Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Safe temp to put the BGE cover back on?

JackGTJackGT Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As we all know, it can take a looooong time for the BGE to cool down after a cook. Does anyone know what is a safe temperature to put the cover back on? I hate having to wait until midnight to put the cover back on.[p]JackGT
·

Comments

• JimbobJimbob Posts: 54
    JackGT,
    I haven't found a fast was to cool down the BGE. I wait until I can hold my hands on the outside of the egg before I put on the cover. So far so good, I haven't melted a cover yet.

·
  • jimmyjimmy Posts: 34
    The BGE is ceramic.........it doesn't need a cover. I live in Chicago, my egg is exposed all year from 10 below to 100 and no problem
    ·
  • JackGT,
    I agree with Jimbob. It's probably my only gripe with the bge - the long cool down. If I can hold myt hands on it without screaming the cover goes on.

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,651
    JackGT,
    After 6 years of use I have found that waiting until it is dead cold in the morning is very acceptable. I don't understand your concern for quickly covering your BGE. The ceramic isn't going to fade or crackle if that is your concern.

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·