Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Moved, quality of life way up.

Options
My wife and I just moved from a house that did not have a yard to a bigger house in the same general area with a great backyard. Before I had to move my egg outside overtime i wanted to cook on it, then let it cool down before moving it back in the garage. It was such a pain. Not anymore I am loving this. I have used my egg more in the last two weeks than I had in the last 3 months. Burgers to break it in, then prime brisket, chicken, burgers again and steak. The only draw back is I cannot find my ceramic cap to shut down the egg so I am burning through more charcoal every time. Oh well maybe a trip to the mothership if I cannot find it by this weekend. Maybe buy a cover for the egg as well,. 
Suwanee, GA

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Congratulations on your new home.  
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Great story, glad you are happier in your new home!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That is outstanding. You guys enjoy your new diggs and egg on. Might be a good time to consider a smokware cap.....http://smokeware.com/
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My original cap broke, dealer sold me a new one for 25$ - congrats on new home!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Cue the Smokeware Chimney Cap crowd. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    OR... a cheap piece of steel / aluminum / leftover flat metal
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Mine will shut down just fine if I close the daisy wheel. I don't have to put the ceramic cap on.
  • mikeinccfl
    Options
    Great upgrade, best luck with the new homestead!
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Congrats on the move.

I broke a cap a long time ago. I would just cover the top with some aluminum foil and throw the daisy wheel back on top. Worked like a champ, but the cap started getting rusty. Finally broke down and bought a new cap after a few months.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Cue the Smokeware Chimney Cap crowd. 
    Missed it by 38 minutes.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Congrats on the new yard.  And I am pleased to be a proud member of the smokeware crowd, as was mentioned earlier.  Number 2 in terms of "must have" upgrades, imo.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Congrats! Will be nice to have a permanent place to keep and use your Egg.

On the downside tho - now you have a big yard to mow.   :|
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    ChuckR said:
    My wife and I just moved from a house that did not have a yard to a bigger house in the same general area with a great backyard. Before I had to move my egg outside overtime i wanted to cook on it, then let it cool down before moving it back in the garage. It was such a pain. Not anymore I am loving this. I have used my egg more in the last two weeks than I had in the last 3 months. Burgers to break it in, then prime brisket, chicken, burgers again and steak. The only draw back is I cannot find my ceramic cap to shut down the egg so I am burning through more charcoal every time. Oh well maybe a trip to the mothership if I cannot find it by this weekend. Maybe buy a cover for the egg as well,. 

PM me your addy. I'll ship one out to you later this week. I've got an extra ceramic cap. No charge. Might have a chip or two in it. 
    I'll sell you a cover for a large egg in nest as well. Perfect condition, prolly three months old, 50.00. Putting toward table cover. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    BilZol I appreciate the offer but I actually found mine this afternoon while looking for the power drill. Also I have a table and egg so the cover will not fit, but thank you again for offering. That is greatly appreciated. 
    Suwanee, GA
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    ChuckR said:
    BilZol I appreciate the offer but I actually found mine this afternoon while looking for the power drill. Also I have a table and egg so the cover will not fit, but thank you again for offering. That is greatly appreciated. 

Glad you found it. I'm moving out of nests to tables. If you find a good source for table covers let me know. I sized mine to BGE plans hoping there would be some out there. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Congrats!  
    But, like great cooks.... pics or it didn't happen!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month