Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Provoleta ala Parilla via a MiniMax

Options
I've been traveling to Miami a lot and am quite a fan of the many Argentinean places around here.  This is my take on my favorite appetizer.  
First buy a 3/4" to 1" think piece of provolone cheese from your favorite deli counter.  
Coat it w your favorite olive oil and add some oregano and back pepper.  
Grill for just 30-60 sec per side

Placed in a 5" square Lodge cast iron skillet and returned to the 300-350 degree MiniMax until melted through.  Maybe 10 mins tops.  Top w some roasted red pepper slices.  You can also add Carmelized onions, basil, etc. 
Serve w some sliced French banquette or other early crunchy bread.  
Enjoy!

=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like it!
    Options
    Looks great. That's make a killer appetizer. I used to have that same skillet. Lost it somewhere along the way, now that I see yours, I miss it. I used to make grilled cheese sandwiches on it all the time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

Damn.  That looks good enough to try!
    Thanks.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Looks great.  Will have to try that one.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • BBQBuddy
    Options
    Glad you're enjoying visiting Miami.  I'm a native.  What Argentinean restaurant here is your favorite??
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Ima_good_egg
    Options
    What a great idea!  
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    Glad you're enjoying visiting Miami.  I'm a native.  What Argentinean restaurant here is your favorite??
    I stay in downtown/Brickell so I'm partial to Novocento.  Go there every other week.   What area are you in?
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BBQBuddy
    Options
    Coral Gables.  Try this downtown restaurant, if you haven't already: http://ilgabbianomia.com/contact.html
    That provolone looks great!

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Wowee.  Fantastic!  And looks super simple to make and delicious. 

Have you found a "preferred" brand of cheese?  What about sharp? Extra sharp?  Imported make a positive/negative difference?  I am so going to do this....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • mikeinccfl
    Options
    Looks great and easy too! Great for a planned dish or in-the-moment diversion. Added to my list, thanks!
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Francis Mallmann has a Provoleta that I've always wanted to try, but haven't. I found it right before I had to start watching my sodium and sat fat intake. Anyway, here's his if you're interested...

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/provoleta-oregano-and-tomatoes

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Wowee.  Fantastic!  And looks super simple to make and delicious. 

Have you found a "preferred" brand of cheese?  What about sharp? Extra sharp?  Imported make a positive/negative difference?  I am so going to do this....
    Thanks, ski.   No, I haven't.  This was my first try at it and just went with the regular deli provolone from the Winn Dixie counter.  Good idea and I'll be makin this again soon, so I'll see if I can try a different one and report back. 
    Thanks again for your comments.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Will bring this to next party we go to!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just because I happened to remember it, if you're into cheese appetizers, here's another great looking one from Chris Bianco's Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix. Called Spiedini, it's fontina on a skewer, wrapped in prosciutto, heated in a wood fired oven. Served on arugula with a vinaigrette. Looks delicious!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HurricaneEddie1
    Options

BBQBuddy said:
    Coral Gables.  Try this downtown restaurant, if you haven't already: http://ilgabbianomia.com/contact.html

I enjoy Graziano's. They have a market and sell the provoleta ready to grill.
    Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • thetrim
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    I've been to Vero downtown but haven't tried this place.  Thanks for the recommendation.  BTW, Vero has several dishes the spend some time in the SV. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BBQBuddy
    Options
    Just because I happened to remember it, if you're into cheese appetizers, here's another great looking one from Chris Bianco's Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix. Called Spiedini, it's fontina on a skewer, wrapped in prosciutto, heated in a wood fired oven. Served on arugula with a vinaigrette. Looks delicious!!

That is a must try.
    I have made this one from Ina Garten...Baked Fontina.  It's outrageous http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/baked-fontina-recipe.html

• thetrim
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:

That is a must try.
    I have made this one from Ina Garten...Baked Fontina.  It's outrageous http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/baked-fontina-recipe.html
    Wow, those recipes sounds great!  Thanks for sharing!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    Made a small portion of a version of this, came out great, will do a larger portion next time.
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • thetrim
    Options
    Cm23 said:
    Made a small portion of a version of this, came out great, will do a larger portion next time.
    Nice job!    What size skillet did you use?  I used a square 5" for mine and it seems like a pretty small size but it goes a long way.   I'd be interested to see what size you're thinking of.   
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95