Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to go from 400 Dome temp to 300 in fifteen seconds...

Options
2»

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Botch said:
    Begger said:
    Room temp water on HOT ceramic sounds like a fine way to CRACK IT.  Instantly.

And yet it doesn't.  

Things things function in the rain And snow
    There may be a difference between hitting the ceramic with water on the Outside, versus the Inside; the outside rarely gets too hot to touch, and a healthy fire to heat the outside that much may run out of fuel before that high heat "soaks" to the outside surface of the egg, I dunno.  
    And many of you have had your eggs crack for no reason.  Why stress it unnecessarily?  
    The outside isn't too hot to touch? Mine sure is! 

When my temp gets away from me like that, I just adjust the vent to where it should have been in the first place and keep in cookin'. Eventually, the temp drops. Higher temp just means it'll be done a bit sooner.

But if I felt I HAD to reduce the temp, I wouldn't hesitate to use water trick. If it's good enough for BGE testing, who are we to argue?! Besides, it's warranted.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @Carolina Q. I'd have just adjusted vents, but it was 400 vs 300 for roast beef we didn't need for a couple hours. 

Normally, for a butt or ribs, I don't worry. 

But I didn't want too much grey exterior
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It's a nice trick for sure.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    If it cracks, it's got a warranty, right? Why are people so worried?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    funny thing is all the empirical and scientific experience that shows it is safe. 

But i will put you down as a 'no'

Darby you are spot on it was at the Mothership that I watched them take a hose to a 450 degree plate setter to cool quickly for travel after a store cook. BGE's are very tough and can take the thermal shock.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DieselkW
    Options
    just a thought - a smaller quantity of ice placed on the lump might work even better. It takes a LOT more heat to change the phase of water (twice) from ice to steam. Less water, less chance of water hitting the ceramics as it wouldn't be liquid all at once.

My two cents.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
      at the Mothership that I watched them take a hose to a 450 degree plate setter to cool quickly for travel after a store cook. BGE's are very tough and can take the thermal shock.
    i picked up a buddy's large at an eggfest. everyone was standing around waiting for the eggs to cool, but i didn't have any time to be hanging around...

i dumped my cooler into the thing.  icewater and all.

the only shock was what registered on the attendees faces.

;)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I had 2 eggs go nuclear as I was prepping for a pizza cook last night. Both thermos wrapped. We were doing these pies at 550 so this was a problem. I dumped a little water in each egg and the temps were down and perfectly stable in minutes. Great pro tip right there! so simple but I probably would have never thought of it. I mean I haven't thought of it in 10 years so there is nothing to show that I would have thought of it in 10 more.

Thanks!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Darby I use a similar trick when cooking turkeys. I always start turkeys at 550 degrees for 10-15 minutes. I then pour water into the drip pan to drop to finishing temp of 350-375 degrees. Works like a charm. On that note, I haven't dumped water directly into egg it's self, always into the drip pan. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Of course it's possible someone will blame a crack on me at some point, so do this at your own risk

however minimal it may be

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Of course it's possible someone will blame a crack on me at some point, so do this at your own risk

however minimal it may be
    I just checked. You will be hearing from my attorney. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    SGH said:
    Darby I use a similar trick when cooking turkeys. I always start turkeys at 550 degrees for 10-15 minutes. I then pour water into the drip pan to drop to finishing temp of 350-375 degrees. Works like a charm. On that note, I haven't dumped water directly into egg it's self, always into the drip pan. 
    You should rethink this, it really messes with the salt in your drip pan, probably leaves the drippings inedible as well.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Legume said:
    SGH said:
    You should rethink this, it really messes with the salt in your drip pan, probably leaves the drippings inedible as well.
    Brother I use an empty drip pan, no salt to mess up. Also I don't use the drippings from the high heat cook for anything. So no worries on the drippings either. If I need turkey dripping I will sweat down a bunch of necks for the drippings. They are dirt cheap down here. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    I WANT your pic at Gillette pouring ice water out of a cooler into a hot egg. You posted it on the old forum once upon a time. I have looked several times and can't find it. Please repost.
    He didn't dump water in it precisely, he actually peed in it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Ive done this plenty of times.. Water doesnt touch the egg.. just the lump.

My firepits have never blown up when I pee in them. Just my eyes burn.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I WANT your pic at Gillette pouring ice water out of a cooler into a hot egg. You posted it on the old forum once upon a time. I have looked several times and can't find it. Please repost.
    He didn't dump water in it precisely, he actually peed in it
    I do NOT want a pic of THAT!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut