Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Three little piggies...

Options
Morning All:

Labor Day cook was RIBS...picked up a 3-pack of baby-backs from Restaurant Depot and it was obvious these slabs came from three very different pigs...the bottom slab was the longest and very meaty, the middle one was very short with a minimal amount of meat, then the top one was "normal" for what I have usually seen from RD...

They went on one of the large Eggs just before 10:00am with dome temp about 200 & a some cherry chunks for smoke...just fit...

Over the next 5 hours dome temp rose to maybe 275...ready to come off just after 3:00pm...

I used three different rubs...L to R was DP Raging River, then DP Pineapple Head & finally DP Red Eye Express...the middle slab is much thicker than the other two...

Also grilled some corn on the cob (brushed with melted butter & DP Shaking the Tree)...

Added some potato salad & miscellaneous other items for a YUMMY feast!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• jbreed
    Options
    looks great! what was your favorite rub?  Mine is usually Red Eye for Ribs but I have not tried the others on ribs.
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning jbreed:

My favorite is Pineapple Head (that's why it was on the meatiest slab)...the Raging River was for our daughter-in-law (son, D-I-L & three grandsons were eating with us) and the Red Eye was for my much better half (one of her favorites).,,try to keep everyone happy!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    They look great, love the color for the Red Eye!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• EggMcMic
    Options
    Did you cook the corn on the BGE as well? Did you have it on with the ribs? Curious as to method and timing. Thanks, looks delish!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning EggMcMcc:

Corn was done on my other large Egg while the ribs were finishing...direct, raised grid dome temp probably 350 to 400 for total time of maybe 25 minutes...I usually let it go for about 10 minutes (turning once) then start brushing with butter/DP mixture for the next 15 minutes until I like the way it looks.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    So....no foil?
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great looking ribs.  I love using cherry for chicken and ribs.  Always gives a great mahogany color.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning AaronH:

That is correct...NO foil...just let them go for about 5 hours...delish!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning saluki2007:

Thanks...cherry is my favorite wood too...I always use it for the Thanksgiving bird!

PS -- Grew up in Southern Illinois & followed Saluki basketball (especially 1967 with Walt Frazier) and spent a little over a year at SIU-Edwardsville.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Pineapple head is great on pork, I like it on corn too. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • EggMcMic
    Options
    Thanks Jay. Guess I need a second egg...
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017