Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - KFC Secret Recipe??

Options
Franklin, Tn
LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    They should probably keep it a secret.
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Interesting. The title reads "KFC Accidentally Revealed the Top-Secret Recipe for Its Fried Chicken" only to say, "Which I guess means that the handwritten recipe on Ledington's aunt's will isn't "accurate" but it's pretty much there" Talk about clickbait for country living!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I used to like KFC original recipe, back when Harland Sanders was around. I haven't had any in years though because it's just not the same any more. I don't know if the recipe/method really has changed (as rumored) or if it's my taste buds, but it just doesn't seem to be the same. In any case, I think it was originally the pressure frying that did the trick. Wish you could pressure fry in a pressure cooker! 

Wonder if you could pressure cook the unseasoned chicken, then dip it in the seasoning mix and into a deep fryer to finish. Might have to give that a try. Either with my electric deep fryer or my Griswold chicken fryer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Add msg and it's close (I read)
    Options
    I remember when I was a kid, the buckets of their chicken were a whole lot bigger, I was in a KFC a few weeks ago, the buckets are very small and very expensive.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I remember when I was a kid, the buckets of their chicken were a whole lot bigger, I was in a KFC a few weeks ago, the buckets are very small and very expensive.
    That's the same with everything these days. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    This is no lie...years ago headed back from vacation in FL we stayed one night in Corbin, KY birthplace of KFC. We bought what back then was called the "thrift box" meaning it was like 8 pieces of chicken with no sides. We took it back to our motel room and that was the worst KFC chicken we had ever experienced in our life!!! The joint was closed already or I would have raised holy hell!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    This was reported in the UK press, with one journalist doing a taste test against KFC from a local vendor.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'll take chick fil a over KFC all day long. 

Little Rock, AR

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I'll take taco bell over either. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yum!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Seriously? You must be joking.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Yum!
    I see what you did there.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    hmmm, not really sure I agree, so OBVIOUSLY I am ordering something wrong! Care to enlighten me?

BTW am I the only person now getting some friggen pop up adds that I NEVER got until today from this site?   Personally I find this SH*T very annoying!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    The only thing Taco Hell is good for is putting you on the hopper. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    The ticker on Comcast just said that KFC is denying this claim. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Good thing they didn't give up there recipe for their coleslaw. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I used to like KFC original recipe, back when Harland Sanders was around. I haven't had any in years though because it's just not the same any more. I don't know if the recipe/method really has changed (as rumored) or if it's my taste buds, but it just doesn't seem to be the same. In any case, I think it was originally the pressure frying that did the trick. Wish you could pressure fry in a pressure cooker! 

Wonder if you could pressure cook the unseasoned chicken, then dip it in the seasoning mix and into a deep fryer to finish. Might have to give that a try. Either with my electric deep fryer or my Griswold chicken fryer.
    As we all know the eating experience is based on a number of things, two of which include taste and texture. Even if you get taste right, texture can make or break the meal - look at all the posts here trying to get chicken wings crispy. It was always my understanding that the pressure fry was responsible for KFC texture and pressure fry is something that is very hard if not impossible to do at home. Not a big fan of what we call Dirty Bird, but I will try the posted recipe on the next batch of fried chicken and run it by my expert tasting focus group, the grandkids.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Good thing they didn't give up there recipe for their coleslaw. =)
    Go here. Dead ringer for the real deal! And if you don't have buttermilk, just double the regular milk. You're welcome. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    The Chik-Fil-A's around here are insanely popular, and I can't quite figure out why, they're okay but nothing special.  Ditto for In-n-Out Burger; when they first opened in Utard the cops had to direct traffic into the place, for months!

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Don't know if the recipe has changed, but the cooking method certainly seems different than 40 years ago. My wife and I got KFC maybe 2 times in the last 30 months, nominal original recipe, and we both thought it was too crispy and greasy compared to what we remembered way back when.

I saw a picture of the Colonel's pressure frier pan that he would carry around promoting his chicken. Evidently they were insanely dangerous. As likely to blow up as any of the old pressure cookers, but would send out a fire ball of flaming oil. He must have been quite a cook, not to mention a business man.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Botch said:
    The Chik-Fil-A's around here are insanely popular, and I can't quite figure out why, they're okay but nothing special.  Ditto for In-n-Out Burger; when they first opened in Utard the cops had to direct traffic into the place, for months!

Chik-Fil-A used to be a lot better than they are today. I don't know for certain, but I recall that they changed their fry oil a few years back. This coincided with a change in the color of the fried chicken. In the past it fried to a deeper brown/red color. Now it is a pale yellow.
    I also preferred the chicken sandwiches in the past that had smaller chicken breast, not the Pterodactyl breast that they use now.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Popeyes is easily better than either.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Blame this guy:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Acn said:
    I'll just stick to my spatchcock  both KFC and Popeyes are both nasty
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think the secret to KFC can be replicated, in addition to the ingredients listed as original, by emptying your grease trap of grease and debris, then dredging the chicken parts through that prior to breading.
    Options
    llrickman said:
    Acn said:
    I'll just stick to my spatchcock  both KFC and Popeyes are both nasty
    I didn't say that either were better than homemade - I'll take my own fried chicken before either (and before your spatch as well).  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I believe KFC used to be alot better i worked at one when i was in HS in Las Vegas and it seemed so much better then. I have never been a big fan of popeyes other than their strips and red beans and rice

as for homemade i have never even attempted it i could never do my grandmothers justice

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I had KFC the other day and it was outstanding.  Perhaps the pieces were a bit smaller but all the flavor was there, IMO
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    RRP said:
    hmmm, not really sure I agree, so OBVIOUSLY I am ordering something wrong! Care to enlighten me?

BTW am I the only person now getting some friggen pop up adds that I NEVER got until today from this site?   Personally I find this SH*T very annoying!!!
    No pop up ads here.
    You may have a virus. 
    Usually these are contacted from unscrupulous websites!   Are you on your Android?  Mac ios? Windows? 
    @rrp
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI