Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need make-ahead Italian recipe ideas

Options
This Saturday we've been invited to some friends' house for an "Italian-themed" potluck style dinner.  SWMBO, of course, is making some sort of Italian dessert because that's her thing, but I'd LOVE to make something in my LBGE.  

HOWEVER,

I will not be home all day Saturday until about :30 minutes before we head to our friends for dinner...  so no time to start a fire, stabilize it and cook something...
(I'm competing in a local homebrew competition! I mean, priorities, am I right?)

SO,

I was thinking I could make something Friday evening, that we could then we re-heat in time for the dinner Saturday.

Any ideas or guidance?  (Besides not consuming too much at the competition before the dinner at the friend's...)
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Guys have made some killer lasagne's on the forum.. That should reheat well. just check out the search feature at the top.. Good luck.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    @cookn biker is one of the great original cooks of the EggHead Forum, long before it became this forum, and her lasagna is famous at Eggfests.  Here is a post of hers with pictures (you may have to click to go to the first page), but no recipes, and here is a post of hers with pictures and recipe.  I've never made it because I'm lazy and it's a bunch of steps, but it makes my mouth water every time I've looked at it, and it's really famous.  She's an amazing cook!  If you like making lasagna, it might be worth a try.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    You could smoke some meatballs for spaghetti or meatball subs which I know is not all that Italian.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    calzone, stromboli, cioppino, brasciola/braciole. cookinbiker could set you up with something simple or crazy =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Get some frozen meatballs and add Ragu to the top. Put it all in a crock pot on high for 4 hours and you're G2G
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You could do a porchetta in advance and reheat it the day of. Pork bellies are great if you don't want to do a shoulder or little pig

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    You could do a porchetta in advance and reheat it the day of. Pork bellies are great if you don't want to do a shoulder or little pig
    Sorry I didn't read the part about the local Hebrew competition. No offence intended. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Little Steven I think that was "homebrew".  I like your sensitivity.  Much larger than your diminutive stature.
    Options
    Maybe he left out Kosher Homebrew!   Very republican, errrr considerate, of you to offer up such a sincere apology!   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Theophan said:
    @cookn biker is one of the great original cooks of the EggHead Forum, long before it became this forum, and her lasagna is famous at Eggfests.  Here is a post of hers with pictures (you may have to click to go to the first page), but no recipes, and here is a post of hers with pictures and recipe.  I've never made it because I'm lazy and it's a bunch of steps, but it makes my mouth water every time I've looked at it, and it's really famous.  She's an amazing cook!  If you like making lasagna, it might be worth a try.
    I've had her lasagna and it's easily the best I've ever had. (Word of warning, you will hate the lasagna you've been eating your whole life)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Lasagna - they won't know what hit 'em.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I miss Molly.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Marinated and grilled chicken Alfredo - 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Molly's lasagne uses a bechamel sauce, which most lasagne recipes don't. That's what makes it so special. Greek casseroles like pastitsio and moussaka include it and that's why those dishes are so delicious.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Chef Marc Vetri's egg yolk dough is awesome, super easy, my boy does it.  Grilled Chicken Alfredo, Lasagna, or Ravioli would work well ahead of time.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Molly's lasagne uses a bechamel sauce, which most lasagne recipes don't. That's what makes it so special. Greek casseroles like pastitsio and moussaka include it and that's why those dishes are so delicious.
    I think the scratch noodles, scratch ragu egged for hours, real stamped parm, bring more to the table than the bechamel.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• BigGreenHog
    Options
    Go practical and do a simple carbonara.  Pepper is used liberally .  Or go to the store buy a pork belly and a pork tenderloin.  Make Porchetta sandwiches.  You can make this on the egg and make it a day before.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options

I think the scratch noodles, scratch ragu egged for hours, real stamped parm, bring more to the table than the bechamel.
    I've made my own pasta, fantastic sauce, used stamped Parm, and it makes a great, and very familiar lasagne. But add that bechamel, and it takes it to a whole new level. Try it.

Judy in San Diego
  • Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options

I've made my own pasta, fantastic sauce, used stamped Parm, and it makes a great, and very familiar lasagne. But add that bechamel, and it takes it to a whole new level. Try it.

Thanks Judy.
    I have, a few times.  Their recipe doesn't hold back with the authentic parm.  Which I love.

Most are accustomed to the traditional for US thick lasagna noodle and terrible parm in a jar when it comes to Americanized lasagna.  And the mozz vs bechamel too.  Love the crispy corner pieces, and many thinner, delicate layers.

Not trying to argue, just stating what I noticed the first time that dish entered my piehole in the North Woods of MN.  It wasn't the bechamel driving that bus.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I did this last weekend & it turned out pretty well & can be made in advance; make a few flatbreads on the egg (aka plain pizza dough brushed with olive oil, herbs, salt & pepper) & cut them into appetizer size pieces then make a bunch of toppings, this one in particular wasn't necessarily Italian themed but you can make whatever adjustments you want, this display had caramelized onions, tomato basil, olives, roasted peppers, fried hot peppers, buffalo hummus & regular hummus, goat cheese, zucchini corn chili lime salsa & coleslaw, I guarantee you that people will be hovering all over this & asking you all sorts of questions:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Looks like a veg thali to me. Thought you wus italian

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Options
    is that what they call that.  Done it twice, big hit, especially the onions.  Need to make some of that lentil butter garlic glop next time, best stuff ever
    happy in the hut
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Try the dal makhani 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    @Little Steven I think that was "homebrew".  I like your sensitivity.  Much larger than your diminutive stature.

I just saw that. Don't you know that Hombrews don't eat meat from the beasts with a cloven hoof. Jeez!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    is that what they call that.  Done it twice, big hit, especially the onions.  Need to make some of that lentil butter garlic glop next time, best stuff ever

Here's one you should try without the butter and cream.

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-fry-how-to-make-prepare-dal-fry-recipe/

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Options
    Zippylip said:

Here's one you should try without the butter and cream.

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-fry-how-to-make-prepare-dal-fry-recipe/

see there's like 20 ingredients & 20 steps to that, any more than 3 or 4 of each & I'm out
    happy in the hut
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2016
    Options

It's only four or five steps if you mix the spices. If you just buy a pre-made masala it's easy. That saag paneer I made at Lake Nippissing was a boxed masala. Canned greens too.

I guess I should say that Rodney made. He did most of it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Options

I guess I should say that Rodney made. He did most of it

think you meant to say he ate most of it
    happy in the hut
  • Little Steven
    Options