Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smarter Starter Fluid at Home Depot

Options
Walking through the grill aisle at HD today, I noticed this stuff for the first time.  Anyone tried it?  Yes, I know you don't need it if you have a torch....

2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,049
    Options
    Oh lord.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I use the little wax cubes and a chimney.   
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    I use about 1/4 of a bottle, letting it soak into the ceramic.  Then pour another bit on the charcoal and light.  That way it lights fast from every angle.
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    blasting said:

I give up.  I typed two terrific replies, and each time decided I'd regret it in the AM.  

I didn't get as far as typing them.........
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    dopey said:
    I use about 1/4 of a bottle, letting it soak into the ceramic.  Then pour another bit on the charcoal and light.  That way it lights fast from every angle.

That reminds me, there's a freeze warning in the mountains, I need to pour some Prestone in my tank to keep the gas from freezing.... :o
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I'll translate  others comments. DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF LIGHTER FLUID IN A KAMADO! 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    I'll translate  others comments. DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF LIGHTER FLUID IN A KAMADO! 
    He's a hurricane fan, he doesn't know any better. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I thought all lighter fluid was natural.
    It is derived from petroleum, and that's a natural product from the Earth.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,474
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Myron Mixon uses lighter fluid, and he has more BBQ trophies than you do.  He admonishes in one of his books to follow the damn directions (paraphrasing his writing style) and let the flames burn down completely before adding the food.  
    I think there are a couple chemists on this forum, would be interesting to see the combustion equation for lighter fluid; if the products are only CO2 and H2O, then its a moot point.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Botch said:
    Myron Mixon uses lighter fluid, and he has more BBQ trophies than you do.  He admonishes in one of his books to follow the damn directions (paraphrasing his writing style) and let the flames burn down completely before adding the food.  
    I think there are a couple chemists on this forum, would be interesting to see the combustion equation for lighter fluid; if the products are only CO2 and H2O, then its a moot point.  
    Used properly in a metal cooker, fluid shouldn't present a problem. Dumped liberally in a ceramic cooker, not so sure. Even in my metal cookers, I don't use fluid though, a chimney works fine, as do starter cubes, torches, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I didn't realize HD sold EVERCLEAR. In the paint deptartment next to turpentine maybe?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Options
    And there we go!

:glasses:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Options
    Incidently, I have a coworker who is also an Egger, and he berates me all the time for using the starter cubes, claims there's residue left from them also (probably more than the above, obviously).  

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Ring the bell....
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Starter cubes are not pure hydrocarbons.  The methanol and ethanol combustion is right, but starter cubes are not pure.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I light mine with homemade starter cubes made from unsuspecting stranger's eyelashes that I collect on the subway. 

Phoenix 
  • BilZol
    Options
    blasting said:

I light mine with homemade starter cubes made from unsuspecting stranger's eyelashes that I collect on the subway. 

You too?
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    Botch said:

It stinks. That portion of it that soaks into the ceramic doesn't burn off. It still stinks though. I dunno who Myron is but he's never cooked for me, but I bet the lighter fluid he uses stinks. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Botch said:

It stinks. That portion of it that soaks into the ceramic doesn't burn off. It still stinks though. I dunno who Myron is but he's never cooked for me, but I bet the lighter fluid he uses stinks. 
    What stink? I love the smell of lighter fluid wafting through the neighborhood air........it smells like BBQ season. 
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    @BBQBuddy would have deserved the troll button, 
    but so many responses appeared to think he was serious.... Slow clap, good job sir
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    dopey said:
    but so many responses appeared to think he was serious.... Slow clap, good job sir

Don't know if he was or not.  Doesn't matter to me.  

We need a lighter fluid or lump discussion every few days.  It's a bleeder valve for aggression and sarcasm.

Phoenix 
  • Botch
    edited September 2016
    Options
    dopey said:
    Can't agree with you, at all.  

@RRP suggested that the OP's fluid was pure alcohol (which it may be), and hence cannot taint the food (and lots of folks here use alcohol to light).
    @BilZol claims that "it stinks"; I've actually never used lighter fluid so it may, I'm gonna be checking a few cans with my reading glasses next time I'm in Lowe's/HD.  I could easily understand there are fluids out there that are not alcohol or have other additives.  Regardless, I would think ligher fluid would be aimed at the lump, and if a few drops hit the ceramic, yeah, it could soak in, but as the heat rises volatiles, any volatiles, "soaked" into the ceramic would quickly gas off and burn.  
    Myron Mixon has published at least two books on barbequeing, and has won many national contests, but yeah, I bet his food stinks of lighter fluid.  

Perhaps I need another intranetz break, this is like arguing with trump supporters.  :|

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I love the smell of ETOH based starters in the morning.  Smells like...victory.
    One of my favorite lines from my favorite movies ever.   
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I use CH3NO2. I love the smell in the morning. :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    bud812 said:
    I use CH3NO2. I love the smell in the morning. :D
    Nitro methane? 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Botch said:

@RRP suggested that the OP's fluid was pure alcohol (which it may be), and hence cannot taint the food (and lots of folks here use alcohol to light).

I did? Actually I meant a liquid alternative. At $46 for that jug of EVERCLEAR I use it sparingly and only when I have gotten frustrated with the speed of my usual methods. Already I learned to stand back! WAY the H*LL back using that stuff. Houdini would be proud of some of my balls of fire! Actually I hate using the stuff for that reason.
  • BilZol
    Options
    Botch said:

Perhaps I need another intranetz break, this is like arguing with trump supporters.  :|

So at least your used to losing arguments. 

I'm sure the volatile parts of the lighter fluid flash off, I'm sure they evaporate. So does gasoline. It still stinks when all is said and done. 

Now, I still don't know who Myron is, don't really care. Never said his food stunk. I said that I bet his lighter fluid did. Comprehension, give it a whirl. It's amazing when you get the hang of it. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Botch
    Options
    RRP said:
    Botch said:

I did? Actually I meant a liquid alternative. At $46 for that jug of EVERCLEAR I use it sparingly and only when I have gotten frustrated with the speed of my usual methods. Already I learned to stand back! WAY the H*LL back using that stuff. Houdini would be proud of some of my balls of fire! Actually I hate using the stuff for that reason.
    I misunderstood.  

• RRP
    Options
    BilZol said:

Now, I still don't know who Myron is, don't really care. Never said his food stunk. I said that I bet his lighter fluid did. Comprehension, give it a whirl. It's amazing when you get the hang of it. 
    Perhaps I should leave your comment alone but I just can't. Sooner than later you might want to at least be able to acknowledge who Myron is in the BBQ world - he's no backyard dude doing an occasional butt and some ribs.
    http://porkbarrelbbq.com/the-25-most-influential-people-in-bbq-number-5-myron-mixon/