Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanna see what 80 day aged beef looks like?

Options
It's Day 80 of @bgebrent and my aged ribeye showdown and gentlemen's wager. The 100 day project will conclude on Sept 17 with a cutting ceremony and a little cookoff. 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looking good Michael!  I'll post a pic later for comparison.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Options
    Brent looking forward to the comparison pic of your meat !!!! :o
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Brent looking forward to the comparison pic of your meat !!!! :o
    B-rent told me he's not used to taking pictures of big meat.  Said he is used to taking pictures of the half eaten lil smokey variety that one cannot see hardly.  That's why he's always asking me if I'll photoshop stuff or can I make "things" look bigger than what they are.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    is that liquid in the bottom corner?

bag doesn't look as closely adhered as i have seen in the photos posted here previously. maybe the bag doesn't need to be tight to the surface?

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DoubleEgger
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It was tighter to the surface when I started. It has shrunk a lot. The coloration is just the bag adhesion and lighting. I double checked it. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    This was Day 1 

• bgebrent
    Options
    The bag less 80 day version.

Bigger than any meat @tarheelmatt has dreamt of.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    It was tighter to the surface when I started. It has shrunk a lot. The coloration is just the bag adhesion and lighting. I double checked it. 
    ah.  got it. from the day1 photo you can see that the corner is not liquid, just meat

looks good
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    At what point are you, or anyone for that matter, going to get sick from aging beef? Is there a safe aging limit?
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Rut Ro....
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    Is there a safe aging limit?
    Makes one stop and ponder for a moment doesn't it? But to answer your question, there is certainly a limit on wet aging. But on dry aging, the time frame that you can age is measured in years and decades, not days or weeks if you know what you are doing. In the realm of dry aging, 100 days is mere child's play. 
    On that note, there is what most call a practical limit where you are changing the taste of something that you enjoy into something that you may no longer enjoy. That limit is different for everyone. However as far as "safe" to eat, if you do your part when dry aging, you probably will not live long enough to reach a unsafe point. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @DoubleEgger @bgebrent
    Standing by with envious eyes for the finale my friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Very cool thread!  Looking forward to the updates..
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2016
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    At what point are you, or anyone for that matter, going to get sick from aging beef? Is there a safe aging limit?
    you need to instead first ask: how would i get sick from beef (any beef) in the first place?

answer that question, and it will make clear why aging beef this way does not necessarily mean that you are making the beef less safe by aging it

consider that the USDA advises that chicken eggs, which have been recently (i.e., last twenty years or so) breached by virulent salmonella strains, are STILL safe after six to eight weeks in the fridge.

people will keep a dozen eggs in their fridge for a couple weeks easy without wondering whether they are bad.  but beef, which is 'safer' than chicken?  no way.  people wig out and panic. if they bought a roast and a dozen eggs on the same day, they'd throw out the beef well before the eggs.  but they couldn't explain why.

re beef: 

where does the bacteria come from that we care about? 

-during slaughter, the guy may be spilled and fecal bacteria may get on (not in) the muscle.

what allows it to grow? 

warm temps, and water (moist surfaces)

so.  wash the meat, pat dry, and and let the surface air dry quickly.  keep it cold (beef will not freeze even at 32 degrees), and you minimize the bacteria to begin with, as well as its growth.  don't push the bacteria into the beef (i.e. don't age ground beef, where the exterior is made internal).  if you leave it in cryo, the non-oxygen environment is on your side too

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    SGH said:
    MaC122 said:
    Makes one stop and ponder for a moment doesn't it? But to answer your question, there is certainly a limit on wet aging. But on dry aging, the time frame that you can age is measured in years and decades, not days or weeks if you know what you are doing. In the realm of dry aging, 100 days is mere child's play. 
    On that note, there is what most call a practical limit where you are changing the taste of something that you enjoy into something that you may no longer enjoy. That limit is different for everyone. However as far as "safe" to eat, if you do your part when dry aging, you probably will not live long enough to reach a unsafe point. 

To touch more on this,  I forget who posted the youtube of it, but a guy tested dry aged steaks at TX restaurant and I think he found 180 to be about the limit. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    edited August 2016
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    SGH said:
    MaC122 said:

To touch more on this,  I forget who posted the youtube of it, but a guy tested dry aged steaks at TX restaurant and I think he found 180 to be about the limit. 
    I watched that video as it was posted here recently, it sounded as though that restaurant was inviting different bacteria to grow on the surface, the old ones were super gnarly looking, I think he sampled a 420 day old but it was overwhelmed by the flavor and it was tough 

http://www.eater.com/2016/7/29/12324720/how-long-dry-age-steak-meat-show-knife-john-tesar
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Weak come back B-Rent.  Real weak.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am holding out for day 83.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    this is EPIC

i can't wait to see the details off the cutting and cookoff.  

will you be trimming?  or eating the edges?

what is the drink of choice for this event?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Weak come back B-Rent.  Real weak.  
    Says the boy with the small hands.  Tried to give you an out.  
  • bgebrent
    edited August 2016
    Options

blind99 said:
    this is EPIC

My friend, we'll be eating the jerky (edges), I plan no trimming just cuz I'm lazy.  Drink of choice I'll leave up to the others.  For me, I most look forward to the carpaccio.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    blind99 said:
    this is EPIC

I'm just along for the ride. I'll eat whatever is put in front of me. Hope I can talk the wife into driving also I can drink all of Brent's beer and part of his bourbon. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looks awesome guys.  Waiting eagerly for the 100 day results
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    260 or so days pork.
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    Brother MaC122, I haven't done anything @Darby_Crenshaw recommended.  He's crazy!  Counting on good luck.  Wish me luck brother.
    Now you know I'm messing with you.  There is science behind all this.  I'm a scientist so forgive my bias.  Really don't know how this will turn out, other than you and I know mine will be way better than @DoubleEgger's ;). If it kills me, I'll let you know.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Just don't tell Amy we're  eating rotten steak!  Until we're finished.  ;)
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Just don't tell Amy we're  eating rotten steak!  Until we're finished.  ;)
    We'll need to get hers and the boys out of the center!  We'll have some unaged prime ribeye dialed in too brother.  No one hungry!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @bgebrent they'll all try almost anything. The boys eat raw oysters, fish, etc. escargot. Just might want some of that back up.