Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy, Suprisingly Good Jerky

Options
Alan
Alan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife just got one of those "Jerky Shooter" gadgets from Wally World, and we just made a batch on the egg. Not bad at all.[p]The kit looks like a caulking gun, and comes with packages of cure and seasoning that are mixed with ground meat. You can squeeze out flat or round jerky, and when cooked on the egg at about 175 indirect, is very good. You could obviously change the seasoning to suit your tastes. The kit and a box of seasoning cost $16.[p]The kit is also a come on to induce you to buy their dehydrator, which I don't need.[p]It's a whole lot easier than slicing all that meat for jerky, and being basically lazy, that appeals to me.[p]Cheers,
Alan[p]

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    09_17_0016_07_01.jpg
    <p />Alan, based on your description I can't believe the appearance is similiar - can you post a picture of the result?

• Alan,
    If you don't feel like slicing, have them do it at the meat market. I do and most places don't charge.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    View?u=1386188&a=10352463&p=34908554
    <p />Alan, It sounds like your putting hamburger through a device to make beef jerky? My meat cutter always slices my rump roasts for me into jerky. A few samples every now and then and he does it for nothing.[p]CWM
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    TubeJerky.JPG
    <p />Alan sent me a picture - it looks good - I had to shrink the picture a bit, but I'm about ready to give it a try! [p]BTW - venison is now cut for Jerky either tomorrow or Monday![p]
  • Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Options
    Thanks to GFW for posting the photo for me![p]I'm in no way suggesting that this squeeze jerky is better than the "real thing", it's just interesting and pretty good. [p]It would be good for someone with dental work as well, because it's not as chewy as normal jerky. The seasoning aspect of ground meat seems a little different than the non-ground variety also. I don't know if it's a fact or not, but the ground meat seems to absorb more seasonings than regular beef.[p]It was quick and easy though, and tasted good. We all strive to do better, whatever that is. I'll let you know if I ever find out.[p]Thanks for the suggestions to have the butcher slice it for me. It never occurred to me to ask. I'll give it a try.[p]Happy new Year to all,
    Alan