Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My epic weekend cook, wish me luck.

Options
Got 30-40 friends coming tomorrow. Meat wise we've got a 15.5 lb brisket, 9.5 and 5.5 lb shoulders, 3 racks each bb, spare, and beef ribs, 4 chickens cut up and 2lb bacon. 
It'll be an epic dinner or epic failure, but it'll give people something to talk about for a while. 
Hope you all don't mind pic updates. 

Bill   Denver, CO
XL, 2L's, and MM

Comments

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    You got this!!!  Only see one egg and lots to cook - "meat dance" should be fun. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    There's four in all. Two L's, an XL, and a MM. Brisket is all I have on now though. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I'd go ahead and get the shoulders on soon. At least the big one, give yourself plenty if time to get those beef ribs done. 

You got this!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Wow, very impressive. I'm sure it's going to turn out great. Remember to stay well "hydrated". Standing by for results. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Someone once said "with enough eggs, anything is possible."  You got this. Looking forward to pictures. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • schafe98
    schafe98 Posts: 46
    Options
    Absolutely epic.  Look forward to following along with your pics.
    Vacaville, CA

LBGE, Weber Summit, UDS, Weber Classic, Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China
  • BilZol
    Options
    First shoulder on. Everything going good so far. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    With four eggs, you've got this one. Looking forward to the updates. Wish I could come to the party.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • BilZol
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    With four eggs, you've got this one. Looking forward to the updates. Wish I could come to the party.
    If your in the Denver area we've got room for more, be my guest and come by.
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Thanks man but you're safe. I'm in Minneapolis and working all weekend. I appreciate the invite though. A few weeks ago, I cooked for about 45 for lunch and another (different) 45 for dinner and I was too busy to take pictures. You're going to be hopping. I'm sure you'll pull it off in top notch fashion. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • BilZol
    Options
    Sorry you have to work the weekend. I took today off just for the cook. This is probably more fun then the party itself. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    Time to call it a night. Babysitter on the job. I hope....

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by with plate in hand for the finale.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I love doing massive overnight cooks. It is the fun part of the BGE for me. Best of luck on this one, I am sure it will be awesome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BilZol
    Options

Shoulder number two on. 
    Brisket in a stall at 174. First shoulder is at 153. Grill temps still pretty steady. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    This is where legends are made. Enjoy it! Thanks for sharing the journey. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Looks to be off to a good start!  Can't wait to see results!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• BilZol
    Options
    On with the beef ribs. We ended up trying something different. I made an Asian marinade and put them in it late last night. Original plan was to put them on with the brisket but there's no room. Once these set a little the pork ribs will go on. Maybe an hour or so from now?? Winging it now. Plan A is gone. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Golfguy77
    Options
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That is a great looking cook.  Beef ribs can certainly take awhile, so that'll add to the dance. 

I hope you dont run out of beer.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • BilZol
    Options
    20stone said:
    That is a great looking cook.  Beef ribs can certainly take awhile, so that'll add to the dance. 

I hope you dont run out of beer.

Just coffee for me anymore. An intense coffee though....  =)

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Beautiful... There's a place in bbq for the little gadgets and toys, this is a perfect example. 
    Seattle, WA
  • BilZol
    Options

Ribs on. Shoulders wrapped. Now to start prepping the sides. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Is that a new egg in the pic with the beef ribs?  Looks like a brand new AR and platesetter at least.  Way to break it in!  Looking forward to the finale of this marathon cook.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• BilZol
    Options
    My phone died as everyone was getting there. I'm hoping one of my daughters or my wife got pics. I'm sure one of them did, but they are napping. 
    For the most part the cook went great. 

Brisket was perfect, burnt ends were like butter, probably too tender. 
    Shoulders came out perfect. Most people didn't even sauce it. 
    Ribs were spot on. I made the beef ribs too spicy for a few people though. They looked overdone but weren't. 
    Peach cobbler came out good as did the apple pie. This is the last piece of the two that were made. 
    The chicken. We'll, there is that. So, the brisket grill was free first. I attempted a refuel. Poorly. It went nuclear before I knew it. I choked it. It died. I didn't know. Put chicken on at 325 but temp continued to drop. When I saw it was at 200 I pulled the vent cap off, had blower wide open. Took forever to get caught again. Never made it past 300. Three hours later, after dinner, I pulled it off. Surprisingly those that ate it loved it even thought it didn't look like my best. Some took leftovers of it with them. 

Hope to get some pics up later. I need more practice to get my time management and fire management over time together, and learn how to refuel or plan better so I don't have to. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Is that a new egg in the pic with the beef ribs?  Looks like a brand new AR and platesetter at least.  Way to break it in!  Looking forward to the finale of this marathon cook.

The XL was just taken out of the box a week or so ago. I did a wok cook on it and smoked some pork belly/bacon on it then. It's the first real cook on it. I did the ribs on it the the peach cobbler and street corn on it after. While my L's feel like caddilacs, the XL felt like a Rolls Royce. It took temp changes and held steady very quickly and accurately. I thought it was going to be a monster to wrangle, but it was easy on me. The CGS stuff is a dream to work with. Cooking at three levels is so much easier the on the BGE tower I have for the L's.
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options

Here's all my youngest had. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That's one amazing Egg cookout.  Bet they were eating good in the neighborhood.  A lot of work there, great job.

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA