Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

advice on first pizza

Got a new XL bge in June. Am new to this and would like to do a pizza. Any advice as to setup, temp, etc. Do I have to pre-cook meat or vegetables? How long do you cook it? Raised grill?  Am also interested in trying beef shish kabobs. Any sugestions?

Comments

• Pizza:  Setup indirect.  I go with legs down on the platesetter, but it can get very hot this way.  Raise your grid if possible, pizza stone on the grid.  I preheat my stone for a good 30 minutes or so, temp usually around 600.  Personally, I lay out a piece of parchment paper, and then put my dough on that.  This makes it very easy to slide off the pizza peel when placing it on the stone.  I would leave the parchment paper on the stone only for a few minutes, then you should be able to slide it right out from under the pizza.  That way you can finish your cook while the pizza crust gets nice and crispy.

I never pre-cook meat or veggies.  No need to in my opinion. Keep an eye on the bottom of your dough, make sure it doesn't scorch.  I never need more that 6 to 8 minutes at this temp, should come out just right.  With toppings, don't overdo it.  Sometimes less is more.  Good luck.

• Do you use store bought crusts or real pizza dough ?
  • I only use store bought, the brand I get is from Publix.  Simple, easy, and good.  I let the ball of dough sit out on the counter for a couple of hours covered with a clean dish towel before I start preparing it.
  • Thank you. I'll try it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Keep in mind that the ideal cook time and temp is dependent on the thickness of your pie.  Chicago deep dish is cooked at 350 for 30+ minutes.  Some really thin pizzas are cooked at 900 for 2 minutes.

I've found that for the pies I make, 450-500 for about 8 minutes is the sweet spot.  You may have a few pies not turn out as good as you like as you figure this out.  That's OK.  It's part of the journey. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Plan on cooking at least two, better to start out with multiple smaller pies to get comfortable with the process than bet it all on one large pie
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Best advice I can give is don't overdue the amount of toppings....less is more when it comes to a perfectly cooked pizza imho