Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remote Thermometer options

Options
I've used a Maverick ET-732 for 5 yrs and been happy.   Clunky and annoying, but reliable.   Maverick Customer service has also sent me replacement probes every time they died.   Well, new lab puppy finished off my unit by grbbing it off the Egg table and eating it.  So, I need a new remoth thermometer.   Don't want to spend $200 on guru-type device, as I only use it 5-6 times/yr.   for shorter, high heat cooks, my Thermapen is all I need.  I've read where the ET-733 and 735 were worse than the 732.    I don't really even need bluetooth, especially if it isn't even reliable.  Just looking for a new dual probe remote thermometer that can measure internal meat temp and grate temp effectively with an alarm to wake me up if something goes awry in the middle of an overnight cook.    Should I go with another ET-732, or is there a better option available now?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• cfuller3
    cfuller3 Posts: 33
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Nuvita.  I just got one on Yugster for 13 bucks.  Buy one a year easily and be happy with it.  It's a thermometer. I have two of the 'local' units, not remote. Now have one of the remote units on it's way.   If you must spend more, just send the rest to me.  No issues.

Portsmouth, VA.  LBGE.  Missed all this fun till now.   Update: Minimax added to arsenal. Hint, don't take off camping for a month after getting a LBGE, and leave it home, it'll cost you plenty.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Igtill2 here. Really enjoy it and you can do up to 4 probes at a time. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I have all 3 of the maverick's you mentioned.   They all still work, I just upgraded for various reasons/probes, etc.

I don't have issues with any of them but will give you feedback having used all three.

I found the 732 user interface pretty annoying.  The 733 is a little easier to figure out and I think you can get it now with the higher temp probes, but don't quote me.

The 735 is nice because you have the ease of a GUI interface and you can attach 4 probes.  When you program set points on the GUI it sends them to the unit, so even if you lose sync or your phone dies, the remote unit still does it's job...

...that said, the bluetooth range is not as good as the wireless range in the 732/733.  HOWEVER, the most annoying thing I found about the 732/733 is that if you are sleeping with it by your bed, 1-3 times a night it will wake you up with an alarm when it loses sync with the remote unit.  But then you look at it and it has regained sync and everything is fine.  I haven't used the 735 for an all-nighter yet and I'm not sure if the temp alarm works when my phone screen locks and goes to sleep.  Worth checking that. 

It is also annoying for me since my phone locks automatically (work email requirement) so I can't just let it sit and use it as a monitor, I have to constantly enter in the passcode to get back to the temperature screen.   And finally, while it is cool to have a GUI interface for the Maverick, it's a sh*tty GUI interface.  Needs work, but it is easy to figure out.

So, my recommendation is get whichever one comes with the higher temp probes at the best price.  They all do the job and you seem to be able to find one of them for a good price at all times.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I tell my wife to go out and look at the dome thermometer.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Amen to that!! I see no need for one of these things. What did you use when you cooked in your oven before you got an egg? Bet you didn't have one. How did you know when the food was done?

I bought a Maverick ET-73 shortly after I got an egg in 2009. Because everyone said I "had" to have one. I doubt I've used it half a dozen times, and not at all in the last several years. Last time I did, it worked fine and I imagine it still does. I just don't think it's worth the bother. Once I stabilize my dome temp. I know it's gonna stay there. I know about how long most cooks should take too. And I have a Thermapen to check at the end.

Save your money. Buy some food. Or some overpriced lump.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I've had the ET-132 since I got my large BGE, which is about three years, and have no complaints. The only thing I'm not a fan of is when setting the numbers for the alarm it only goes up like an alarm clock, a very minor issue. I'm very happy with mine and at $60 or so it's money well spent. Can't comment on the newer versions, but I'm sure they're great as well.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have the ET-732 and ET-733. I prefer the ET-733.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Amen to that!! I see no need for one of these things. What did you use when you cooked in your oven before you got an egg? Bet you didn't have one. How did you know when the food was done?

I bought a Maverick ET-73 shortly after I got an egg in 2009. Because everyone said I "had" to have one. I doubt I've used it half a dozen times, and not at all in the last several years. Last time I did, it worked fine and I imagine it still does. I just don't think it's worth the bother. Once I stabilize my dome temp. I know it's gonna stay there. I know about how long most cooks should take too. And I have a Thermapen to check at the end.

Save your money. Buy some food. Or some overpriced lump.

No need for a wife??? Well, it prolly would save a lot of money unless you already had one and tried to get rid of her..... :s
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Igtill2 here. Really enjoy it and you can do up to 4 probes at a time. 

I second the igrill2. Works great. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I like the remote thermos, 732/733, as I tend to have a short attention span and will wander off and forget what is going on. I miss the timer on the 732, but the probes and 733 has been rock solid, other than I can never remember which unit to turn off fist, I just pull the batteries out of the receiver when finished....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Been using my maverick for years.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Mayberry
    Options
    What are the main differences between the 732 and 733?   My 732 was reliable, simple and worked.   My only complaint was the interface was clunky.    Is the 733 really an upgrade?
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just read where the 733 has specific meat presets.    That seems annoying.  Can that be overridden?  I will only use on overnight/ long cooks to monitor my grate temp and meat temp.  I just want to set to 195 meat temp and let it go.   Can the 733 do that?
    Athens, GA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You can ignore the meat presets.  Just set it to whatever you want.

Any of them will do that for you.   If you think you'll ever want to monitor multiple cuts at one time then get the 735 as it has 4 probe inputs and they are all multipurpose (meat or grill).  So gives you an option to spread between two eggs if you have that need.

The 733 probes are compatible with the 735.  I recall the 732 being different, but since your dog ate the probes anyway (been there!), you're starting fresh.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    Still waiting on a Kickstarter wireless thermometer campaign, can't remember how long ago I contributed but they seem to be close to delivering soon.
    interesting idea and no wires so can be used inside a sou vide bag.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977846026/meater-the-first-truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom/posts/1633309 

Barrie,Ont.,Canada.