Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat thermometers - speed of response

Good Afternoon 

Can anyone recommend a good temp probe for giving "instant" readings on steaks.

Key requirements are quality, reliability and speed of response.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The gold standard is the Thermapen.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kevlah
    Kevlah Posts: 11
    Thanks as ever for your prompt responses . Made in the UK as well
  • Carolina Q
    Are you in the UK? If so, I believe you can buy them there at a somewhat lower price. US customers cannot buy direct, but perhaps UK folks can. Not sure.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Are you in the UK? If so, I believe you can buy them there at a somewhat lower price. US customers cannot buy direct, but perhaps UK folks can. Not sure.
    Thermapens are made/sold in the UK by Electronic Temperature Instruments Ltd, A mk4 cost £60 in the UK so a little bit cheaper than in the US.

Thermoworks is just a US company that is licensed to sell Thermapens and some other ETI stuff in the US.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Yeah, I tried to buy direct from ETI a few years ago. Wrote to them and asked about it. They forwarded my email to Thermoworks and the reply I got came from them. :) ETI would not sell to me.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Buy a thermapen. Many that claim to be instant read take twice as long or longer than a thermapen. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Buy a thermapen. Many that claim to be instant read take twice as long or longer than a thermapen. 
    And some that cost half the price read just as fast as a Thermapen.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG said:
    Buy a thermapen. Many that claim to be instant read take twice as long or longer than a thermapen. 
    I have never heard of a knock off that reads as fast as a thermapen, please tell us the name. 
  • Carolina Q
    edited August 2016
    HeavyG said:
    I have never heard of a knock off that reads as fast as a thermapen, please tell us the name. 
    Lavatools Javelin $25 and Javelin Pro $50. They have been discussed on here. Good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-Javelin-Digital-Thermometer-Chipotle/dp/B00NMQGAT4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472413829&sr=8-2&keywords=lavatools

Michael 
    Central Connecticut