Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ot: my new backwoods, $ this place started it all

SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
started a few years back bought the mini for my first egg after seeing Mickeys posts and others.  Then We have @cazzy , @lit and @sgh posting other cooker pics that got my wheels turning. Here we are , I will hold on to the eggs for now , but hope I can lean on some with experience to help me out on this if needed.
It was heavy 350 lbs, lucky a neighbor saw me at unload and we rolled in on some plywood down my backyard to get it set up.
this was 2 years old , I will take inside pics soon and post. 

Seattle, WA

Comments

• SkinnyV
    Condition on to me looks pretty top notch. I'm worried about how the cleanup might be after cooks and time consuming it is. 
    Paid $1600, drove 1 hour each way. It's the G2 Fatboy model.

Seattle, WA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited August 2016
    Great looking smoker! Time to light that bad boy. Im surprised you weren't cooking some ribs and brisket on the trailer on the way home! =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Great score - I'm sure you will have fun with it.  For me the cook is a whole order of magnitude more fun than the eats.  You clearly did your homework-an hour from Seattle is a whole lot closer than coming out of the factory in LA (state).  Enjoy-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Very nice! I think the cabinet will play nice with the egg. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    SkinnyV said:
     I'm worried about how the cleanup might be after cooks and time consuming it is. 
    Your dilemma is akin to the hippy in a windstorm dilemma. However unlike the poor hippies dilemma, there is a fairly easy fix for yours.
    Unless you are loading your cabinet to capacity or near capacity, here is a trick that makes clean up a breeze. Simply sit a large stainless roasting pan, or a disposable aluminum pan under your meat. You can either sit the pan one rack under where the meat is cooking, or use a cooling rack sitting in the pan. Either way your run off goes into the pan. Hope this helps a little. Enjoy the new rig. 

Again, this will not help if you want to run your rig at full capacity as the pans take up space. But if you are going to run half loaded or less, then the pans are ideal.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Congrats that's a beast. Looks brand new.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I was worried about the cleanup but it's really easy. Got a brush with a several foot handle then spray and scrub then rinse a couple times withthe drain open. Make sure you let it burn for a little to dry everything out and you are good to go. 
  • SkinnyV
    edited August 2016
    Great tips all and @SGH I won't be at full capacity , not anytime soon so will try your method for sure. 

@lit, may ask you in the future your method for running this as a stick burner somewhat. I saw your post on that and the meat looked great. But first I need to learn this cooker the way it is wich will take me some time.
    Thanks again fellas.

Seattle, WA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    @SkinnyV

Congrats on the new cooker.  Looks hardly used.  Have fun.
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Sweet!!  Beautiful looking rig.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Nice buy @SkinnyV. There was one of those on CL around here 7-8 months ago. I wish I would have seriously looked at it. Been kicking myself ever since as this type of smoker seems like the right thing for me too. Can't wait to see some grub off that beast.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Buy of the month, congrats on the killer cooker, I know you will enjoy.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SkinnyV
    edited August 2016
    This will be my last be post on this cooker  because I don't want to flood the BGE forum with non BGE cooks. But I just did a test run 2 whole chickens , no water in the pan and guru set to 325. The BW took a bit to get up but threw 2 pieces of oak with a fire of maybe 4-5 lbs or royal oak. 
    Drip pan like @SGH suggested.

What others have said stands true as can be. There is 0 comparison between a BGE and a cooker like this (when it comes to smoke profile). skin was as crispy as can be. It's going to be a fun ride , while I still have a fire I have some corn and veggies on. I have 0 experience with these kind of cookers but once you pull that fire box out to get a check on the cooker the difference stands out. Thanks to others for these types of posts. 

Seattle, WA
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Would you recommend the purchase to someone else?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RedSkip
    @SkinnyV. Sounds like a great cooker, even brought you closer to a not so new neighbor!  

Rock music, good car, and eats BBQ - good neighbor to have...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice! Looks like a great addition.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2016
    Yes, keep posting.
    I wouldn't be scared to post what cooker was used. I post more cooks on other cookers than the egg.  Everything is fair game, as long as you keep it civil.  These are the words of the almighty tatanka.

It's good to see peeps not stagnating, but growing, exploring better options, when it comes to putting traditional q on their table.

Long gone are the days of the grumpy old fart group chastising posts and food not egged.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    edited August 2016
    I had a party for a few months(that looks like the chubby)..I did like it, but sold it for a stumps baby...I'm sure you already know this but the ball valve on the side is for a water jug..Measure out 2 parts water to 1 part apple juice and let it roll with poultry or pork, you will be happy.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• RedSkip
    What keeps the liquid from draining?  Hydrostatics on the internals?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Great grab V.  I hope one day I will make the transition to a smoker of this magnitude.  Is the guru a must for a cooker like this or you just happen to have one and wanted to use it?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• billt01
    RedSkip said:
    the pan is somewhat shallow, once the pan full the liquid will stay in place AND you can control the "flow" with the ball valve
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• RedSkip
    billt01 said:
    RedSkip said:
    the pan is somewhat shallow, once the pan full the liquid will stay in place AND you can control the "flow" with the ball valve

Gotcha, thanks for the details.  It's an interesting concept, one I've personally never seen before.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    RedSkip said:
    billt01 said:
    RedSkip said:

Gotcha, thanks for the details.  It's an interesting concept, one I've personally never seen before.
    Nature abhors a vacuum. In order for water to leave the jug air has to be able to get into the jug. When the water level lowers below the outlet a bit of air is able to get into the pipe which allows water to fill the tray back  enough to seal the outlet. That cycle continues until you run out of water in your jug.

It's the same principle as these type of bird waterers:

or 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SkinnyV
    edited August 2016
    I have to say I look out In the backyard and question myself.... Really ... Am I going to keep this thing back there. Is this for me.... It's such a beast. yesterday's cook was fun though.
    Its my nature it's my nature though to think over things....almost a little too much. 

Seattle, WA
  • billt01
    @SkinnyV

Its always nice to be able to increase your capacity, and that is a might fine cooker.

With the deal you got, i would keep it for a while anyways..

Use it as a water smoker, you will be able to tell the difference.
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga