but Tim Cook does not inspire confidence. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I think a lot of people have set expectations that are not reasonable.  When Apple does not meet these, they become "underwhelmed" etc.  The iPhone7 is an incremental improvement to the previous version (water resistant, stereo speaker, improved camera, and better battery life). No earth shattering leaps, but an improvement.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited September 2016
    Options
    And they got rid of that worthless head phone jack!! lol... :o
    Get out your wallet one one time.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • chrisc133
    Options
    nothing like Apple generating a ton of cash by making everyone buy another adapter to use wired headphones...

I'm due to upgrade my 6...but I hate they removed the headphone jack.  It gets a lot of use when I travel.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Eligible for upgrade, but I'll wait  for the Iphone 8 next year.. I could upgrade now with the "next every year" option (AT&T), which let's you upgrade in 12 months. The cost is $375 for 12 months. That's a lot of  cash for "incremental" improvement &12 months of use.. but reality is they are conditioning everyone to upgrade every 1 to 2 years, so unless you get a good deal on a trade-in, your going to average ~$375 per year.. or you can keep your phone for longer than 2 years but not many folks are doing that.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    my 6 works just fine, when it starts to fail, I'll look at what to replace it with but it's amost new/pristine still after 2 years in a pelican case. In terms of functionality, storage, performance, I have not begun to be limited by it which is different than in past years where ios upgrades slowed me down considerably.
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    I also have the 6, which is working just fine, but one incentive for upgrading is the trade-in program - up to $225 for iPhone 6; $250 for the plus. Only $75/$125 for the 5/5s, so the longer you wait, the less credit given for your old phone.

@chrisc133 - the adaptor is included with the phone to use older wired headphones.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Hans61
    Options
    Hotch said:
    And they got rid of that worthless head phone jack!! lol... :o
    Get out your wallet one one time.
    I will buy better headphones since apples aren't free!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Hard to improve on a level anymore that will just make everyone feel they need to. Reality is, software enhancements don't do it for most. If it doesn't look different and feel different, the money these phones cost now make it very challenging to justify the coin needed for the newest one. When they make one that can be dropped without needing a case, I will upgrade again, otherwise, we all get most of the upgrades with iOS 10 anyways and 99% of the world will never be able to notice a difference in photo quality or speed....and I can already attached Bluetooth headphones to this phone as well. 

Hard re to do anything to smartphones anymore. They are all so advanced...what more can one want or need?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    The IPhone really needs memory card capabilities!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    I traded in 3 iPhone 6's thru att. If your iPhone 6 is paid off and in working condition they will give you $650 worth of bill credits towards the 7. That means you get the 7 with 32gb of memory for free.  If you want to go to a 7 plus or want more memory you just pay the difference spread out over the credits. The only downside is that it somewhat locks you in for 2 years. You receive the credits for the monthly payment spread over 24 months. If you decide you want to pay the phones off early or leave your carrier the credits stop and you just have to pay off the rest of the phone. I believe that some of the other providers have a similar offer. 
  • Legume
    Options
    that sounds like a new program?  I'm already married to ATT through work, so the 24 month handcuffs doesn't change anything for me.  I may rethink if it pays for most or all of a new phone.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I can't believe there's no wireless charging. 
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    nothing like Apple generating a ton of cash by making everyone buy another adapter to use wired headphones...

I'm due to upgrade my 6...but I hate they removed the headphone jack.  It gets a lot of use when I travel.
    iPhone 7 comes with an adapter for free, as well as headphones that connect to the lightning port . If you think the headphones jack removal was a cash grab, you don't know Apple
  • bigbadben
    Options
    Well, I am in the minority. I drunk the coolaid, I preordered my 7plus and signed up for the apple upgrade program that gives me access to the new phone next year. 
  • Legume
    Options
    chrisc133 said:

iPhone 7 comes with an adapter for free, as well as headphones that connect to the lightning port . If you think the headphones jack removal was a cash grab, you don't know Apple
    The cash grab is with memory - $100 for $4 worth of additional memory.  If they did add memory card support, it would probably be some special apple encrypted card that you had to buy from them.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I think a lot of people have set expectations that are not reasonable.  When Apple does not meet these, they become "underwhelmed" etc.  The iPhone7 is an incremental improvement to the previous version (water resistant, stereo speaker, improved camera, and better battery life). No earth shattering leaps, but an improvement.
    This is the problem.  Apple is not doing anything earth shattering anymore.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That died when Steve Jobs did.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• tikigriller
    Options
    Only thing that died when Steve did, was innovation of a NEW product. We all sit and wait for the iPhone, but in reality, Apple really needs something new all together. Apple has not come out with anything that changes the world anymore. iPhones are advancing at the same rate as all the phones. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Peeps lookin for a paradigm shift. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Induction charging and micro SD cards would be a great option.  The only downfall to having the ability to add external (microSD cards) is that makes another hole in the shell for water and dust penetration. 

I do believe that both are coming down the pipe from Apple.  Haven't been that much of a fan of Bluetooth headphones - that's just something else to charge / plug into the wall. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I just hope that they don't delete Bluetooth in favor of a proprietary wireless method. Then I won't have anyway of syncing my phone for tunes or calls.
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    While I think the sd card slot would have been nice on older models I think it is unnecessary in the 7s. With the models being 32/128/256 gb people should be able to find enough storage for what they want to do with their phone. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    All yall wanting wireless charging, headphone jacks, and microSD sounds like you're wanting a Samsung S device.....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site