Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picture of BGE 3 Tier Grate & 2 " Platesetter

Options
SMITTYtheSMOKER
SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
23TIERPICS.jpg
<p />These were posted by someone here recently.
-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER, Do they make one for a medium?
    Gerry

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    61 CHEV,[p]Large only at this point is what I understand.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    I assume you mean fire ring rather than plate setter??[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Opps...you are correct.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER, and you would order that from where? Price?
  • SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]i don't get why the second rack is so small. seems like a waste. plus, are they perma-attached? if so, how do you get to your food durring a cook?[p]not trying to be a kill joy or anything... just askin.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    sigmore,[p]You could call BGE directly.[p]Someone here today mentioned a price of $41 for the 3-Tier Grate and $35 for the Finre Ring. He got both shipped for about a $100.[p]There is a thread below talking abou this item.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER, I read the thread but must have missed the price quote. Thanks.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    SirKeats,
    Not knowin, just guessin, methinks the first and second level is small enough to access food at the first level with a temp probe or tongs. Slightly smaller grids above the first contribute to sufficient heat circulation and air flow. Looks like you add/remove food at the first level by removing the contraption, the top two levels allow access from the sides and top. From the pictures posted, looks well designed.
    Clay

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Ooops, meant to say that the third and second level grid is small enough to access food with a probe at the first level. Well, that's how I see it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]Can someone tell me where the drip pan goes to make this setup cook indirect?? Or maybe you use a plate setter and if so, how does it install with this setup? Looks good if it will work.[p]Dave

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Dave,[p]I think you can still use the plate-setter with the smaller fire ring. So a drip pan could be under the first grate(?).[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jimmy
    jimmy Posts: 34
    Options
    Does that triple constrict air flow in the dome? Too much meat volume for a decent flow of smoke in the dome?
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    could you not remove all together the ring and just use the plate setter then the 3 tier for more space?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    That is a pic of the new three tier cooking grate and the "Firering" that you use with it, not a plater setter.[p] The rack is built the way it is to accomodate airflow and access to the other levels. The higher you go the smaller the grills must be to maintain airflow in the dome.

• Unknown
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about the new 3 level cooking system so I will try to explain. To get this new system to work you must take out your 4" fire ring put the 2" fire ring in, add the plate setter (legs up) then put the three level grid on top of the plate setter. As long as you stay below 350 degrees (and that is the 350 degrees on the external reading), you will be fine. Set up like this you will not have to rotate flip or move any thing on any of the three levels. It is the same thing that has been used and hand made by many of our egghead customers and it has been seen on this forum page many times. If you have any questions just call us, we tested this for many, months before putting it on the market. I hope this will help but if not please give us a call and we can explain more.[p]John[p]R&D BGE