Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bluefish

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any thoughts on cooking a bluefish filet?
skin on, fresh caught the other day. had to freeze it unfortunately....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    stike,
    Blues are an oily fish as I remember correctly. If that is the case and it has been a few years since I caught any here is a great Japanese recipe. Now don't laugh but I use to buy this dish at a japanese resturant in a bowling alley in San Diego. With the fish thawed heat your egg to 500 degrees and stablize at that temp. By the way they used it on Mackrel but it is still to die for. Cover both sides of the fillet with a light coat of oil and apply a heavy sprinkling of kosher salt. Slap in on the grill skin side down for 3 minutes carefully flip and close lide for another 6 minutes. Sever immediately with green salad and squeeze a wedge of lemon on. Damn it makes me want to get in car and drive down there to see if they still make it.
    Elder Ward

• Unknown
    Options
    I caught a lot of blues up off Cape Cod. Great fighting fish, but not my favorite to eat....at least not when fried or barbecued....

My favorite way was to plank smoke it skin side down over mild wood like apple. Because it was oily, you can't really dry it out too badly. I think we served it with crackers with a brown mustard & mayo sauce. That was my favorite way to do bluefish. Dickson
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    stike,
    Been on a few striper charters, all we ever get is blues and green bonita, both nasty, oily fish. I throw a little salt and pepper on em with a little bit of rub and smoke real low, about 180 dome, skin down direct on a raised grid for about 5 hours. Once the oil is rendered out, the fish is very tasty indeed.
    I usually end up with the whole catch cause nobody else wants anything to do with em, so they end up as sandwiches for a couple of days. Excellent on potato bread with some Miracle Whip, dijon and double Gloucester cheddar.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• stike
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    hahaha
    thank you much, sir. i have another filet left, and plan to go fishing again thursday, so i'm sure i'll be trying this.[p]in the end, i did a quick-ish skin-on-the-grid cook at about 500 when it went on, shut down to about 375.[p]doused one end in raging river rub, the other in tsunami spin (both dizzy pig rubs). [p]was wonderful. ate the whole filet (from a 32" blue the guy standing next to me caught).[p]must, say, also. this skinny pale yankee is indebted to you for the sage wisdom of the 'Elder Ward' method of doing pork butt. I went from literally never having had (good) pulled pork to being seen (among family and friends anyway!) as some sort of guru.[p]i remember pulling my first PP off the egg (done following your rosetta stone to the letter), and i turned to a friend and said "izzat what it is supposed to look like?" and he only murmured droolingly, "oh yeah. yep mmmm hmmmm... THAT is pulled pork"[p]thanks for the wisdom. good to see you around. [p]j stike(man)

• stike
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    yep
    we were fishing stripers. hahaha[p]i caught 9 too-small bass, a sandshark, multiple skates.[p]said to the guy next to me "i keep getting a strike the moment the bait hits the water. do stripers do that?"[p]he casted, got a strike, reeled in a 32" blue and said "no. but blues will"[p]told him it was my fish, so he gave it to me. (nah, no one wanted it).[p]frankly, i think it's a great filet. you can't beat fresh fish. ain't too oily. and tho there are folks saying it tastes 'fishy' well, i wonder what a fish is supposed to taste like if not fishy.[p]thanks for the recipe. as i expect a few more blues in the future, i hope to try it.

• Elder Ward
    Options
    stike,
    Thank you sir your a gentleman.
    Well at least a pit master B^)).
    EW

• stike
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    i am neither, my friend. though i might wish for both.

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    EW, [p]ditto from me on the Pulled Pork instructions. I've made probably 100 butts in the two years plus that I've been egging, and your method is my mainstay and the way I've told everyone that I've convinced to get an egg to cook theirs, and everyone says the same two words: [p]"wow!" and "thanks!"[p]My hat's off to you sir.
  • Elder Ward
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    Many thanks
    EW