Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filling the Egg for that Low and Slow cook

JMCXL
JMCXL Posts: 1,524
I know its Friday and what would a Friday be without a discussion of LUMP. Stuck home alone and this is what I came up with. Check out a video I made about filling TBGE for that all important low and slow 20+hour cook.  This is the method I use for my cooks. 

https://youtu.be/fFOR0ktNkjM
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892

I use a small BGE and get over 12 hours on a 260* +/- cook with lump to spare. I give the egg a quick cleaning with the shop vac. Put a couple of big or med pieces of lump on the fire grate. Do the same for the chimney fire starter. Add smaller pieces on top of pieces already in the starter to about 1/2 full. Lite it up and in 10 minutes dump it in the egg. Then add the tiny little piece (nickel size and under) to the outer edge of the fire box. Let it heat up to 300-320* until the smoke is basically gone. Add my wood chunks, platesetter, and the meat. The temp will drop to about 220* and will take some time to get back to the desired temperature; roughly 30 minutes. At that point I adjust the daisy wheel and the lower vent. At that point its usually good to go with little adjustments as needed.

• I stir my old lump in my large. Dump in extra straight from the bag. No sorting. Dust and chips even. I have even topped off with dust and chips when i had no lump left. 

Then I light the thing, set vents for 250, and go inside to either prep the meat or have a drink while the egg settles in, or both

it's not supposed to be difficult. 

That's just my method though 

the amount of free airflow in a lo and slow is the least required in all BGE cooks. No need for cleaning or sorting. A low and slow fire is so small, it's almost impossible to choke out

Nice video, and clearly well done. I just don't think it needs to be such a production 

a long time ago, the selling point of the egg was that you could stir the old lump, dump some new to top it off, and let the thing ride. 

Somehow it all became so much more complicated. Sorting, wires, fans, monitors

Shrug
    Amen
    Irmo, SC
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    I stir my old lump in my large. Dump in extra straight from the bag. No sorting. Dust and chips even. I have even topped off with dust and chips when i had no lump left. 

Then I light the thing, set vents for 250, and go inside to either prep the meat or have a drink while the egg settles in, or both

it's not supposed to be difficult. 

That's just my method though 

the amount of free airflow in a lo and slow is the least required in all BGE cooks. No need for cleaning or sorting. A low and slow fire is so small, it's almost impossible to choke out

Nice video, and clearly well done. I just don't think it needs to be such a production 

a long time ago, the selling point of the egg was that you could stir the old lump, dump some new to top it off, and let the thing ride. 

Somehow it all became so much more complicated. Sorting, wires, fans, monitors

Shrug
    Amen
    I second.
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I do it simple like above. Stir the old stuff, or give the KAB a shake if the lump level is low enough to grab the handles, add more lump straight from the bag. Light it with some oil on paper towels. Let it burn.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    I have to agree with the simple method, if it didn't work that way I probably wouldn't do it. My shop vac is for cleaning garage, not egg. Heck, I haven't even had my firebox out to clean behind it in over four years and then it was only because I moved. I'm just glad to see I am not the only one using the lazy method. Sorry, I didn't even watch your video, when the first frame is a view of sorting lump I knew it would be to complicated for me  :s
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Not offended by you opinions all good.  I had 1 Low and Slow cook a while ago that went out and saw this method mention on the forum, gave it a try and it worked for me. I don't use this every time, but I thought it would be nice for someone that is trying their first L&S cook.  Even if you pick up one important tip from a post - thats helpful and the reason I look to this forum for advise.

I do stir my lump (every time) before pouring additional in, I just think that helps with air flow.

Thinking for what my next video should be about??? any ideas? 
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Another vote for the stir and dump easy method.  I do take everything out of the egg every few months and give it a good cleaning, but I don't do it on a regular basis.  Using the egg is supposed to be fun.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

Cat videos.  Definitely cat videos.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Legume said:

Cat videos.  Definitely cat videos.
    Good idea!
    There are a million ways to grill a cat.
    (Or so I've heard.)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Nice video. Better than almost any video on YouTube 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    JMCXL said:
    Not offended by you opinions all good.  I had 1 Low and Slow cook a while ago that went out and saw this method mention on the forum, gave it a try and it worked for me. I don't use this every time, but I thought it would be nice for someone that is trying their first L&S cook.  Even if you pick up one important tip from a post - thats helpful and the reason I look to this forum for advise.

I do stir my lump (every time) before pouring additional in, I just think that helps with air flow.

Just dumping in lump and setting it ablaze. Nothing to see here. No offence. 
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Shiff said:
    Another vote for the stir and dump easy method.  I do take everything out of the egg every few months and give it a good cleaning, but I don't do it on a regular basis.  Using the egg is supposed to be fun.

What he said. I do use fans on all nighters though. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892

Sooner or later the ashes need to cleaned out. The easiest and quickest way for me is the shop vac, bought a little one last summer and its a big time saver. The KAB seems to waste a lot of lump in my opinion. All those quarter size pieces of lump work well when doing a low-n-slow cook. Overall time to clean the small egg, put some fresh lump on the fire grate, and lite the chimney starter is probably about 3-4 minutes. If there are little ashes to clean, then its just a matter of filling and starting the lump in the chimney starter.

The only time I sorted lump was when I got a bag of crushed lump. That seemed to take forever.

• I'm an old time believer in stir the old and dump the new.  Worked for a lot of years.  AZ