Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket - BGE XL from CGS

Options
I have been looking at these, going back and forth on getting 2, one for my XL and one for my MM.  

Questions I have,

If you have had one for a while, how do they hold up?

How thick is it ? is the material thick enough?

Thanks
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    They are now using a thicker material than they originally started with. I just got one for my XL a few days ago. It's a beast...can't imagine it not lasting MANY years...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I have one for my Lg egg, had it about two years now. I've done a ton of cooks AND two 800 degree clean burns, no problems whatsoever. 

It's still in tip top condition.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Very well built....... I have 4 one in each of my LG and one in the Mini Max and small. Well worth the money.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JacksDad
    Options

I've only had my KAB for a few months but I love it. It's really built like a tank, it feels amazingly solid. And it makes cleanups and setting up for the next cook so much easier...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Big fan here as well.  The Kick Ash Basket and Smokeware cap are two things that are automatics for me.

Phoenix 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Got one in MM and medium. Very well made. Makes the whole process cleaner and quicker. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thinking I may need to upgrade my large KAB. I have the older thin style. I take it out for high heat cooks but kind of a pain.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Thinking I may need to upgrade my large KAB. I have the older thin style. I take it out for high heat cooks but kind of a pain.

Just sent ya a private message. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You don't need one for the XL. Save your money and buy a SRF brisket instead. 
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Why do you say that?  I have been thinking of buying one for my XL so would like to hear the reasoning.  Thx.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    With the XL don't you just throw in a 20 lb. bag and just light the bag?  =)
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    edited September 2016
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Uh....in a word...no..  The amount of charcoal depends on the duration of the cook.  If I am cooking a brisket, I will load it up.  A burger, not so much.   =)
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    yljkt said:

When doing burgers and such just for the two of us and sometimes up to 6, I rarely need to light more than a full Weber chimney. 
  • gilesmoe
    Options
    have one for my Large. I love it saves alot of time in clean up. well worth the money that i spent on it would buy it again.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Why do you say that?  I have been thinking of buying one for my XL so would like to hear the reasoning.  Thx.
    The fire grate is so large on the XL that airflow isn't an issue in my opinion. Also, the XL doesn't require ash clean out nearly as often. I have one on my medium for the sole reason that the fire grate was getting knocked around by the ash tool because it is so small. That isn't happening on the XL. The XL is perfect for stir and light. One more thing, if you are going to shake into a metal trashcan, you'll have to contend with a large can. (Storage space etc) 
  • coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aren't they cheaper at Firecraft.com?  They may not have the XL but the Large is $15 cheaper.