Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First SRF Black Brisket, Feelin' the nerves. . .

Options
I started my first SRF brisket, black grade, last night. Meat was on at 11pm, Smobot set to 225. I got up at 6am and temp was at 168. Based on my temp graph, it looked to be in the stall which was perfect. I wrapped with paper, my first time doing so. When I got it back on, the temp had dropped to 157. It stayed there until 9, so I double checked with my thermapen. Right of with the temp, so I wrapped back up. Now the temp dropped down to 154. In the last hour it has bumped back up to 156. Is this typical for wrapping with paper? I've unwrapped with foil so I'm used to a quicker bump. Is this typical? Is there still a good stall with paper?
Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE

Comments

• xiphoid007
    Options
    Some pics. Almost forgot. Rubbed and rewrap pic. Size is 14.5 pretrim, probably about 12.5-13

Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Could just be the location.  I have a brisket on right now and 2 meat probes.  One is reading 15 degrees cooler than the other.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• xiphoid007
    Options
    I've heard of even dropping temp during the stall, so maybe. Or maybe I pushed in. I just hate the change when I have the first money brisket on!

Up to 163 now, so I think I'm heading in the right direction.

How long until you don't freak out with every brisket cook?
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    I've heard of even dropping temp during the stall, so maybe. Or maybe I pushed in. I just hate the change when I have the first money brisket on!

Up to 163 now, so I think I'm heading in the right direction.

How long until you don't freak out with every brisket cook?
    Once you consistently start making them good.  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Are you still running 225? If needed you can push it through to the end at 175-185. Congrats on the SRF cook, I still haven't cooked one of those! Bet it will be delicious. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @xiphoid007 -  Once you believe in the feel, then you won't stress over the temperature profile of the cook.  Just use the internal temp or the looseness of the brisket to start checking for the "feel".  
    And always remember, every brisket cook is a totally unique adventure-but the feel is a constant finish-line indicator.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Thanks all for kind words and encouragement. 

Still running at 225 @blind99. It's moving now so I may just stay the course.

For paper wrappers, do u just keep in paper for FTC (so PTC) or switch to foil? 

I'm gonna start checking for that feel at 185, as that's the common number I've heard SFR briskets will finish.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • blind99
    Options
    I've only wrapped a few in paper but did not feel the need to switch to foil. 

Looking forward to your final product!
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Probed literally like air at 183. Resting right now for an hour then slicing. 17hrs overall, 10 hrs once wrapped in paper. Will post slicing pics to tie after dinner. Guests getting hungry!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Turned out awesome. Funny enough a portion of the point was actually a little chewy, but the rest was perfect. Juice poured out when slice. Meat was literally buttery smooth.

I almost preferred the flat to the point, but it was still all amazing. The point seemed almost like it needed a little more time, but flat was done. 

All in all, a great cook. I'm a new believer in paper over foil. SRF rules. 

Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Nice. Yeah the SRF briskets I have done all needed extra time on the point. From now on I will definitely do burnt ends with SRF because that fact. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Great result -congrats on the cook.  Banquet right there-nailed it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    Options
    The thunder gods are smiling. You did that brisket proud!

lots of great uses await any leftover point... 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options

I'm gonna start checking for that feel at 185, as that's the common number I've heard SFR briskets will finish.

A SRF black brisket is typically 205-210 before it probes tender. When you cut a pencil thick slice, it should drape across your finger like a limp dish rag without falling apart.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smokeyw said:

A SRF black brisket is typically 205-210 before it probes tender. When you cut a pencil thick slice, it should drape across your finger like a limp dish rag without falling apart.
    I don't find that to be typical. I have had them done at 185 and at 205. I've only done 5-6 but i've only had one hit 200 before it was done and that was the last one I did in the dishwasher. The first one I did was 185 and all the others were in the low 190's
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    smokeyw said:

I don't find that to be typical. I have had them done at 185 and at 205. I've only done 5-6 but i've only had one hit 200 before it was done and that was the last one I did in the dishwasher. The first one I did was 185 and all the others were in the low 190's

Check this thread out. These are competition cooks and I know most people here are not looking for that but tender is tender. I honestly feel like some people here have never seen a properly cooked slice of brisket so they have nothing to gauge it by. It can be good but still not as good as it could be.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235090&highlight=brisket

• xiphoid007
    Options
    @smokeyw the flat was probing without resistance. Tender is tender, so I don't know what to say about that. The pencil thick slices would fold in half over a finger or knife. 

Like I said, part of the point was a bit chewy and probably could've gone longer. I may just do burnt ends next time, but I'll see. 

While I agree I am a brisket novice, all I can say is it seemed tender at 183. I've never had a brisket probe that smoothly yet. And 1 hr before it was still probing rough.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE