Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Day 42... 3 more to go

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
Good thing I have to work all weekend. Looking forward to cutting this up. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• minniemoh
    Options
    Looks like a piece of wood.  
    Hahaha! It really does. Sure hope it doesn't taste like wood.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I'm sure your patience will be rewarding.  A couple other guys are going 75 days on some meat.  I'm interested on their results too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    More like beefy, cheesy goodness 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Do you deliver? ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    What in the world is that!?  Interested to see the final result!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I'm sure your patience will be rewarding.  A couple other guys are going 75 days on some meat.  I'm interested on their results too.  
    Brent and I are doing 100 days. Results in mid Sept. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    @tarheelmatt... Road trip !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Maybe I was talking about some other guys!  :tired_face:
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    John, no.  We make them come to us, cuz we're bad a$$ and all.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    You guys would be welcomed!  We gots plenty of old, dessicated meat...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    minniemoh said:
    Have done 100 days....
    don't expect a juicy delectable steak.  it will be drier and firm.  the tenderness you usually gain will be offset by the lost water, so it will be, well, not 'dry', but just not juicy at all.  at least if it ends up like mine at 100.  but you'll have a damn beefy result.  Might find it a little metallic on the sides of your tongue too.  Interesting.

i would suggest trying some prosciutto with it before hand.  much of the flavor we think is wholly 'prosciutto' flavor is actually something you will taste in aged beef.  prosciutto starts out as very mild pork (even acorn fed), and so that strong flavor is more of a result of aging flavorless protein than anything related to the animal. and beef protein is flavorless too, until you age it.

hard to describe the flavor, but once you make the connection, you'll notice it in any aged meat. some of it is oxidation too.

but breaking protein into amino acids is what's happening in both cases, and the results are very similar

good stuff, 100 days, but i dial back and just go 45 days.  sweet spot. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    minniemoh said:
    Have done 100 days....
    don't expect a juicy delectable steak.  it will be drier and firm.  the tenderness you usually gain will be offset by the lost water, so it will be, well, not 'dry', but just not juicy at all.  at least if it ends up like mine at 100.  but you'll have a damn beefy result.  Might find it a little metallic on the sides of your tongue too.  Interesting.

i would suggest trying some prosciutto with it before hand.  much of the flavor we think is wholly 'prosciutto' flavor is actually something you will taste in aged beef.  prosciutto starts out as very mild pork (even acorn fed), and so that strong flavor is more of a result of aging flavorless protein than anything related to the animal. and beef protein is flavorless too, until you age it.

hard to describe the flavor, but once you make the connection, you'll notice it in any aged meat. some of it is oxidation too.

but breaking protein into amino acids is what's happening in both cases, and the results are very similar

good stuff, 100 days, but i dial back and just go 45 days.  sweet spot. 

Appreciate the info and perspective brother!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2016
    Options

@bgebrent try it raw too.  carpaccio (this is 100 days). cracked pepper, a drizz of olive oil, and some lemon juice.

this was one of the steaks off the small end .  a pic while it was getting soaked (as I was too, apparently).

salt only (wanted to taste just the meat, as a test)

sears quickly. (much quicker than 45-day-aged)

which means i over cooked it, especially after hot-tubbing

but still, you can see there is not much 'glisten' to the meat or juice on the plate. pic is blurry, and i don't usually post pics of smear-befouled plates .(apologies)

spinalis is dessicated to all hell at this point.  not  total waste (flavor is incredible), but it sure looks like a loss.  all depends on what you want out of an aged steak.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    Options
    Sorry your thread got jacked by us jackals, but, how'd your rotted steak come out brother?
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Did he died? I tink he ded. 

• minniemoh
    Options
    It's all good fellas. I won't be cutting it up until Monday - that's day 45 as recommended by the experts.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I would rather sip a good gin martini, and eat less steak that is completely off the chain. If I could age steaks perfectly and eat them all as carpaccio I would get juicy beef as a good burger. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I would rather sip a good gin martini, and eat less steak that is completely off the chain. If I could age steaks perfectly and eat them all as carpaccio I would get juicy beef as a good burger. 
    Is that haiku? Cuz i think that's haiku. Or Catullus. 

Either way. Definitely difficult to understand and yet erotic

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Definitely not haiku

A good gin drink, yes
    eat less steak off the chain, yo
    a juicy burger
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    That was not Haiku, that was the result of the gin martinis 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    man goes to doctor
    "I eat unaged meat" he says
    "angioplasty"
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You'll dine well with me, Fabullus —
    and soon, if the gods favor you —
    as long as you bring a good and plentiful
    meal, not leaving out the pretty girl
    and wine and salt and many pleasantries.
    If you bring all that, my charming friend,
    I promise you'll dine well — for your Catullus
    has a purse full of cobwebs.

(translation: if you bring the food and a hot chick, we'll have a great time. Because i got no scratch myself, bro)

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Well??????...... were waiting........
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Yeah, I've had that amount of fat on some I've done. I wish I was better able to pick 'em when at Costco, but so far I think it's just blind luck. I do try to "feel" the packaging. Also, even though from different cows, I check out the trimmed/cut ones they have on display.. e.g. hoping same shipment has similar cows.. Regardless, they will taste great. Congrats!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• minniemoh
    Options
    Thank you @Raymont. It was definitely a tender one compared to the others. I really like the marbling in the meat however. 

I think I'm going to have to trim off the fat tip so I don't have crazy flare ups with the sear. (Not trim the bark - just the solid fat tip). 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Thank you @Raymont. It was definitely a tender one compared to the others. I really like the marbling in the meat however. 

I think I'm going to have to trim off the fat tip so I don't have crazy flare ups with the sear. (Not trim the bark - just the solid fat tip). 
    i would cook one as is, its a much faster cook, flareups might not be as much a problem compared to a steak right off the shelf
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it