Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip - Educate a dumb Canadian

John
John Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gang - Tri-tip is something I have tried in the good ole USA on business - When I talk to some Butcher's here in Canada - They look at me if I am from the freakin Moon .. So:[p]What is Tri-tip ??? Any sites that will explain it and I can pass it on to Ottawa Butchers !![p]What is the best way to cook it on the EGG ?? I checked sevral site sout and not many ideas..[p]Anyone here in the forum from Ottawa Ontario ..have you found a place where you can get Tri_tip ??[p]Thanks gang ..off to cook 2 Strip Lions[p]As they say[p]"Salad is what FOOD eats"[p]Merci buckets[p]John

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    John,[p]Here ya go man, click the link then go the the BEEF section of my cookin' site.....Maybe you can print out one of the pictures and take it to the meat market. LOL[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    John,[p]I have heard that in most parts of the US they acutally grind it up for hamburger as well.... Which is a real shame.
  • Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    John,
    It is the tip of a whole sirlonin (sp) you cut off the pointed end about 3-5 pounds. That is a tri tip. [p]original recipe and still hard to beat and should be tried once. Rub with salt black pepper and galic powder. cook at high heat around 400 degrees when the juice puddles on top flip it when it puddles on top flip it again and continue doing this until liquid on top is clear. Traditionally servered with
    santa maria beans ( a minitue version of pintos)
    Salsa and garlic bread cooked on the grill.
    Originaly open pit over California Red oak.
    That is the truth.
    Elder Ward

• John
    Elder Ward,[p]Thanks to everyone - so its direct heat for Tri-tip as mentioned - for a 4 or 5 lbs Tri-tip - roughly how long to cook ??[p]
    Thanks again eh !![p]John

• John
    thirdeye,[p]I swear ...I get blank looks when I ask for it ..even a buddy (whom I have fowared the info who is a head butcher at a big local food market) thought I was crazy .. but will know now ..thanks agin for the tips on the beef/pork ribs ... hey I found out that Dizzy Pig is sold in Ottawa - never tried it ..what do you guys recommend if any[p]Thanks eh[p]John

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Elder Ward,[p]I worked in Santa Maria for a couple of years and want to give it a try on the egg. I actually brought my Santa Maria style BBQ pit to Louisiana with me, but it rusted out many years ago. I guess keeping a constant temp on the egg duplicates lowering of the grill on the Santa Maria style pit as the coals burned down. Not much chance of getting real California red oak down here tho. We finally got a real butcher shop here that will custom cut meat. The grocer told me I was the first person in 20 years here to ask for a tri-tip.

• BOBF,
    Elder-- I lived at Lompoc for several years and like you got used to that good tri-tip cooked on red oak fire. I have asked for tri-tip a number of times but allways get a blank look and huh???. Good to hear from a central coaster. Bucky

• John,
    You ask, what Dizzy pig is recommended - my answer is ALL OF THEM. They are all great with. Nothing better that a hamburger with Cow Lick. Paul (also in Ottawa)

• BOBF
    Bucky Buckshot[p]I was only in Santa Maria for a couple of years (1978 - 1980), but traveled back on business for another 5 years. We actually lived up on the Nipomo mesa and I worked in Santa Maria. I remember the Hitching Post over in Casmalia and there was one other old famous restaurant I forget the name of. Good times. The Firestone Vineyard was just opening down near Cat Canyon and they were really nice to visitors - of course they didn't have many at the time. I may just order some of their beans and try my hand at a tri-tip since I got a real butcher in town now.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    John,[p]Good luck with the tri-tip. It's a good idea to take some samples into your butcher from time to time, like a rack of ribs or some fatties. It will let him know you are a serious cook and will sure help build your relationship.[p]All of the DP products are top notch. I have made my own rubs for many years and they are one of the few rubs that I will purchase to have in my arsenal. A couple of them I mix together to dial in a flavor profile. You might as well get the sampler pack, I can't pick a favorite.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Elder Ward
    BOBF,
    I just leave the vent off the top of the egg when I do it and look down the chimney to see if the juice is floating. Controll the temp from the bottom.[p]Never will for get the first time I order BBQ here. Well it never occured to me that might not cook like back home. When they brought it out I said what is this? didn't you order BBQ? yeah. Well here it is. To be honest I was not happy about it the first time. Not that it was bad but just not what I was expecting. Now I love it. [p]There weird ass thing that took me forever to get use to was seeing the words Berrys for sell and they was always strawberries. Hugh delicious but strawberries. I kept thinking that maybe the next road side stand would surely have some black berries or blue berries. Now you can get those out here but I think Cocain and herion (sp) you know drugs, might be cheaper. ;).[p]Elder Ward

• Elder Ward
    Bucky Buckshot,
    Where you at now?
    EW

• Elder Ward
    John,
    I really do not know on the open pits they start about 9 am and serve about noon. But again the real method is to keep fliping the meat every time it puddles juice on the top and it will puddle on top, until the bloody juice comes up clear. Now like any other meat when you pull it off the fire to eat let it sit for 15 minmutes for the juices to be absorbeed. Then slice it thin on the bias and serve several layers on the garlic bread as a sandwich or on the plate with beans and salsa.
    EW

• Brayon
    Brayon Posts: 24
    Where have you found DP in Ottawa? Also, do you have any good butcher addresses to find brisket or shoulder butts, I just can't find a good place that would carry them.
  • BOBF
    Elder Ward,[p]My first culture shock came from ordering a chile burger and getting a hamburger with chili on it. I came out to California from New Mexico where a chile burger has green chiles on it. The ones with the soup on them were called Oklahoma style chili burgers. That is also the only place I have ever lived that served coffee at the beginning of every meal. I remember a pick your own place up near Nipomo that had Sequoia strawberries. They were huge and delicious, but would not travel. You had to get them home in an hour or so at the most. Your method for the tri-tips sounds good and I am going to pick up one today. My butcher offered T-bones at $4.99/lb if I buy the whole rack - about 30#. The quality is excellent also. Otherwise $8.99/lb. I think we will have some T-bones.

• John
    Brayon,
    Sasloves carries DP rubs ..I was able to get good Brisket from the Stittsville Meat Market and I was told you can also get it from the Butchery in Bells Corners[p]John