Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wet Aged Brisket and Homemade Sides

Options
I picked up a brisket from Restaurant Depot a month or so ago. When returning home I placed the brisket in the beer fridge which was meant to be temporary until I had a few extra minutes to throw in the deep freeze out in the garage. Well lazyness got the better part of me. The brisket has been hanging out with its beer friends for the last month or so. Mr. Brisket has meet our local Brewer friends - Badger Hill, Old Man Gramps - Grain Belt, Step Brother - Budweiser, and the Silver Fox himself - Coors. All was good until uninvited Milwaukees Best Light showed up to the beer fridge party. They wreck everything. Mr. Brisket wanted out. Who the hell put Milwaukee Best Light in my fridge? Wasn't me. Coors isn't my choice but always on hand. It was time for the brisket to say good bye to his beer fridge friends and to knock as many Milwaukee Best Lights out of the fridge as possible when being removed. It was time!

I invited my parents and my sister over to dinner as my sister and dads birthday are two days apart. A good excuse to cook up the brisket that had unintentionally been wet aging. 

I threw the brisket on at 3:15am Sunday morning and decided to wrap it around 2pm to help the stall and finish on time. 

I'm loving this Stoker! I know some here on the forum are proud that they're cord free. I do agree that new eggers should learn the technique and vent settings for a low and slow before purchasing a pit controller. The Stoker has been a nice addition though. A complete 180 over my Auber Instruments PID controller I've been using. I picked up a used DigiQ controller for $25 at a garage sale earlier this summer and that felt like a huge upgrade. This Stoker is way more than I need but I really do like the wifi option. Especially when you're gone hours at a time. Just nice to check in and see where everything is at for temperature.

Here's a shot of the brisket being removed from the butcher paper and sliced.

I made some cornbread along with the brisket. My mom made some potato salad and calico beans. (The calico beans are probably my all time favorite food) For all the time and prepping the brisket took to prepare it took the backseat to the beans on my plate! :o

All was good! Ate way too much. Good times were had. A big thanks to @Brisket_Fanatic for answering all my brisket texts.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I did the same thing last RD brisket I had, left it in there over a month. When I cooked it I did two briskets, one was recently purchased the other was the one that sat in the beer fridge for around 40 days. The biggest difference was the wet aged brisket didn't take as long even though they were the same size and it was juicier than the recent purchased brisket. How long and at what temp did yours take? 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    That all looks amazing! Happy to help anytime!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    i know you were in a time crunch, but did you let it rest before slicing?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Great cook and result-nice smoke ring as well.  Brisket cook-the most fun cook on a BGE.
    BTW- I'm with you , "Life is too short for light/lite beer."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I'd easily hammer two of those plates, looks awesome.
    Will keep the wet age trick in mind if I ever do brisket again.

I'm with ya V, nice to have cruise control when needed, especially in winter. Haters gon hate.   ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Great looking brisket! Nice job.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Focker- do you need a brisket intervention??  ;)
    Apologize for the partial hi-jack.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Man that looks great!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Focker- do you need a brisket intervention??  ;)
    Apologize for the partial hi-jack.
    LOL, yes, I do. 
    Or is the forum in desperate need of one?  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Money!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I did the same thing last RD brisket I had, left it in there over a month. When I cooked it I did two briskets, one was recently purchased the other was the one that sat in the beer fridge for around 40 days. The biggest difference was the wet aged brisket didn't take as long even though they were the same size and it was juicier than the recent purchased brisket. How long and at what temp did yours take? 
    @JRWhitee I had the Stoker set at 250 and bumped it up to 260 when wrapping. The brisket took about 14 hours total in the egg. I did think this brisket was much juicier than other briskets I have cooked in the past with all the drippings the foil collected. That's interesting you thought the same
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    That all looks amazing! Happy to help anytime!
    @Brisket_Fanatic Thanks! I think I'm on the right track.  

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    billt01 said:
    i know you were in a time crunch, but did you let it rest before slicing?
    @billt01 Yes sir. 2 hour rest foiled and wrapped 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great cook and result-nice smoke ring as well.  Brisket cook-the most fun cook on a BGE.
    BTW- I'm with you , "Life is too short for light/lite beer."
    @lousubcap Thanks! The smoke ring came out nice. Becoming a little more confident with each brisket

I like most beers but Milwaukee Best tastes like its 3/4 water. Same with Miller Lite. I'm not saying I won't drink them but won't go out of my way to buy them. Just surprised how they found their way into the beer fridge.  

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Focker said:
    I'd easily hammer two of those plates, looks awesome.
    Will keep the wet age trick in mind if I ever do brisket again.

I'm with ya V, nice to have cruise control when needed, especially in winter. Haters gon hate.   ;)
    @Focker Thanks! Going to inject the brisket next go around and see if I can get some more flavor out of the beef. 

It's nice to have a temp controller. The Stoker is up and beyond what is necessary. The Auber Instruments PID controller I've used for the past 6 years has worked well. Very basic controller but has seen its better day. The Stoker more less jumped in my cart when ebay bidding one night. Hell, its nicer than my truck! ;) 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Great looking brisket! Nice job.
    Thank you! @minniemoh

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Man that looks great!
    Much appreciated! @bgebrent

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Money!
    Thanks! @NC_Egghead

Minnesota
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Looks great! Glad you have the Stoker up and running. I have a brisket cook upcoming for Friday.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    The brisket looks great, all of it for that matter. And you're right about those beans, one of my favs, too.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Man, that brisket looks WONDERFUL!!!
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    Job well done...
  • BrueggeDad
    BrueggeDad Posts: 112
    Options
    Nice brisket!  Looks great.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • WeberWho
    Options
    DMW said:
    Looks great! Glad you have the Stoker up and running. I have a brisket cook upcoming for Friday.
    @DMW Thanks! A nice feeling to have the Stoker up and running. It got a little depressing seeing it sit on the shelf not doing any good. Especially with me buying it used from Ebay and not knowing if the issue was coming from the Stoker or on the user end. I'm glad it was on the user end and me just not knowing what to do when first initially setting it up. I couldn't have got it up and running without your guys help! 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    The brisket looks great, all of it for that matter. And you're right about those beans, one of my favs, too.
    @StillH2OEgger Thank you! I don't eat the beans too often but when I do they're always a treat. So simple but sooooo good!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Man, that brisket looks WONDERFUL!!!
    Thanks for the kind words! @Theophan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Job well done...
    Thank you good sir! @Budaman5000

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Nice brisket!  Looks great.
    Thanks! @BrueggeDad

Minnesota
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Looks great!  I was just @ RD this morning to pick up some chuck ribs for the the long weekend!  Enjoy your Labor Day Weekend.
    Edina, MN

• WeberWho
    Options
    Budgeezer said:
    Looks great!  I was just @ RD this morning to pick up some chuck ribs for the the long weekend!  Enjoy your Labor Day Weekend.
    Hey thanks! @Budgeezer Restaurant Depot rules. Happy smokey Labor Day as well!

Minnesota