Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broasted chicken...How I do it (lotsa pics)

I use a Wear-Ever chicken broaster. I know some people say they are unsafe but my dad used one growing up and now I use one. Neither of us have had any problems, only awesome food! Broasted chops, chicken, potatoes, veggies, you name it!

I let some chicken legs soak in milk all day and when I got home from work, I mixed up some flour with some seasonings. I put the flour mixture in a gallon ziplock and toss the legs in there. Shake up real good to get a good coat. 

I here a lot lot of people say they can't get the breading to stick to the chicken-that it always comes off while frying. Here's the trick that works for me. When you pull it out of the bag, set the chicken on a plate and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. The moisture in the chicken will make the flour wet and stick to it better. IMO if you put it straight into the oil with dry flour, the dry flour comes right off and you end up with a very minimal coating. You can see in the pictures the chicken right after getting tossed, and again after sitting for about 12 minutes. 

Once the coating gets tacky, I add to the oil and fry for 3 minutes. After the three minutes, the lid gets put on and screwed down and the pressure fryin begins. I let it go for 13 minutes and it's done! 

Tonite I thought some broasted potatoes sounded good. They are to die for! I cut them into wedges, tossed in milk, then into the flour mixture and let them sit until tacky. Fried for 5 minutes then put the lid on and broasted them for 6 minutes. 

Enjoy the pictures!

NW IOWA

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Oh, and here's a picture of the cooker. It cooks at about 5-6 psi. 
    NW IOWA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Wow!  When I was a kid we got chicken from a broasted chicken carryout place.  i thought it stood for 'baked/roasted.' no idea it was pressure fried... no wonder it was so good!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Love broasted chicken. I get it from a bar near where I grew up, the Golden Plaza in Brlle Valley, Ohio. Here are some pics from their FB page; a pic of the broaster and a plate of broasted chicken and broasted potatoes. 

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Philly35
    It is a low pressure cooker. Do NOT attempt this in your pressure cooker. Keep your eyes peeled at second hands stores to find one. That's how I found mine as they do not make these anymore. 
    NW IOWA
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Wait a minute ... isn't that the explosive chicken cooker that is going to kill us all simply because we viewed this thread?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
    500 Posts: 3,177
    @Philly35 I forgot to say your chicken looks tasty. Well done
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Philly35
    edited August 2016
    Hub said:
    Wait a minute ... isn't that the explosive chicken cooker that is going to kill us all simply because we viewed this thread?
    Ha. Yep that's the one! I've had hundreds of meals out of these things and I have yet to see one blow up. The only way I can see one blowing up is if the weight hole is clogged up and the pressure has no where to go. Which would be difficult to do seeing how the pressure steam keeps it clean.

Like I said, fried chicken, how I do it! 

Its friggen awesome. 

NW IOWA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Brings back fond memories ... decades ago I had a part time job at KFC in England.  Not sure if their process has changed ... your way is almost identical to how it was done then - band-saw each chicken into 9 pieces, soak in buttermilk, coat in spiced flour, pressure cook (can't remember the oil temp) for 8 minutes (if memory serves). The huge wall clock in the kitchen had two minute hands 8-min apart, when each pot is put on we'd mark the time indicated by the 1st minute hand on the lid; when the 2nd minute hand reaches that time it's ready!
    canuckland
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Good grub right there well done sir.
    Seattle, WA
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    I have a pressure fryer...will try this recipe out...thanks 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    nom nom nom   I'd eat my weight in that chicken!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • There's a place near me (Climo's) that has Broasted Chicken.  Pretty good stuff.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    I have a Fagor pressure fryer and always had troubles with the flour as you mentioned. This makes me want to try it again. Also for years we used to frequent a local Mom & Pop Italian restaurant and they had andouille sausage in tomato sauce over pasta. The sausages were so tender and fall apart I asked their chef what the secret was. They pressure cooked the sausages in a bit of water for 20 minutes then right into the sauce. 
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE