Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dizzy pig rubs have no salt?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i ordered the sampler from dizzy pig. i used raging river this past weekend. the meat came out good except i think it needed some salt and pepper. do these rubs not have salt in them? or is it just this particular one?
thanks

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    luis,
    I agree with you on the salt. DP is a quality spice and it's not made up mainly of salt. Most over the counter spices have so much salt that you can not give it a good spice bite without making it tast like a salt lick. Salt can be added to tast. I'm happy that DP does not make us pay good money for seasoning salt, rather a great rub.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    luis,[p]Yes, raging river has salt. I just looked at one of my bottles and it’s the 3rd listed ingredient. As long as you have some salt to get the flavor development started, you can add more at the table to your taste. Of course, you can never take it out.[p]BTW, if you add 1tsp of Raging River to about 1/3 Cup of cream cheese, it makes ABT’s taste even better! Try it!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    luis,
    Try some on your finger. You should be able to taste the salt. If you are accustomed to seasoning salts (like Lawreys) which use 3 times as much salt as we do, you'll find that our rubs are designed to use a heavier coating. This will be your crust when you are done cooking. [p]If you find you are getting enough flavor from the spices, and not enough salt, then by all means add salt. If you think it needed pepper AND salt, then you should probably just use more rub. You'll get a good feel for the rubs after cooking with them a few times.[p]What were you cooking?? Any more questions, feel free to give me or Andy a shout. Happy cookin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I gotta say, that's what I really love about your rubs. You can really coat them on there thick, and not have an overwhelming taste of salt.
    Maybe that's why I go through them so quick!

• Unknown
    Options
    thanks for the responses guys. actually i think i may not have used enough rub. i cooked a beer can chicken and used about half of one sample pack.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    ChickWIthRub.jpg
    <p />Howdy Luis,
    Sounds like you are right....you used less than 2 tsp where 2 tbsp would be more like it for a whole bird. This picture might help....this is how much rub I put on chicken thighs. Since we don't oversalt the rubs, you can simply apply as much as you need for your desired "spice" flavor, then fill in with salt if you aren't getting enough for your tastes. I never add salt, but everyone has a different tolerance.[p]Happy cookin, and thanks for giving the rubs a try!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • EGGlomaniac
    Options
    luis,

i really have to try dizzy pig rubs (I WILL!!!). i started grinding up my own rubs because all the supermarket "rubs" use WAY too much salt. i did this on a slab of ribs and they came out like a "salt lick" because of the rub. never again. i always assumed it was because salt was cheaper to add in bulk. i'm sure nature boy can expand on this.