Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm done with my pizza stone!

Options
Been doing pizzas for years now and always had good results using my BGE pizza stone on the top level of my XL adjustable rig. Last night, I had a bunch of hungry and impatient folks and waiting 30 min for the stone to warm up wasn't an option. So I scrapped the stone and decided to put the pizza directly on the grate. I was amazed by the results. By far the best crust and pizza I have ever made on the egg. I had my indirect stone low in the box resting on top of my spider, and the egg humming at around 550. I will only do it this way from now on. The consensus favourite was the fig, apple and brie pizza. 

Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It is an option.  Looks good brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    That's pretty darn solid well done.
    Seattle, WA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    wowweee...  Looks great.  I will take one of each please!!!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Looks like a great solution and the results sure back that up.  I'v been cooking mine in a pizza pan, then just a minute or two on the stone (which is hot by then) for a nice finish.   I think my dough is too wet to put directly on the grill.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    So you leave us to assume your pies on the stone were less impressive?  I've done both.  Please differentiate.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Looks like a great solution and the results sure back that up.  I'v been cooking mine in a pizza pan, then just a minute or two on the stone (which is hot by then) for a nice finish.   I think my dough is too wet to put directly on the grill.
    Thanks everyone. @EggNorth I thought my dough would be too wet as well, but was surprised to see how fast it firmed up once it hit the hot grate. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    But they aren't perfectly round...how could they be good? =)  
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I've been making pizzas like that for a while. Turns out great. Here us a thread I started. 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1169228/who-needs-a-stinkin-pizza-stone#latest
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Nice looking pies
    Phoenix 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Ugh I need to try a pizza sometime 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I haven't used my stone ever since my first try with the steel. In my oven, not the egg. I much prefer the steel. And the oven, LOL.

Years ago, pre-egg, I tried a few pizzas on my weber grid (no stone)... coals all around the perimeter, naked dough directly on the grid until it set up a bit and got some grill marks. Then, take it off with one peel, flip it over (raw side down) onto another peel and put the sauce and toppings on the grilled side. Then back on the grid raw side down to finish.

Been a LONG time (1996 I think) and I don't really remember how well it worked. Must not have been too awesome because 20 years later, I still have the same weber and the same two wooden peels I bought just for that purpose... and yet I don't think I've done a pizza that way since then. I really should try again - I'm better at pizza now and it might be fun to see how it works out 20 years later.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Pizza is a favorite at my house. Will try this next time and see what the family says. Your results look wonderful 
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great looking pies. The stone I use is a $10 half inch thick cheapie from Kitchen Collection, it works like a pizza pan/screen as it heats very quickly. I tried the thicker stones, but could not get it right. Never tried "going commando" - looks interesting. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have done several pizza cooks over direct coals, i posted the threads a few times here with technique. Makes a great pizza! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Looks really good.  Did you find that the crust was a little more crisp than off the stone?  What was so different as Brent mentioned.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• kbr718
    kbr718 Posts: 74
    Options
    Looks great!
    LBGE Chicago, IL
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Interesting, I haven't tried this yet. How thick was the dough before it was cooked? Did you make it yourself, if so what as the hydration level?

My gut instinct is that for a wet dough in a thin crust pizza this wouldn't work so well as the dough would sag a little with the weight of the ingredients, however happy to be countered on this assumption.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Those are great looking pizzas, and I agree, a pizza stone only works well if you use it at very high temperatures and location in the dome becomes much more important so the crust and the top are done at the same time.

Most of the time, I just use one of those cheap aluminum round pans with the holes in it. Bring it out of the kitchen and put it on top of the air gap on top of the plate setter, legs down, 500º.

Home made pizza at my house will have a much thicker crust than the take and bake from the store. Aluminum does a great job of dispersing heat and browning the crust.

I use iron, same set up for deep dish, same air gap on the plate setter legs down.

My air gap is two clay pot watering dishes. The little dishes you put under the flower pot to hold a few ounces of water. 75¢ each and they bring the pizza a couple inches above the gasket.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Those pies look killer!  FWIW I gave up using pizza stone for naan long time ago, just stock grid direct after finishing my tandoori chicken.  Don't even need stone down at spider level since topping-less naan can be flipped.
    canuckland
  • bweekes
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Looks really good.  Did you find that the crust was a little more crisp than off the stone?  What was so different as Brent mentioned.  
    @ryantt - the crust definitely crisped up faster. In the past, I found that my ingredients would be ready before my crust. Without the stone, both seemed to finish at the same time, more or less.
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bweekes
    Options
    Interesting, I haven't tried this yet. How thick was the dough before it was cooked? Did you make it yourself, if so what as the hydration level?

My gut instinct is that for a wet dough in a thin crust pizza this wouldn't work so well as the dough would sag a little with the weight of the ingredients, however happy to be countered on this assumption.
    Store bought dough (haven't graduated to making my own dough yet), so I have no clue on hydration level. But, I'm sure it was drier than if I made it myself, which is why this method worked particularly well for me. Who knows, maybe next time will be a flop (literally), but right now, I'm riding high on a surprisingly good cook. also, i keep my pizza pretty simple, with fewer toppings - so weight wasn't really an issue. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Did you cook the dough a little before putting on sauce and toppings or all at one time? I'm definitely going to try this. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • bweekes
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Did you cook the dough a little before putting on sauce and toppings or all at one time? I'm definitely going to try this. 
    Did not cook the dough at all before sliding it on the egg (believe it or not). As I say, I was really surprised that it didn't sag - it firmed up almost immediately and the air pockets in the crust were better than I've ever had. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Waiting for Caveman next ;)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bweekes
    Options
    Waiting for Caveman next ;)
    Ha! I'm sure @hapster has been doing his pizzas that way for years!
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Firstly those Zas look darn good. & now I'll play Devils advocate...why use a stone in the first place? Is it to heat/cook the pie from the transfer of heat thru the stone? A "good" stone serves several purposes that make it ideal when baking especially baking things like Zas, yeast rolls, sourdough bread, etc. It draws moisture leaving that crisp crust. Also for us eggheads getting it as high in the dome as possible helps us achieve the awe-inspiring leopard spots.  Can this be done on steel?  Steel is not porous like a stone so a different result will occur. Ultimately do what ever works for you. For me the stone is it.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bweekes
    Options
    Firstly those Zas look darn good. & now I'll play Devils advocate...why use a stone in the first place? Is it to heat/cook the pie from the transfer of heat thru the stone? A "good" stone serves several purposes that make it ideal when baking especially baking things like Zas, yeast rolls, sourdough bread, etc. It draws moisture leaving that crisp crust. Also for us eggheads getting it as high in the dome as possible helps us achieve the awe-inspiring leopard spots.  Can this be done on steel?  Steel is not porous like a stone so a different result will occur. Ultimately do what ever works for you. For me the stone is it.

Gothca. I'm not advocating for anything (stone or no stone), just saying that I tried something and it worked well for me. I'm no pizza expert, so my previous cooks while using the stone were likely flawed in other respects (i.e., temp, quality of dough, placement in the dome, etc, etc). 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @bweekes I can tell ya that long before I made my own dough and Zas. Long before the BGE I had cooked frozen pizza in the gasser or oven and it was always directly on the grid with indirect heat. Sometimes I would have it on a screen but, still on the grid. Many ways to skin a cat. Wasn't trying to knock it by any means. Like I said they look good.  More importantly you said it was your best crust.   I can't say I blame you for sticking with what works for you. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Gave the no stone thing a try tonight. I did have a stone in my Woo but not the AR. My wife, son and I all agree this method makes a better pizza (crust) - in our opinion. Will say - you need to watch it, seems to cook fast.  The crust was great.  I also used my AR and had the pizza high in the dome (first time cooking high in the dome).  

I love cooking pizza, tried Goat cheese on mine since I can't have dairy. Not bad.

Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/