Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I feel the need for ribs. DP question as well.

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ribs430pm.jpg
<p />I have always used Dizzy Dust. What other product has anyone tried on babybacks?[p]Mike

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    have you tried making your own rub?[p]use a few recipes as a guides, but vary the ingredients, substitute and experiment. ground coffee, cumin, more or less brown sugar, etc.[p]i taste it as i go, and try not to get too excited, nuthin worse than "oh maybe if i add cap'n crunch berries it'll be the best ever!"[p]but i do like to mix it up on the fly, with whatever is at hand. ...and somewhat close to the 'traditional' ingredients, but personalized[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    besides other DP rubs (raging river and/or tsunami spin. .. i reallylike ken stone's witchy red on ribs. ..

• Unknown
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, mix your own. This is a spice recipe I copied from Cooks, I believe. Anyway it's all I ever use on ribs since it is excellent.
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chile powder
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    1 tablespoon course salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamon
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon[p]I only use half of the cinnamon in the recipe since my spouse thinks 1 1/2 teaspoons is too much. This is enough for three whole racks of baby back ribs.[p]Good luck.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I made my own for years. It is a blend of various rub recipes.
    Dennis’s
    ‘Makes it Taste Good’
    Rub[p]3 Tbs. Hungarian Paprika
    2 Tbs. Cracked Black Pepper
    2 Tbs. Sea Salt
    2 Tbs. Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs. Onion Powder
    1 Tbs. Oregano
    1 Tsp. Thyme
    ½ Tsp. Coriander
    ½ Tsp. Cumin
    ½ Tsp. Allspice
    ½ Tsp. Sage
    ¼ Tsp. Ground Clove

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I think I cooked them once before. Witchy Red it will be, Raging River it will be. I have been getting 1/2 slabs, really nice for 1 or 2.[p]Mike

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    20063-drbbqbbrs2.jpg
    <p />Car Wash Mike,[p]Until last week, I had not tried dizzy dust and raging river on ribs. What a treat! I use them both for my last rib cook: one rack each flavor. I had mostly been using Dr. BBQ's Big Time Rub recipe for ribs. While I know Ray developed it for "regular" chili powders that can have other things in them, I use a blend of 100% pure chili powders: Ancho and New Mexico. The New Mexico powder yeilds a great color to the meat. (See above pic.)It's a great rub and I urge you to give it a try.[p]I see you do wet style ribs, what about trying a dry Memphis style as a chagnge? The BBQ Bible has a great recipe for a rub I use for those.
    [ul][li]Dr. BBQ's Big Time Rub[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    the only dp rub i havent tried on ribs is cowlick and the 2 new ones, the others have all been good(bet cowlick would be good too). i recently got a jar of juniper berries and cats recipe is what i want to try next

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wahooegger
    Wahooegger Posts: 95
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I'm a big fan of DP Red Eye Express.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Try using Dizzy Dust as a base, and mixing other rubs or indivudial spices, with it. 2/3 Dizzy Dust and 1/3 of either Jamaican Firewalk or Swamp Venom is really good on ribs.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Central Pork
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    One of my all-time favorite rubs is from a group practically in your own backyard. It is called "Smokin in the Dark". They have a few different rubs, and all I have tried have been very good. My personal favorite is the sweet and spicy. They are a competition team out of Springfield, MO.
    CP

• Unknown
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    What method did you use on those ribs?[p]Rob

• Unknown
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ ,
    What method did you use on the ribs?[p]Rob

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Pete,
    Not the most popular. I just rubbed them down, 1 hour before placing on the egg. I like, 225-250 temp. After the first hour and every hour mist with apple juice. Usually takes about 4-5 hours. Baste with sauce after that for the last 1/2 hour.[p]HTH[p]Mike

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    For ribs I have gone nutso over using Blues Hog Rub and then Blues Hog Sauce. One thing that really works for me is after the 24 hr setting time of the rub on the raw ribs I then sprinkle on kosker salt before coating the ribs with yellow mustard.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    They look great! Does the meat fall off the bone or does it take a tug? I am living in Japan and just got my eggs and want to do ribs Sat.[p]Rob

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Pete,
    They take a slight tug. Wrap in foil if you want fall off the bone.[p]Mike

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    Pete,[p]I followed DrBBQ's Championship Rib recipe from his first book and adjusted for BBRs. So, I cooked them, 250-260 grid, meat side up for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, turned for about another hour and put them meat side down in foil. Prior to adding the ribs, I added honey, brown sugar and a couple of "secret ingredients" upon which I placed the ribs. I closed the packet most of the way and added braising fluid about 1/2 way up the meat. (For a full rack, it'd be about 1/2 a cup.) In this case, it was a mix of fruit juices. [p]They were cooked in the foil until the toothpick test showed the tederness I wanted. I think it was about 30-45 minutes. The picture was right after removing from foil. I generally return them to the cooker for another 30 minutes or so to dry them out and re-crunch the bark. They were fall off the bone, yet not mushy.[p]Hope this helps. If you get his book and follow his recipe, you will end up with a fatastic rib that will taste very very close to the ones above.