Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax @ Sams club for $474 (Free shipping)

Options

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's a good price, however you will have NO WARRANTY as Sam's is not a licensed egg dealer.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    It's a smokin' AWESOME deal. If I was in the market for a MM, I'd absolutely jump on that.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    It's a good price, however you will have NO WARRANTY as Sam's is not a licensed egg dealer.
    Do you think the mothership would not honor if you had any issues?  Not trying to start a debate, just a curiosity question.
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    Who cares if it doesn't have the factory warranty. It has SAMs club warranty which is just as good. That's a great deal. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    CoMoBGE said:
    Who cares if it doesn't have the factory warranty. It has SAMs club warranty which is just as good. That's a great deal. 
    Sure, that means Sam's will return your money and not give you replacement parts.
    This means any add on stuff you buy will then be worthless, sitting in your garage.
    Sam's also ONLY has a 1 year warranty. Then what are you going to do when your first year is up and your $200 base cracks.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    I'm spending the extra to buy from ace. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Meh.. I'd still go with the Joe Jr. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CoMoBGE
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    CoMoBGE said:
    Sure, that means Sam's will return your money and not give you replacement parts.
    This means any add on stuff you buy will then be worthless, sitting in your garage.
    Sam's also ONLY has a 1 year warranty. Then what are you going to do when your first year is up and your $200 base cracks.

That's not true in the least bit. Had a cracked fire ring that I took in and they just grabbed one out of the floor model. Also not sure why you think it only has a 1 year warranty. It comes with the same lifetime warranty that all non electronics comes with thru SAMs club. 
  • jimmyhat1978
    Options
    Medium BGE, Japanese Konro, NOLA proud.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Do you think the mothership would not honor if you had any issues?  Not trying to start a debate, just a curiosity question.
    I don't think they would help you out. It happens rather often and Sam's will get a pile of eggs. If you go to register it they will disallow since it was purchased from an unauthorized dealer. You could always call Bruce at the mothership and ask this very question and see what they say. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SoCalTim
    Options
    I actually just texted my neighbor who works in management at my local Sam's. He told me, lifetime warranty on all non electronic items - 'cept clothing.

Great price, great warranty. Maybe, just maybe I'll order one.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    CoMoBGE said:
    Photo Egg said:
    CoMoBGE said:

That's not true in the least bit. Had a cracked fire ring that I took in and they just grabbed one out of the floor model. Also not sure why you think it only has a 1 year warranty. It comes with the same lifetime warranty that all non electronics comes with thru SAMs club. 
    Sam's club NEVER has a consistent product line. Have they always carried BGE?
    In the past, almost every size of BGE Egg has been sold for very short times. Walk into your store today with a cracked XL Base and see what happens. Oh, we don't stock that any more. I'm very happy you got your fire ring replaced 1 time. Let us know what happens in the future.
    My biggest issue is that the managers in 2 of the Sam's Clubs in my area both told me they were authorized dealers of BGE and that BGE would honor the warranty. I said great, let me call on my cell phone with you standing here. Both walked away. BGE is not the only product they sell as non authorized dealers voiding the factory company's warranty.
    My other big gripe is with BGE...They should list these sellers specifically on there website as non authorized sellers instead of only making generic reference...

Below from BGE site:

"Discount Clubs, On Line Stores and other similar entities are not Authorized Dealers, and are in effect reselling products they have acquired elsewhere. Big Green Egg does not recognize or offer a warranty on any EGG purchased from an unauthorized online reseller, so be wary of anyone claiming to be an online Big Green Egg dealer." 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • CoMoBGE
    Options
    While I agree that the product line at SAMs can change, my local club has had XLs on the floor for the last couple years. 
    My gripe with BGE is that they have to know which distributers are selling to SAMs club and nothing is done to them. BGE gets paid and the distributer gets paid but the end consumer is the one left in the cold. If they are that serious about "protecting the name brand" then pull the distributers license if they sell to unauthorized retailers. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    If BGE was stupid enough to let them get eggs in the first place, they should step up and honor the warranty.  We're not talking about a dozen eggs in a back alley here.  There will be some unhappy uninformed eggers in the near future if they have a base, box, or ring crack.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Yeah, what Focker said. Sam's club isn't going to be doing some shady deal on a few egg's. Gonna be trailer loads. They have to know who sold them to the retailer. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    happens every year, usually in the spring. selling this way now tells me bge made too many and/or the price was too high =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I have a friend who owns a garden center and sells BGE. So what about all the small Mom and Pops that tow the company line? Just get undersold by a huge big box? That's a sh!t sandwich minus the bread. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    yljkt said:
    I have a friend who owns a garden center and sells BGE. So what about all the small Mom and Pops that tow the company line? Just get undersold by a huge big box? That's a sh!t sandwich minus the bread. 
    I agree, just like Kamado Joe does to their dealers with "The Road Show" pricing as Costco. Although I did hear this is the last season for the Costco Kamado Road Show. How true this is I don't know.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    One of the dealers near me has 15% off sales putting their price pretty close to this and they are authorized.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    One of the dealers near me has 15% off sales putting their price pretty close to this and they are authorized.
    My wife picked mine up from a local authorized retailer offering a discount last Christmas. $100 off, she paid $530 OTD with warranty, proud moment for me.

It still bothers me when I see these at SAMs knowing there's no warranty. Prices are great though!
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Sams warrants it themselves. If it breaks and they can't replace it they refund your money so you used it for free. No biggie. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    When I bought my XL from an Authorized Dealer, I got a certain discount right off.   Adding stuff, like plate setter, ash tool, 'nest', 2 bags of charcoal and even some WEBER parts improved the deal.   Even had free assembly / delivery.
    I already had the nest built when they arrived.   Now that I cracked a ring, I'm glad for my warranty.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    I just ordered the MM thru my neighbor (who works for Sams) ... he's having it shipped directly to his store AND he is giving me his 4% off discount, final price approx $456.00 - sold!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    The only warranty an egg from Sam's Club is a full warranty meaning they will not replace pieces as they break. Not worth it to me. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Sams warrants it themselves. If it breaks and they can't replace it they refund your money so you used it for free. No biggie. 
    That's a good point and worth considering, assuming that the Sam's Club warranty is a lifetime warranty.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    $456 OTD is a good deal.  Worth the risk IMO.
    If they break, it will more than likely be done in transport, not covered anyways.

How many cracked Small or MM posts are you guys seeing?  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    My only question is how Sams got them. I agree, this isn't a few eggs in a white van. This is trailer loads. It makes me suspicious. Are they "seconds"???? We all support our local dealers for the most part. We all agree that eggs need local dealers to handle warranty and accessories. Why would BGE pull some shoddy $hit. I can tell you, I would be highly irritated if BGE sold trailer loads of eggs to Sams and then wouldn't warranty them exactly the same as those eggs sold through their dealers. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I would bet all of Ron's money that a dealer or a few dealers somewhere got a phone call from someone looking to buy quite a few of these for some kind of contest or give away. And made a deal while trying not to pee all over themselves thinking that they just made a big sale. 
    This method of acquiring non distribution product for sale as traffic builders has been done many times before.  And it is difficult for many manufacturers to police.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    yljkt said:

Sam's probably does not sell anything unless they can get 30%+ profit. If the local Mom and Pop needs 50% then they need to revisit their business model. There are 4 to 5 times the number of BGE dealers in my area over the past 10 years. Even with the popularity of BGE, older dealers sell no more now than what they did 10 years ago. Those dealers may have towed the line but BGE slit their throat by opening up the market. Talk about a sh!t sandwich. All dealers try to sell at full MSRP because of low volume.