Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sold the stick burner... Mini Max time?

Options
bhedges1987
bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
edited September 2016 in EggHead Forum
So I sold my stick burner very quick.  Two days on Craigslist is all it took.  Now.... I need to add something new to the arsenal.  I have been eyeing a MM for quite some time.

How does everyone like theirs?  I have seen good and bad reviews on here.

I was hoping, I could just take my KAB with used lump in my large after low and slows and dump it in the MM for quick dinners at night like burgers, chicken, wok, ect.

I have seen a lot of people say they have trouble getting their MM up to temps with even with new coal at that.  So not sure my plan would work.  

Either way, there's a high probability I will be getting one.  Just needing a little nudge, and hopefully some positive reviews from users on here.

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Congrats on the sale- I'm sure it was bitter-sweet but like Leroy Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gainin on ya."
    No mini-max here, but I do feed the SBGE the lump left-overs from my LBGE all the time.  There are around 4-5 times a year when I will call upon the SBGE  for a low&slow-that's when it get's a fresh load of lump and a serious clean-out.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options

I was hoping, I could just take my KAB with used lump in my large after low and slows and dump it in the MM for quick dinners at night like burgers, chicken, wok, ect.

I use mine exactly for this. I have the woo for the wok and to raise the grate. I don't have a stone for indirect cooks. I have no frouble achieving temps on mine - it comes to temp faster than the large. I love it for my woks. When it's just my wife and me mid week we cook a lot of chicken on it - easy peasy quick and easy. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CharleyR
    Options
    While I haven't tried your lighting method, I've never had much trouble getting my MM to light.  I do sometimes leave the Daisey wheel off to maintain temps in the 300-350 range, but other than that I've had nothing but successful smokes with it. Oh, I should add that I use the High Q charcoal grate that I once used for my LBGE. I don't need it there anymore since I got my KAB.  Good luck...I think you'll enjoy the MM.  
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited September 2016
    Options
    To get the mm hot on a direct cook is just a matter of leaving the dome up until you have a good fire. If you want indirect hot cooks, be patient. I have the CGS woo/stone combo(highly reccomend) so can't speak to stock PS, but indirect takes time to get hit. 

Edit: also have highQ grate
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A very happy MM owner here. Added to the lineup last December. Perfect for my wife and I week cooks. Pull the trigger.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • rockymountaineggster
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have a large and mm and use the mm 2 to 3 times  a week. It's great for week night meals and I've had no trouble getting it to temp. The woo adds a lot of versatility allowing the grate to sit low for searing or high for raised direct. I've used the stone a handful of times and as stated by @theyolksonyou it does take longer than my large to get to temp when doing indirect. No problem for me though as I use the large for doing the indirect low and slows for the most part.  Plenty big though for the wife and i.
    Parker, Colorado
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have sealed my fate that the XL is the only Egg I will ever own. That happened when I selfishly fired up the XL for a single hot dog.  When the thought of a MM or <other> comes up, I get reminded I can do anything I need to do on the XL. Siiigghhhhhh..  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Curious as to why you sold it? I think a stick ( and other slow cookers) are great to mix it up on...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TrailRunner
    Options
    I have a MM, L and XL. I haven't assembled the XL(still in box). I use the large most but that's when I do everything on it meat and veggies. The MM is for travel or just if doing meat outside and veggies indoors. I let my friend borrow the MM to take for opening day of football season. He cooked a butt on it and said it was a breeze and had lump left when done. I love the MM for small meals. Here's your nudge to get it. Get it!!!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I have two larges, one small/nest, one mini max/large nest that it sets in and a mini. I won the mini max and had the small when I won the MM, I like using a nest because I can roll it around on my deck. After having a small and mini max I like the small/nest more, it has more lump capacity than the MM with the same cooking grid footprint. The down side to the MM is it is heavy as hell for one person to move, much easier for two people, doesn't have a nest with wheels, must have some kind of a table to put it on or set it on the ground, usually cost about the same as a small/nest. No way would I ever pay what a mini max cost, one for free yes. A mini max will fit nicely in a large nest. What all the others have said is true.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @bhedges1987 .. hey brother, I see you just sold your stick burner, assuming it's the Lang? I'm actually looking to buy a Lang (directly from them) .. any advice you could give me on this purchase would be really appreciated. Thanks - Tim 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A very happy MM owner here. Added to the lineup last December. Perfect for my wife and I week cooks. Pull the trigger.
    Agree, we own a large and added a MM for weekly and even some weekend cooks. Just myself and SWMBO though, no children. Just three very large cats. I find it ok to move with everything out of it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    We use our MM a lot. Love doing two meatloves at a time in it, also cook pies in it.  I didn't think we would use it that much but it's been a hit. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Can I ask why you sold the stick burner?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Love, love, love my MM. Enough said.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Can I ask why you sold the stick burner?
    I just didn't have time for it. Especially with a little one on the way :( it put out some killer food though. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @bhedges1987 - are you going to travel with it? How many do you cook for?  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited September 2016
    Options

SoCalTim said:
    @bhedges1987 .. hey brother, I see you just sold your stick burner, assuming it's the Lang? I'm actually looking to buy a Lang (directly from them) .. any advice you could give me on this purchase would be really appreciated. Thanks - Tim 
    Sure. Any specific questions? I would probably spend the extra couple hundred and get the attached grill. Think it's the extended edition or whatever. 

I didnt think I would need it, however there were a few times I would have liked to grill some burgers while I was smoking, or would have liked to put my ribs on it to get some char after smoking.  Obviously I could have done this on my egg. It would have just made it easier. 

The thing is a tank.  Put out amazing food. Wish I could have used it more.  It doesn't help living in KC. I get about 3 good months of weather a year then it's either hell, or hell frozen over for the other 9 months. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• bhedges1987
    Options
    @bhedges1987 - are you going to travel with it? How many do you cook for?  
    Oh it will be going camping with me once a year maybe twice.  I just cook for 2. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited September 2016
    Options
     I have a L,S & mini. I cook for the 2 of us most of the time.  That said the mini is my most used egg with the small being second.  The large is seeing more action with the addition of the woo extender when I want to cook a whole meal on the egg.  
     I take the mini on vaca about 3 times a year.  Last vaca I cooked for 6 on the mini.  No problem.  Before the mini was added the small went where we went. I have no problems loading it by myself and in its nest it's a very comfortable cooker. I've never used a MM so no slam against it. Just giving you my real life experiences.  

edit - the mini is a fire breathing dragon right out the box. It's crazy hot with a HighQue grate.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options

SoCalTim said:
    Sure. Any specific questions? I would probably spend the extra couple hundred and get the attached grill. Think it's the extended edition or whatever. 

I didnt think I would need it, however there were a few times I would have liked to grill some burgers while I was smoking, or would have liked to put my ribs on it to get some char after smoking.  Obviously I could have done this on my egg. It would have just made it easier. 

The thing is a tank.  Put out amazing food. Wish I could have used it more.  It doesn't help living in KC. I get about 3 good months of weather a year then it's either hell, or hell frozen over for the other 9 months. 
    I'm actually looking at the version with the warming box. So glad to know you were very satisfied with the quality of the Lang, I really want one, the only possible 'deal breaker' is the $600 dollar quote for shipping. That's just a lot of money.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

SoCalTim said:

I'm actually looking at the version with the warming box. So glad to know you were very satisfied with the quality of the Lang, I really want one, the only possible 'deal breaker' is the $600 dollar quote for shipping. That's just a lot of money.
    Yeah I debated the warming box. I just didn't think I could find a use for it. I can FTC if I wanted.  Either way you will be happy.  The smell of the real wood fire using cherry or the food drippings hitting the griddle mmmmm. But ya the quality is extremely top notch. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @bhedges1987 - appreciate your comments above, I think  ;)  The noose tightens as I have a couple of low hurdles to clear and then I will pull the trigger.  I figured that smoker wouldn't last long in KC.  Glad it all worked out for you.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @bhedges1987 - appreciate your comments above, I think  ;)  The noose tightens as I have a couple of low hurdles to clear and then I will pull the trigger.  I figured that smoker wouldn't last long in KC.  Glad it all worked out for you.  
    Thanks ;) and you were right. It went quickly. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    So I sold my stick burner 
    The Thunder Gods will not be pleased with this. I'm sure that they are looking down upon you with vengeful eyes my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bhedges1987
    Options
    SGH said:
    So I sold my stick burner 
    The Thunder Gods will not be pleased with this. I'm sure that they are looking down upon you with vengeful eyes my friend.  
    Thor has had no complaints as of yet. Zero lighting or thunder since I sold it. Legend has it that if he is upset he pounds his hammer which causes thunder. 

As of now I am in the clear! 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Minimax has added a lot more happiness to my world than i can describe....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2016
    Options
    As of now I am in the clear! 
    For now my friend. Sometimes their wrath is delayed. 
    On a serious note, why did you sell the smoke wagon? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
     I have a L,S & mini. I cook for the 2 of us most of the time.  That said the mini is my most used egg with the small being second.  The large is seeing more action with the addition of the woo extender when I want to cook a whole meal on the egg.  
     I take the mini on vaca about 3 times a year.  Last vaca I cooked for 6 on the mini.  No problem.  Before the mini was added the small went where we went. I have no problems loading it by myself and in its nest it's a very comfortable cooker. I've never used a MM so no slam against it. Just giving you my real life experiences.  

edit - the mini is a fire breathing dragon right out the box. It's crazy hot with a HighQue grate.  
    Totally agree the mini is a great egg and the small nest combo is great and just the same compared to moving a mini max for travel. Small holds a lot more lump and needs less cleaning.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options

I have a large, a small, and a mini max. I use my MM all the time. It will get as a hot as I need it to get and doesn't take long to get there. I have the BGE plates setter and recently bought the woo and round stone from CGS. I would definitely recommend that over the BGE plate setter. I also bought a 14" wok that I have enjoyed using on the MM a lot. Very versatile!