Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGW Two-Tier Adj. Rack

Options
Finally got the rest of my set-up from Ceramic Grill Works after they forgot to include the shaft, collar and tool (got a bottle of rub from Franco to make up for it). Can't wait to try it. A couple of questions...

Any "seasoning" needed? Or just a short burn to remove the oils?

And on the bottom plate, where the shaft goes in, do you turn the allen screw in so the shaft sits on top of the screw, or do you lower the shaft more and "bore" the screw in to the side of the shaft?

Craig aka Cmac Cooks
Amesbury, MA
#BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    I have one of the few CGW prototypes with the shaft arrangement at the outer reaches of the lower grid.  That said, I never used a locking screw on the lower shaft.  My set-up, the shaft was anchored at the top shaft and I used the shaft height adjuster to establish the space between the two grids.  The pieces are well-machined with tight tolerances.  Gotta keep the shaft clean (TWSS) ;)
    Regarding seasoning, I followed whatever guidance CGW provided.  FWIW- (Acquired 5 years ago).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 153
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Regarding seasoning, I followed whatever guidance CGW provided.  FWIW- (Acquired 5 years ago).
    Thanks @lousubcap but I got no guidance. Was lucky enough to get the rest of my order!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • lousubcap
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Given your situation, I would burn off the oil and season like a piece of CI, (Edit:) although upon further review, I know it did not take nearly the repeat applications as a CI seasoning would require - wish I could provide more help. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'm not trying to spread rumors by saying this, but I could have sworn there was a thread about this guy closing the doors.  Is he back up and running, or did he never close the doors.

btw, it's good to see he took care of you

Phoenix 
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    My XL swing rack warped badly to the point of it no longer being useable.  After many emails, calls, and promises from Franco to make it right- nothing.  Too bad, as I really liked the swing rack. Spent my money with Ceramic Grill Store for an adjustinle rack and couldn't be happier with the product or customer service.
    XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @blasting -  your recollection is right.  I gather the "new" operation is quite lean I don't know any more than I have acquired here.  And given the way they hosed paid customers for incoming customers...
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    blasting said:

I'm not trying to spread rumors by saying this, but I could have sworn there was a thread about this guy closing the doors.  Is he back up and running, or did he never close the doors.

btw, it's good to see he took care of you

You were right. His reputation is terrible. Fwiw I've got one as well, although second hand, but don't care for it. Just don't like the way food cooks on it. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 153
    Options
    Unfortunately, sounds right on. My wife actually ordered it for my for our anniversary. When I opened it, there was only the two grills, but obviously missing the shaft, collar and tool. Called and left a message that was quickly returned by Franco. It was over the weekend and he apologized and said that he'd get the rest out first thing Monday morning. After another week, I called left a message. No return. My wife called a few days later and left another message. No return. It wasn't until I emailed him and said that if he didn't respond and fulfill the missing parts that I'd have to "escalate". He finally responded to the email like it was the first time he'd heard about it?!?  Anyway, the whole ordeal took about 3 weeks and I'm thinking that I'm pretty lucky after some of the responses. Thanks all for your feedback. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Yeah, a whole bunch of people got the "shaft" from this guy, and I was under the impression that his operation went tits up. You're lucky to have got all the parts you needed to complete your setup. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I must've lucked out - got mine (large) all as expected and use it every cook for years now. Love it. And Franco has emailed me and been very professional. Hope the new system works better for you guys and him...

i did did a quick burn on it and got cooking greasy butts right away - that's all the seasoning I do.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have that system in my small and I love it.  I feel I'm pretty lucky it worked out for me with the stories I've read on the forum here.
    Flint, Michigan