Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too early to plan Thanksgiving menu?

Options
Is the ultimate menu out already?
I've got 12-15 to cook for and plan on doing almost everything on the eggs. 
2 turkeys, peach cobbler, apple and blueberry pies, cornbread stuffing in pans, small ham, baked sweet potatoes or casserole, and barley soup so far. I'm still short on some veggies. 

Bill   Denver, CO
XL, 2L's, and MM

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I want to see pics, and I want a plate. It is going to be good! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • BikerBob
    Options
    Plan on more if you keep this up.
    Cooking on the coast
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I originally used Thanksgiving as my excuse for getting the XL, so I gotta step up. Tired of trying to deep fry in the snow. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    do a pre tday cook, the gravy freezes well for a reheat. the madmax method on the naked whiz site is a good read if you havent done one yet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BilZol
    Options
    do a pre tday cook, the gravy freezes well for a reheat. the madmax method on the naked whiz site is a good read if you havent done one yet

I'll look it up. Thx. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I'll make a few quarts of cranberry sauce as soon as the berries are available. I'll also make a pot of stock for the stuffing and gravy and freeze it until just before T-Day.. 
  • BilZol
    Options
    Rascal said:
    I'll make a few quarts of cranberry sauce as soon as the berries are available. I'll also make a pot of stock for the stuffing and gravy and freeze it until just before T-Day.. 

The frozen stock we always have. Both moms live with us. I begin cutting up a chicken to cook and they break out the stockpot and veggies. 
    I wonder if I can make the cranberry sauce in a dutch oven on the Egg with smoking chunks???? Hmmmm, apple,  cherry,  peach chunks? A combo???
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hah !

I spent a few hours the other night looking at thanksgiving turkeys on the egg.  I haven't done one, so I am excited.

The bird in this video looks really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKNAkhKsMIA

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nothing wrong with creating an early game plan. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited September 2016
    Options
    With the other dishes you have going, maybe try Brussels Sprouts as one of the veggies your looking for. I know, I know, you hated them as a kid. Try this prep and you won't. after you clean and wash them,  slice them very very thin or grate them. The idea is to get a pile of greens that looks like slaw. Fry bacon, remove and crumble, reduce grease and caramelize some onion. Add salt and pepper, and minced garlic. Put the grated sprouts back into the pan with all the other ingredients and enough bacon grease to coat it well, although you want it moist not greasy. Add some golden raisins, toss and stir until is just starts to wilt. My wife requests this dish every Thanksgiving and absolutely hated Brussels Sprouts as a kid and before she tasted this prep. Not mine, I actually stole it from a restaurant where the chef, tried it as an experiment. It is now on the menu day in and out. Give it a try. Really nice earth taste that goes very well with Thanksgiving flavors. 
  • BilZol
    Options
    With the other dishes you have going, maybe try Brussels Sprouts as one of the veggies your looking for. I know, I know, you hated them as a kid. Try this prep and you won't. after you clean and wash them,  slice them very very thin or grate them. The idea is to get a pile of greens that looks like slaw. Fry bacon, remove and crumble, reduce grease and caramelize some onion. Add salt and pepper, and minced garlic. Put the grated sprouts back into the pan with all the other ingredients and enough bacon grease to coat it well, although you want it moist not greasy. Add some golden raisins, toss and stir until is just starts to wilt. My wife requests this dish every Thanksgiving and absolutely hated Brussels Sprouts as a kid and before she tasted this prep. Not mine, I actually stole it from a restaurant where the chef, tried it as an experiment. It is now on the menu day in and out. Give it a try. Really nice earth taste that goes very well with Thanksgiving flavors. 

We love brussels roasted. This sounds even better. I'm adding this to the menu this week or next. Gotta give it a trail run.  =)
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Now I want to cook a turkey.  :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    We do something very similar with green beans, not shredded and no raisins, but the rest is almost identical.  Mmmm, bacon grease.  I'll bet broken pecans or filberts/hazelnuts would be good in there too.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    I was gonna say something snide, but now I'm all hungry for turkey and added thanksgiving 2016 to my OneNote to start planning!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I hate folks like you. No offense but I suck at planning. All my crap is all thrown together.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    What? Change it up?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BilZol
    Options
    I hate folks like you. No offense but I suck at planning. All my crap is all thrown together.  

Heck, I took the whole week off to get everything ready. It's my favorite holiday. Dad used to even make a menu up beforehand. I guess I get it from him. Glad I still have my mom to steer me straight. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    I was gonna say something snide, but now I'm all hungry for turkey and added thanksgiving 2016 to my OneNote to start planning!
    I've been thinking about it since last thanksgiving when I was trying to deep fry turkeys in the snow. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM