Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Im sure your smarter than me

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited September 2016 in EggHead Forum

Ive been looking at wood pellets for smoking. I also have a new pellet grill.

My question is this: Can home heating pellets be used for smoking?

I know that only hardwoods should be used for smoking. I also know that to only use 100% wood, no fillers or binders. Only the natural lignin to bind the pellets.

I have found a Canadian company that says all the above on their site and I have emailed them today but have yet to receive a response. Their pellets are $5.49 for 20 lbs where the "food grade " pellets are $20-25 for 20 lbs.

Why cant a guy use these pellets?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    be interesting to find out, alot of food pellet places cheat. traeger actually flavors pellets, what your buying is not what the label says it is ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hondabbq
    Options
    be interesting to find out, alot of food pellet places cheat. traeger actually flavors pellets, what your buying is not what the label says it is ;)

Maybe that is what drives the cost of the BBQ pellets is the single variety of species in the bags.

The ones I was speaking of just says hardwoods.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    cherry apple and pecan from traeger is 70 percent either alder or oak, so if the place your looking at is made from woods used for smoke like alder, oak, maple etc you can always sweeten it up with additional real pellets, mix and match. i do that anyways with chunks or chips. i think i would be more concerned the binder is food safe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hondabbq
    Options
    cherry apple and pecan from traeger is 70 percent either alder or oak, so if the place your looking at is made from woods used for smoke like alder, oak, maple etc you can always sweeten it up with additional real pellets, mix and match. i do that anyways with chunks or chips. i think i would be more concerned the binder is food safe
    They just use the lignin that is naturally occuring in the wood
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    The pellet mills around me use a mix of soft and hardwoods in their pellets. I cant remember the ratio but the majority is softwood. They do have a pellet BBQ right outside lunch room though??
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    I think even BBQ delight uses 60-70% oak.  I think the only place that is 100% is a few different types from lumberjack. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    I should add the hardwood locally is poplar or birch