Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9/11 where were you?

Options
13»

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    In my door room at college. My roommate woke me up to watch tv with him.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    10th grade.. 1st period class. Shut down class, TV's turned on, and we were told we may cancel classes.. I watched on TV in horror and anger.. I watched the second plane hit, and remember the numb feeling. I called my mother, as we had plenty of friends and army family who were in the Pentagon and after the crash there, was worried what else was going to happen.

I left school early that day, I remember driving down the front gate of Ft. Hood, Texas. Normally an open base, the largest installation in the free world. It looked like a war zone. Barriers, Humvees, Gun turrets at the gates and entraces on the side roads, covered with MP's and Texas Rangers... We passed through the gates, after a pretty insane check of our persons and truck and our military ID's, and the whole base was on edge. Mobilizing for a quick deployment if needed.

That hit home, and made me realize, this wasn't some stunt, but a change of life.

I will never forget it, if anything that you can't choose to be a victim by not living your life and loving everyone and every moment. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • SaltySam
    Options
    It was my first day of student teaching. The vice Principal came in shortly after class had started and called me out of the room.  She knew I'd be commissioned in less than a year, and asked if I needed to get back to my commanding officer.  As a college senior in ROTC, there wasn't much I could do. I do remember we weren't allowed to wear uniforms on campus the next two weeks, for our own safety.  That night, While driving to work at a sporting goods store, I passed a McDonalds and saw a teenager lowering the restaurant flag to half mast.  That's what put me over the top. I burst into tears at the thought of how my life and every American life had suddenly changed.  I spent about an hour at work and went home to my girlfriend.  We sat in the couch together in silence, watching the coverage on the news.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• cortguitarman
    Options
    I was a High School Principal on the West Coast at the time. I was in the shower when my wife walked in and said a plane had flown into the towers. As I was thinking what a tragic accident, she walked back in and said a second plane had hit the towers. Knew right then it was a purposeful attack. Threw on some clothes and drove to school. Met with campus security, called the PD for response strategy. Started setting up TV's for the classrooms, and providing counseling for students if needed.  later that morning I gave an address to the student body and faculty. Never ever forget that morning. 
    I was teaching 4th grade math in Stafford, VA. Jets were scrambled from Quantico. They flew so low they shook the building. Had a few kids with parents who worked at the pentagon. It was easily the worst day of my teaching career. 
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Our fathers were part of the generation that we won't see the likes of again.

Thanks @egger ave. You're right about that. All of my aunts and uncles on both sides of the family served in the various military branches at that time. America needed warriors and this great nation responded en mass. Great respect for all military no matter when or where they served. Glad to know your dad made it home too. Many did not.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I was driving to a client's site and had the radio on. I heard a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. Thought it was just a little plane. Did my work and returned back to my shop. Once there I was glued to the TV. While I did not feel personally threatened, there was still some uneasiness. The attacks on our soil was something completely foreign to me. The feeling was surreal.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This is another GREAT reason for me to remember 9/11/2016: The day my son-in-law met his son after a 7 month deployment on the USS Boxer.

New Albany, Ohio 

• HighSierraEgg
    Options
    I was due to get off work at the Firehouse that morning, we were held over instead. Watched in horror when the towers came down with all of the civilians and FDNY members inside.
    NEVER Forget and God Bless my 343 brothers from FDNY who selflessly gave their lives that day to try and save others.