Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - KFC Secret Recipe??

Options
2»

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I think the secret to KFC can be replicated, in addition to the ingredients listed as original, by emptying your grease trap of grease and debris, then dredging the chicken parts through that prior to breading.
    First time thru I read "prior to breeding"
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    RRP said:

BTW am I the only person now getting some friggen pop up adds that I NEVER got until today from this site?   Personally I find this SH*T very annoying!!!
    No pop up ads here.
    You may have a virus. 
    Usually these are contacted from unscrupulous websites!   Are you on your Android?  Mac ios? Windows? 
    @rrp
    Yes - I had a touch of the flu. Ran MacKeeper and that cleared the issue.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    On that British website is a link to The Guardian: 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/jul/24/kfc-secret-recipe-revealed

and their secret is marinating the chicken in milk overnight and poaching it in the milk before frying.

Judy in San Diego
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @bgebrent that was funny. KFC, like all other brands, is a matter of personal taste. Fried chicken is comfort food to me, and thus far, I have never had to complain about any of it. I will say this, my favorite fried chicken is home made. I absolutely love My Beautiful Wife's fried chicken, and remain thankful she watches my health and cooks it only occasionally. I would weigh in excess of 400 lbs. easy, if she made it as often as I would want it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I pressure fry chicken at home all the time. All you need is a chicken basket! I found mine for dirt cheep at a good will. Beats chicken on the egg even!
    NW IOWA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    I pressure fry chicken at home all the time. All you need is a chicken basket! I found mine for dirt cheep at a good will. Beats chicken on the egg even!
    Hmm, exactly how do you do that? Make and model of pressure cooker? What does a pressure cooker chicken basket look like? Since there isn't a PC maker anywhere who will tell you it's safe to pressure fry in a pressure cooker, I'm surprised you were able to find such a basket. How much oil do you put in the PC? How long does it take? Is your homeowner's insurance paid up? How about medical? 

Seriously, I've looked for anyone who would tell me it was okay and EVERY source I've ever read, from Lorna Sass to Presto to Fagor to Miss Vickie to Kuhn-Rikon and plenty more says you should NEVER pressure fry in a pressure cooker! The gasket and safety mechanisms are simply not suitable for pressurized oil. 

So how are you getting away with it?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Philly35
    Options
    @Carolina Q It's a Wear-Ever 6qt chicken broaster. You put oil in it up to the full line. You fry the chicken for three minutes then close the lid down tight and pressure fry for 13. It's all in the instructions that come with. My homeowners and medical are paid up. It's not a pressure cooker, it's a chicken broaster. It has vents. It can also do veggies and potatoes. Oh, and pork chops! If you've never had a broaster pork chop, your missing out! 

This is is what it looks like. I hope this answers all your questions. 

NW IOWA
  • Philly35
    Options
    @Carolina Q I don't think they make these anymore. The chicken that comes out of it is awesome. Something to keep your eyes open for at second hand stores. 
    NW IOWA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I remember "broasted" chicken in many roadside places growing up (1960's-70's), that's the first "home" unit I've seen.  Thanks @Philly35 !

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well, I hope it works out for you. Pretty sure that's the gadget I read about that was considered unsafe at any speed... the culinary Corvair, As you said, they are no longer made (because they are hazardous??) and that means parts (gaskets, for example) are unavailable. I recall someone suggesting that if you ever found one, you should buy it and destroy it right away so no one else can try to use it. 

Wish I shared your confidence in it as I would love to find one and be able to pressure fry on a shoestring instead of having to spend hundreds on a safe model. Good luck with it!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    Well, I hope it works out for you. Pretty sure that's the gadget I read about that was considered unsafe at any speed... the culinary Corvair, As you said, they are no longer made (because they are hazardous??) and that means parts (gaskets, for example) are unavailable. I recall someone suggesting that if you ever found one, you should buy it and destroy it right away so no one else can try to use it. 

Wish I shared your confidence in it as I would love to find one and be able to pressure fry on a shoestring instead of having to spend hundreds on a safe model. Good luck with it!
    Seems to be a few of these  on ebay.

Found a link to the manual - http://home.hiwaay.net/~tomorkim/images/WeareverChickenBucket.pdf

Pretty cool!

I do wonder if they took them off the market due to too many exploding grease pot incidents. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Doing some more googling I came across this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/gadgets-magefesa-star-pressure-cooker-fryer-review.html

It seems at least one company is still making that same style pressure cooker tho they don't officially endorse its use for frying chicken.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Philly35
    Options
    My dad had one when we were kids he used it all the time. He actually found this one for me. I haven't seen one explode yet. 
    NW IOWA
  • Philly35
    Options
    This is the first I've ever heard of them exploding. I've used mine probably thirty-forty times and I know my dad has used his hundreds of times. It only uses 5-6 pounds of pressure. I wouldn't consider it hazardous at all. I'll be using it this week, I'll post the cook. 
    NW IOWA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    "Culinary Corvair". Lmfao

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."