Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9/11 where were you?

Options

Comments

• AppStateDDS
    Options
    Was in Boone NC taking post-grad classes.  Left a lab class early and headed to student union.  Saw all the kids watching tv for the news.  Eventually the Union opened up the ballrooms and showed the news on movie screens.  Lots of college kids were watching the news and crying. I ended back up at my apartment (that had no TV) but I turned on my radio and that evening listened to W speak to the nation.  Spoke to my family back home that evening too.  Just a crazy feeling and I was hundreds of miles away from the actual events.  Like most of us, not something I'll forget.  
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    I was taking my (now oldest) son to school. I heard about the first plane on the radio. Got home after dropping him off and saw the 2nd plane hit on TV. Sat on my couch and watched the footage until time to go pick him back up.

God bless this GREAT nation

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    At work managing a freight terminal. Wife calls and I turned on a small portable TV in my office and watched in horror as they were estimating early on that 20k to 30k lives could have been lost. One of my department heads came in my office, a woman about 10 years my senior said what's going on? I said Osama Bin Laden. She looked at me as if I just spoke in tounges or something. She had no idea who he was. After that day the whole world knew who he was. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I was getting ready for my Biology lab at Maryland. We had a lot of kids from the NY/NJ area and I'll never forget how frantic they were trying to find out if their parents were ok since cell service went down. Plus, the rumors flying that the Capitol was hit and the White House was blown up... Plus, the fact that it was an incredibly beautiful day, weather-wise.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I was in Gaithersburg MD (north of DC) on this day. I had flown into Regan National the evening before, a last minute decision as I was originally scheduled to fly that morning. I recall not being able to get a cell signal (to call home), and while walking outside, could hear and see many emergency vehicles headed into DC (Pentigon). Our meetings were cut short and I drove my rental car to Durham where I spent the night before returning home in the Atlanta area at the time. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    In the wilderness in Va. on a sales call and hubby called to tell me what was happening. Pulled over to the side of the road and cried. Said to myself how glad that my Daddy, WW11 hero, wasn't alive to see this. Marine, as are my brothers. His tours.

Sea and Foreign Pacific
    May 20 - July 7, 1942
    Guadacanal
    August 7 - December 15 1942
    Camp Glouchester
    December 26 - March 1, 1943 - 1944
    Iwo Jima
    February 19 - March 26, 1945
    Okinawa
    June 10 - 24, 1945

After his stint overseas, he was a DI for 5 years. He would have kicked their a$$ for sure if he was still with us. Really miss that man. Semper Fi. Never forget and never forgive, it ain't my nature. Thoughts with the ones lost and their families. God bless America.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Feenbo
    Options
    I was actually in surgery for my shoulder.  First thing I hear when I woke up was " we have been attacked..."
  • nolabrew
    Options
    I was in my first semester of college and a girl I had just broken up with called me and was crying. She said "what is happening to us?" and I thought she meant our relationship. When she told me about the attack I ran into the common area to see everyone gathered around watching the TV.  I started watching about 5 minutes before the second plane hit.  Spent the day in a bit of a daze. The crazy communist guy on campus made a sign that said God Bless the Islamic Freedom Fighters. He was put in to protective custody. 

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I was visiting with my mother when a friend called and told me about the first tower attack.  I quickly turned the TV and was trying to comprehend what had happened when the second tower was hit.  Those moments will be etched in my memory forever.. along with those when I heard of JFK's assassination.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    My bad...  forgot to mention the NASA Space Shuttle disasters..
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Was at work(Valspar plant), watching it go down in our lab on the tv.  Production screeched to a halt.  Buddy Rick Valdes spray painted a huge American flag on the wall of our mill room.  I'm sure they painted around it, and it remains today.

Will be humbling looking at the Pentagon later this week vith the Vets.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I was playing golf with my new bride at Seaside in Sea Island, GA. We came in mid round and watched the coverage in the bar. We were on our honeymoon. We also had a hurricane roll in that night so all we could do was sit inside and watch the coverage the next few days by ourselves. It was a terrible honeymoon that I will never forget. True sadness over the death of people I would have never met. Completely senseless. I try to remember that tragedy every time I get mad about airport security. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

Getting ready to go to drive to KY for my grandmother's funeral.  Went to get some breakfast and heard the morning show guys talking about something, but it didn't really register until I was almost back home.  Turned on the TV and watched in astonishment as the second tower was hit.

Had to go pick up my suit from the tailor's before leaving town.  they had a TV.  As soon as we got there, the first tower fell.  We stayed till the second one fell.  Decided it was time to get out of Atlanta.

It was strange not seeing any planes coming out of Hartsfield in Atlanta.  No planes out of Dobbins just north of ATL.  No planes the entire time.  No music on the radio, either.  When we were getting closer to KY, it was really strange not seeing any aircraft coming out of Ft. Campbell.

Grandma was with the military in WW2, so she got full military honors.  We couldn't get an honor guard out of Campbell, so some of the guys from the VFW showed up and gave the 21 gun salute with hunting rifles.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    And 9/11 is rough at my clinic.  One of the other docs flew with Charles Burlingame in the Navy.  Charles, or "Chick" was the pilot of the plane that was hijacked and flown into the Pentagon.  Chick was one of the best F4 Phantom pilots out there, flew off the Saratoga, and had High Honors graduating from TOPGUN.

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    And 9/11 is rough at my clinic.  One of the other docs flew with Charles Burlingame in the Navy.  Charles, or "Chick" was the pilot of the plane that was hijacked and flown into the Pentagon.  Chick was one of the best F4 Phantom pilots out there, flew off the Saratoga, and had High Honors graduating from TOPGUN.
    A chill actually ran down my spine when I read your post.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    @SemolinaPilchard - yeah, people will look up at the picture as they come back and I ask them if they read the placard that is underneath it.  They always say no.  I tell them the story.  I show them the pictures of him and John flying side by side in 2 F4's over the Mediterranean.  It's interesting to see their faces.  Most of their responses are simply "Damn"!

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I was in high school in between first and second period walking into Spanish 202- Mrs Gardners class..
    she was talking with me about my grandad passing when the Principal came on the loud speaker and advised all teachers and students to halt class and turn on the news...
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I will always remember, but I choose not to dwell on it.
    I don't watch any of the documentary's or replays of the news footage.
    The memories are just to painful.   
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    O.K. I have mentioned it once or twice but I'm a newb here. I was on the roof of a building in Jersey City NJ. Installing a Hi-vac unit with a rigging company. Myself and my brother heard the 1st one hit and turned and watched the 2nd one hit. Still too much to discuss. Can't really talk about it to this day. Hope that's ok. All I got. Sorry. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    You had to be a bad ass to fly a fighter jet without a machine gun on it. 
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was pulling rail vans out of the CSX rail yard in Atlanta that morning. My wife was in Sparta,NC. delivering a load. At that time we had no cell phone service in the NC mountains, by the time she got back in phone range the towers had already collapsed. A week later she delivered a load of supplies right outside of ground zero. She said she had never seen anything as moving as how EVERYONE was pulling together as  Americans. We will never forget that day!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    In college at Auburn.  Glued to the TV.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • MN-Egger
    Options
    I was on the phone............desperately trying to reach my wife who was in the air, traveling on business. Of course I could not reach her. She and the other passengers were stunned at the announcement that the plane was making an emergency landing at the closest airport with no further explanation. She didn't know what happened till she landed and saw the many text messages from me explaining.

--
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I was in an IT class in one of those hotel conference/meeting rooms.  Nobody came to tell us (all cell phones were turned off).  I left for lunch break and tried calling my wife a couple times just to kill time on my lunch break.  No cell service.  I started walking around a car dealership's lot and a salesman came out to ask if he could help me.  It was obvious i had no clue what happened so he took me inside and he had a TV at his desk where we watched the coverage for a while. 

One of my current co-workers had a brother who went hunting or fishing in a remote area of Canada on a guided tour.  No communication what so ever.  They were supposed to be picked up by sea plane on the evening of 9/11.  The plane never came to get them.  I think it was three days before they were picked up and told what happened.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • egger ave
    Options
    Dredger said:
    In the wilderness in Va. on a sales call and hubby called to tell me what was happening. Pulled over to the side of the road and cried. Said to myself how glad that my Daddy, WW11 hero, wasn't alive to see this. Marine, as are my brothers. His tours.

Sea and Foreign Pacific
    May 20 - July 7, 1942
    Guadacanal
    August 7 - December 15 1942
    Camp Glouchester
    December 26 - March 1, 1943 - 1944
    Iwo Jima
    February 19 - March 26, 1945
    Okinawa
    June 10 - 24, 1945

After his stint overseas, he was a DI for 5 years. He would have kicked their a$$ for sure if he was still with us. Really miss that man. Semper Fi. Never forget and never forgive, it ain't my nature. Thoughts with the ones lost and their families. God bless America.

My Dad flew close air support for the invasion of Okinawa so your dad and mine were in same battle. Our fathers were part of the generation that we won't see the likes of again. Nice post.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • egger ave
    Options

yljkt said:
    O.K. I have mentioned it once or twice but I'm a newb here. I was on the roof of a building in Jersey City NJ. Installing a Hi-vac unit with a rigging company. Myself and my brother heard the 1st one hit and turned and watched the 2nd one hit. Still too much to discuss. Can't really talk about it to this day. Hope that's ok. All I got. Sorry. 
    I understand, lost some good friends on 9/11. I don't think it it will ever be "OK" with me. Painful memories and sad days that followed.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I was a High School Principal on the West Coast at the time. I was in the shower when my wife walked in and said a plane had flown into the towers. As I was thinking what a tragic accident, she walked back in and said a second plane had hit the towers. Knew right then it was a purposeful attack. Threw on some clothes and drove to school. Met with campus security, called the PD for response strategy. Started setting up TV's for the classrooms, and providing counseling for students if needed.  later that morning I gave an address to the student body and faculty. Never ever forget that morning. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I was at home packing to fly to Seattle for a couple weeks.  Because of the grounding we didn't get on a flight until Friday (I think) and it was weird as hell - the whole airport/flying experience.  People were somber.