Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza: plate setter or not?

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
edited September 2016 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on trying a pie again tonight on the egg. I'm using fresh dough sold in the grocery store but that's made by a local pizza company up here in Maine. It's not NY or Neapolitan style pie so they tailor their dough more towards 475-500° oven temps. Should I cook the pie on the stone, raised on the woo2 direct? Or on the stone with the plate setter inside the woo2?

Comments

• pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    I just did some with publix dough.  Woo2 to get the grid to the felt line, platesetter legs down on top of the grid, foil ball spacers, then the stone.

550 dime and checked the stone was at 500 with an IR thermometer.

Crust was great and the toppings cooked.

First time I was really pleased with my Pizza results.

• pflug
    Options
  • Powak
    Options
    pflug said:
    I just did some with publix dough.  Woo2 to get the grid to the felt line, platesetter legs down on top of the grid, foil ball spacers, then the stone.

Nice. What size pie could you fit up that high in the dome? I'm planning on making a 14". My stones a 14".
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Go for a setup something like this, using whatever parts you have. Works fine.

This is a Platesetter, assorted parts to raise the stone and a 14" stone. Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Powak
    Options
    Go for a setup something like this, using whatever parts you have. Works fine.

This is a Platesetter, assorted parts to raise the stone and a 14" stone. Enjoy!
    That's just what I'm shooting for! Looks great! About what temp did you run?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Beats me, 500° I think. That pizza pic is about 4 years old. I haven't done pizza in the egg in over three years.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tikigriller
    Options
    With as good as that pizza looks, I don't know how you have gone three years without doing one again!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    With as good as that pizza looks, I don't know how you have gone three years without doing one again!
    Thank you. :)

Oh, I've done them, but in my oven, not the egg. Just as good and much less trouble. That said, my oven is a freak of nature and will get to about 725° if I want (per IR thermo). The pepperoni above was 500°, but others have been north of 700°.

For health reasons, I don't do them as often as I used to. Unfortunately, they just aren't the same with reduced cheese and meat! No matter what cooker I use!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pflug
    Options
    Powak said:
    pflug said:

Nice. What size pie could you fit up that high in the dome? I'm planning on making a 14". My stones a 14".
    My stone is 13.5" - it is not a BGE stone but it's survived since I switched to only using it in the Egg.  I did have to do some 'fine tuning' of the placement of the platesetter (not really the stone) so the lid closed easily... but it worked fine.

I would guess my pizzas were around 12" in diameter.  I took the publix dough ball, let it sit out for a few hours and then I split in half and rolled out the two pizzas.  I did use parchment and kept it on for the first 5 min of the cook, then pulled it out, rotated the pie and did the last 3 minutes.

Good Luck!!!