Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight butt

Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I'm cooking for 8 adults and 2 kids this coming weekend and I'm thinking a pork butt would be killer. What would be a good size for that amount of people? They'd like to eat around 5pm so would an overnight cook and a foil and throw in cooler be the way to go?

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    I generally cook at least 1 lb per adult, but my family are pigs. It's okay to do (way) too much, as pulled pork makes awesome follow up meals. 

I would buy the best looking big chunk and throw it on at 7 pm at 250 - 275F and cook it 'til its done.  It will FTC for several hours and only get better. 

Hope that helps. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Powak
    20stone said:
    I generally cook at least 1 lb per adult, but my family are pigs. It's okay to do (way) too much, as pulled pork makes awesome follow up meals. 

I would buy the best looking big chunk and throw it on at 7 pm at 250 - 275F and cook it 'til its done.  It will FTC for several hours and only get better. 

Hope that helps. 
    That sounds good. I'm a mega pig when it comes to eating bbq so I'll probably follow that 1#/pp formula. What's FTC?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    1/2 lb per eater.  Just get a standard 8 lb butt.  Get up early and tee it up at 0600.  Go turbo at 350 and you can FTC and serve at your leisure.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    They come in packs of 2 at costco!  Cook em both.  Save what you don't eat.  Then you know you will have more than enough.  Packs of 2 at my costco at like $26.00

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    And yeah, I would start it at 10-12 the night before.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    With pulled pork you always want leftovers. I can safely say I've never done one (or two) that I felt was too large. Either way, good luck. I'm sure it will be great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Powak said:
    That sounds good. I'm a mega pig when it comes to eating bbq so I'll probably follow that 1#/pp formula. What's FTC?
    Wrap in foil, wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    XC242 said:
    Powak said:
    Wrap in foil, wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler. 
    Or the oven on hold. (No towel, but put a pan under it)
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Just go with the @Mickey turbo method and you'll be all set.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    TURBO BUTTS

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 (+ or -) hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 
    then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil on the Egg. Also good with the coffee rub. 
    FTC afterwards.   

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Powak
    Mickey said:
    TURBO BUTTS

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 (+ or -) hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 
    then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil on the Egg. Also good with the coffee rub. 
    FTC afterwards.   

Man that sounds awesome! Is the smoking process the same for turbo mode? I've been going heavy on the front end of the smoke with the wood on top of the fire and then just lump coal beneath and turning out plenty smoky meat.
  • I do pork butts for work holiday Christmas parties, 2 at a time for 4 different parties. Used to do ~17 hours overnight with the DigiQ and it was really good. However, the turbo butt as described above is the way to go. Much easier, just as good. Will never go back. Make sure you go to >200. I go to 205 and the foil, towel, cooler in the Yeti and it will keep for at least 8 hours and still be piping hot when opened and pulled. The smell when opening the cooler is good stuff.
  • Powak
    I do pork butts for work holiday Christmas parties, 2 at a time for 4 different parties. Used to do ~17 hours overnight with the DigiQ and it was really good. However, the turbo butt as described above is the way to go. Much easier, just as good. Will never go back. Make sure you go to >200. I go to 205 and the foil, towel, cooler in the Yeti and it will keep for at least 8 hours and still be piping hot when opened and pulled. The smell when opening the cooler is good stuff.
    I'm feeding 8 adults and 3 kids so could I turbo a 10 pounder or does it work much better to get like two 5 pounders?
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited August 2016
    If you want 10 lbs, buy whatever is cheaper.  If it's 1 piece of meat,  cut it in half.  They will finish at different times, but you are turbo-I G so shouldn't be a large variance.  Make sure the two pieces of meat are NOT touching.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • It's been a couple of weeks since I had overnight butt.