Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse seared ribeye and eggplant cooked on coals

Options
Had some fun tonight. I found a recipe for eggplant cooked on coals that looked good. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Coal-Roasted-Eggplants-51175230
I made the smokey tomato sauce for it as well. The eggplant was simple to cook - throw it on the coals and cook it until it's charred. It's exactly like roasting a pepper. The tomato sauce with garlic, chili, and anchovy was perfect with it. 

Making the sauce in a mortar and pestle worked great. Here's the sauce recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/smoky-tomato-sauce-51175250

And the finished dish: 

I cooked some onions in the coals and a potato while I was at it. Onions are great this way as well. Just scoop out the good part and leave the char behind. 

I cooked the ribeye at about 250 degrees until the IT was 120. 

When the steak hit 120 I pullled the plate setter and let the egg climb to about 650 degrees. Then I cooked the steaks for a little over a minute on each side. They came out just like I like them. 

All in all it was a simple cook that turned out very well. 

Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Absolutely!  Great cook brother Sci!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @bgebrent Thanks my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Looks fantastic! What kind of pit are you cooking the eggplant and onion in? Looks like it's lined with firebrick and ready for a small hog.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SciAggie
    Options
    It's a Camp Chef dutch oven table. I added some 1/2 fire bricks. It works pretty well. It's my ghetto Argentine grill. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Way to be creative! I like that idea. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me ole buddy.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Every bit of that looks WONDERFUL!!!  I regret that Eggplant isn't good for my kidney stones, because I used to enjoy it.  Gosh that all looked great!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This meal looks awesome, love your presentation and plated image. One of the best I have seen. Honored Chef Status, for sure.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Great cook and post... Love your plated pic.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Thank y'all for the kind words. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I love the way that eggpland dish looks. Very cool preperation technique.(steak ain't half bad also)

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SciAggie
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I love the way that eggpland dish looks. Very cool preperation technique.(steak ain't half bad also)

Jim
    We really enjoyed the eggplant. It was something different and easy to prepare. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Like your concrete stain too!

Very pretty how it's a  variation of several colors versus just all one solid color.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    Like your concrete stain too!

Very pretty how it's a  variation of several colors versus just all one solid color.
    Thanks! It was nerve racking to do but we like the way it turned out. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Another nice cook in books.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.