Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Chicken Recipes?

Options
Dondgc
Dondgc Posts: 709
this isn't really an egg thing but hopefully its not off topic.  Any fried chicken experts out there? How do you cook it?

Don
New Orleans LA

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Some things I can cook and some things I can't.  I can fry you up a mess of hot wings that will be better than anything you've ever had in bar.  However, every time I have tried to do southern style fried chicken I blow it every time.  Most of the time my dogs won't even eat it.  You can find a gazillion recipes online.  Most involve using buttermilk.  I think the paper bag method also works well.  Anyways, good luck with your search and I hope you do better than I have.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    my late granny, and now my aging mama both did killer fried chicken.  I have never been that good at it, but I guess I need to get their method so it won't be lost to time----good reminder, thanks
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I'll have to dig it up. Southern fried chicken we do is out of a Dutch oven. PM me to remind me and I'll shoot it over to you. It's really not complicated. Great grandmas recipe

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• greenenvy
    Options

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Dondgc  I cannot vouch for the book yet, but I did a little looking around on the subject a few weeks back.  This is the book that made it into my cart.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/077043522X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YFGH8A5LJL05&coliid=I2T03GA9KK3XM7

I've had decent success, but looking to up my game,  there are a lot of fry experts here, maybe some will chime in shortly.

Phoenix 
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options

http://www.food.com/recipe/funky-fried-chicken-320651

I've had excellent results with this recipe.  The key is MEDIUM heat and covering the skillet with oil.  It works well w/ any bone-in piece of chicken.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @ThrillSeeker. What do you mean by cover skillet with oil?  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited August 2016
    Options
    for some reason i can not cook southern fried chicken, had to change my game plan to yankee fried dipped in franks/butter, blue cheese dressing, and diced celery, works like a charm. i have really given up on southern fried =)  boneless thighs is the way to go for me

httpcd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53r23cf1rackcdncombiggreeneggvanillaforumscomFileUploadd79a6268e4cd0283eca08ea718f04bd1jpg

recipe
    https://newengland.com/today/food/commonwealth-fried-chicken/#_

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @fishlessman. Yankee chicken sounds like blasphemy!  Looks great, bet it tastes just as good.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I broast my chicken. I'm doing some for dinner tonite, I will post my cook on how I do it later this evening. 
    NW IOWA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @fishlessman. Yankee chicken sounds like blasphemy!  Looks great, bet it tastes just as good.
    the boneless sections seems to cook quicker and more even, i just cant get the knack of bone in pieces. the buffalo sauce/blue cheese/celery does up the game from a pickle on a southern chicken sandwich =)
    fukahwee maine

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    I've never been able to get the breading to stick with fried chicken.
    The local Publix store bought or Popeyes is about the best but I don't know how they do it.
    On mine the skin is nice and crispy but the breading goes away. I've tried dry, wet, double breading, room temp, chilled, skillet fried, deep fried. Nothing has worked the way I want it to.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

This recipe has worked very well for me. Like many I do not deep fry, for health and the fact I am horrible at it. I have tried this recipe, it is delicious! And due to it being oven fried it is easier. Key: make sure you let the chicken sit for 30 minutes as it states, it makes a real difference in even cooking results.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/spicy-oven-fried-chicken

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @ThrillSeeker. What do you mean by cover skillet with oil?  

Typo.  Should say "cover the skillet with foil"

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• RedSkip
    Options
    That makes perfect sense!  Autocorrect can be pretty crafty from time to time...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Action_Hank
    Options
    I like to give my chicken a good brine in pickle juice, chick-fil-a style
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  Need to do some experimenting now :)
    New Orleans LA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    for some reason i can not cook southern fried chicken, had to change my game plan to yankee fried dipped in franks/butter, blue cheese dressing, and diced celery, works like a charm. i have really given up on southern fried =)  boneless thighs is the way to go for me

httpcd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53r23cf1rackcdncombiggreeneggvanillaforumscomFileUploadd79a6268e4cd0283eca08ea718f04bd1jpg

recipe
    https://newengland.com/today/food/commonwealth-fried-chicken/#_

Fish....secret ingredient is southern air. JKOC.....learned from my mom who was a great southern cook. Really not that difficult, Regretablly, I don't eat much fried food any more. But then again, it's almost football season,and nothing says fried chicken like a good tailgate. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Wet hand/ dry hand. Chicken in flour then egg wash, back into flour(with S&p). Into skillet with CRISCO. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    The local Publix store bought or Popeyes is about the best but I don't know how they do it.
    On mine the skin is nice and crispy but the breading goes away. I've tried dry, wet, double breading, room temp, chilled, skillet fried, deep fried. Nothing has worked the way I want it to.
    Increase your oil temp. 
  • Philly35
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    Try milk, then into your breading. Let the chicken sit on a plate or something after breading until the flour gets tacky. Usually about 12-15 minutes. Works for me every time! If you add the chicken straight to the oil after dredging in your flour mixture, the dry flour will fall right off. Let me k ow if this works for ya!
    NW IOWA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    Any fried chicken experts out there? How do you cook it?
    First let me say no, I'm not a chicken expert. As to your second question, in heavy black iron with lard. 

I can't believe that some southerner hasnt already posted the heavy iron and lard. Y'all are killing me fellows. 
    On a serious note, fried bird is pretty straight forward. Here is one of two ways that I do it. 
    1. Soak chicken in buttermilk for 4-24 hours. Do not wipe or rinse the buttermilk off. Come straight out of the buttermilk, season if you like, and then right into the flour. 
    2. Season to taste. You can use anything that you like. I like to season both the chicken and the flour. But that's just me. 
    3. Dredge chicken in self rising flour. 
    4. Fry in a heavy iron pan with lard. 
    General tips:
    For pan frying (not deep frying) 365 degrees is near an ideal frying temp. Especially if using lard. 
    If you like a softer texture, then fry with the lid on. If you like a snappier texture, then fry uncovered. 
    Most importantly, do not over cook the chicken. This is by far and large the biggest error that novice fryers make. When it's done, it's done.  
    As I said earlier, there are many different ways to fry chicken. This is just one of them. However this one is simple and straight forward. Not only that, the chicken is quite impressive if I do say so myself. 
    If you don't like this version, I have a deep fried one that I will share as well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    SGH said:
    Dondgc said:
    Any fried chicken experts out there? How do you cook it?
    First let me say no, I'm not a chicken expert. As to your second question, in heavy black iron with lard. 

I can't believe that some southerner hasnt already posted the heavy iron and lard. Y'all are killing me fellows. 
    On a serious note, fried bird is pretty straight forward. Here is one of two ways that I do it. 
    1. Soak chicken in buttermilk for 4-24 hours. Do not wipe or rinse the buttermilk off. Come straight out of the buttermilk, season if you like, and then right into the flour. 
    2. Season to taste. You can use anything that you like. I like to season both the chicken and the flour. But that's just me. 
    3. Dredge chicken in self rising flour. 
    4. Fry in a heavy iron pan with lard. 
    General tips:
    For pan frying (not deep frying) 365 degrees is near an ideal frying temp. Especially if using lard. 
    If you like a softer texture, then fry with the lid on. If you like a snappier texture, then fry uncovered. 
    Most importantly, do not over cook the chicken. This is by far and large the biggest error that novice fryers make. When it's done, it's done.  
    As I said earlier, there are many different ways to fry chicken. This is just one of them. However this one is simple and straight forward. Not only that, the chicken is quite impressive if I do say so myself. 
    If you don't like this version, I have a deep fried one that I will share as well. 

for some unknown reason the market basket here dropped lard off the shelves, the kids that stock the shelves dont even know what it is :o
    fukahwee maine

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Okay, here is my go to recipe.

Southern Style Deep Fried Chicken

Servings: 8

Ingredients
    1 quart buttermilk
    1 tsp garlic, granulated
    1 whole cutup chicken
    2 cups flour, self-rising
    1 tsp oregano, dried
    1 Tbs sage, ground
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 Tbs Lawry's® garlic salt
    1 Tbs Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt®
    salt and pepper to taste

Procedure
    1. Combine the buttermilk, granulated garlic and mix thoroughly in a refrigerator proof container. Add the chicken, make sure it's thoroughly coated by the buttermilk and soak for at least six hours before you plan to cook the chicken.

2. Combine the flour, oregano, sage, cayenne pepper, Lawry's® Garlic Salt, and Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt® in a 1 gallon sized Ziploc® bag. Zip the bag to close and thoroughly mix the contents. Put a drop of water on your finger and then touch the flour mixture with your moistened finger and taste it to see if you need to adjust any of the seasonings.

3. Add the amount of oil specified by your deep fryer manufacturer and preheat your deep fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the amount of chicken your deep fryer will hold from the buttermilk mixture and let it drain. Dredge it in the flour mixture, be sure and coat it completely and add it to your deep fryer. Cook for the recommended time, which should be approximately 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the deep fryer and place it on a wire rack over a shallow rimmed bowl or baking pan to let the oil completely drain off. Place it in a warm oven heated to approximately 200 degrees Fahrenheit to keep the chicken warm while you finish frying the other pieces of chicken. Continue until all the chicken has been cooked.

Tips
    If you don't have a deep fryer, you can use a regular frying pan to accomplish this. Heat a 10 inch frying pan over medium-high heat, Pour enough oil in the pan for a depth of about 1 inch. When the oil has heated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, fry three pieces of chicken at a time so that you do not overcrowd the chicken or it will not cook evenly. Cook on one side until the chicken starts to turn golden brown on the bottom, then turn and cook the other side. Continue until all chicken has been fried. This will take approximately 25 minutes per batch of chicken.

You can drain the chicken on paper towels on a plate if you wish. I prefer that oven method because that keeps the batter crispy.

You can let the chicken soak in the buttermilk mixture in the refrigerator up to 24 hours.

Cooking Times
    Preparation Time: 20 minutes

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 441 calories, 20.9g total fat, 122.6mg cholesterol, 1443.1mg sodium, 485mg potassium, 29.9g carbohydrates, 1.1g fiber, 6g sugar, 31.3g protein.

All that being said, I strictly use peanut oil for chicken frying whether it is deep fried or pan fried simply because the rest of the family would not stand for lard, but I definitely would. Use a good bird. I buy Greenwise from Publix and have the butcher cut up a whole chicken for me. I season my chicken at least 2 hours before cooking, even if I choose to use just salt and pepper and sometimes, I do. If you are pan frying, don't crowd. Dark meat takes longer to cook than white meat, so put the pieces in a pre-heated oven to keep warm while the rest is frying. Self-rising flour will make a crispier crust. If you're looking for what grandma cooked, just use salt and pepper to season the chicken. The other spices just kick it up a little. I have multiple deep fryers and a 3 and 5 quart cast iron chicken fryer that I use, depending on how much chicken I am frying. Everything is better in cast iron.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Dredger
    Sister I'm so glad that you jumped in here too. I was really starting to worry about all of my southern friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Philly35
    Options
    Another good tip, that I like anyway, is to sprinkle with salt immediately after removing from the oil. 
    NW IOWA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @SGH, Amazon frowns on the contents of my books being "freely available on the internet", so I was a little slow to post, sorry. I expect an email from them any day now, lol. It will not be pretty, but I will assure them it was me and not someone else posting it. Hope you understand. =)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC