Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Outdoor TV Enclosure for egging area

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
OT... I am looking to place a TV on my screened in porch near my egging area.  Probably just place it on a cart instead of mounting it to anything.  I was wondering if any of y'all have recommendations as far as how to weatherproof it. I know they sell outdoor weatherproof tv's , but I was hoping to use the flat screen that I currently have. Don't wanna spend too much money.  I read up on enclosures and was wondering if y'all had any ideas or recommendations. TIA!! 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Was there a thread about it @Eggcelsior
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    No, you have to come to Brisket Camp III to learn more.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    DMW said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    No, you have to come to Brisket Camp III to learn more.
    That could be arranged.  =)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    I just use an Armoire under a covered porch.  Close it up at night.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    I just use an Armoire under a covered porch.  Close it up at night.
    Good to know. I may do that then. The tv I have was a $300 deal off of groupon, so it wouldn't be a huge loss if the humidity did damage. 
  • AVEngineer
    AVEngineer Posts: 120
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have seen these guys at a few trade shows. Looks to be a nice product. 
    http://protectiveenclosures.com

If you decide to by a true outdoor TV you can't go wrong with a Sunbrite TV. They have different models depending on the sun exposure. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • NonaScott
    Options
    I've had an old flat screen led tv on the patio for 8 years. I took a plastic table crotch and folded it in half the cut the sides to be a bit longer than the tv and and took some silicone adhesive and gued the sides shut. We just slip it over the tv when not in use.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Get a custom cover.....it should not cost too much. The outdoor TV's are outragious in price, you will be able to purchase 4 regular TV's for the price of an outdoors. Get the cover...and don't sweat it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    FWIW, I just move my TV in and out when I want to use it. I think it's a 40" LCD. which isn't heavy. I plumed a 100ft HDMI cable down into crawlspace and then out the exterior vent. I use app on my phone to change channels (DirectTV). I don't have a covered area, otherwise I would just leave it out there permanently with some type of cover over it. TV will last years..

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    @Raymont this is what I do as well, gave up on finding an affordable solution as my deck isn't covered at this point.  We have a 42" Vizio I carry out and either hook up an Apple TV or an ATT wireless box.  Takes me 5 min to setup and I've been able to put TV in a few different locations, watching a game from the pool is nice.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Legume said:
    @Raymont this is what I do as well, gave up on finding an affordable solution as my deck isn't covered at this point.  We have a 42" Vizio I carry out and either hook up an Apple TV or an ATT wireless box.  Takes me 5 min to setup and I've been able to put TV in a few different locations, watching a game from the pool is nice.
    I have the ATT wireless box as well.....works extremely well outside.

• northGAcock
    Options
     Can you roll in an out?

• Dyal_SC
    Options
     Can you roll in an out?
    I think I may go with something like that or the armoire idea @northGAcock.  Prolly just leave it out there and cover it when not in use. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I built a weather proof box.   I mounted it in the yard in the sun and rain. 

Still holding up well after 3 years.  Upgrade the TV a while back.

A few considerations if you make one:

It will get hot from the sun - you generally don't want it facing South, or West (most use will be in the evening).  The sun can be brutal.  It melted the back of my first tv - still worked through.  I put a reflective foil on the back.

Put mesh on any cooling holes or openings or you'll get insects.

It will make the built-in speakers worthless.  I bought a $24 amp and mounted some weatherproof Bose 101's on the outside of the cabinet.

Especially older TVs with CCFT lighting or plasma (not recommended) the inside of the box will heat up with use.  I put a cooling fan that pulls air through the enclosure.  Snorkels keep water out the cooling holes.

The wood part of my enclosure is old cypress.  I soaked it in epoxy.  You MUST put something with UV protection on it - I put spar varnish over the epoxy.   It's held up well.  Although the "roof" is pretty trashed...but that's a consumable.

I'll snap some pics when I get a chance.